Value of used M6 "Panda"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Years ago I ordered my dream camera, a Leica M6. When I received it it had all these funny black knobs on it, and I even called the dealer to ask what was going on; this was not the silver M6 I had ordered. He said something like well Leica is shipping them out this way. It doesn't hurt the camera at all. If you want to exchange it you can, but he said he wouldn't if it was his. Well I kept it and have used it for years. Now it has sat in it's case for several years and I keep thinking I should sell it. (IT IS NOT FOR SALE AT THIS TIME!) But with what I have read I realize now it is not just a camera with mis-matched but a production necessity for parts and has become somewhat of a collectors item. I saw one on eBay from Europe, but it looked like new and was an exhorbant price. Mine has box and packing like it but has quite a bit more wear on it. My question: For insurance purposes, or if I should try and sell it, what is a reasonable expectation of value for such a camera. Picture Below.

John Stitt

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

John,

Some years ago I bought one used because it was the only M6 available at that time (at my dealer) and cheap. I sold it a few years later (cheap) because I didn't like the black knobs on a chrome camera. On a regular chrome M6 you can put these black knobs for little money, so for me there's no premium for the special edition M6 "Panda". I don't think it's a collectors item for serious collectors.

FrankR

Guest Ron (Netherlands)
John,

Some years ago I bought one used because it was the only M6 available at that time (at my dealer) and cheap. I sold it a few years later (cheap) because I didn't like the black knobs on a chrome camera. On a regular chrome M6 you can put these black knobs for little money, so for me there's no premium for the special edition M6 "Panda". I don't think it's a collectors item for serious collectors.

FrankR

I fully agree, it has no collectors value at all. Anyone with a chrome camera can order black knobs and change the knobs on the camera - so it is not very genuine. If it is further quite a used camera, its value will further decrease to quite some extent since many Leica afficionados - user and/or collectors - only want (to pay extra for) near mint or ex++ cameras.

It know it isn't on many serious collectors' lists. But if you find the right person (who wants a panda), they could pay a bit more than a regular M6 chrome to avoid the 'hassle' of replacing the old chrome features.

I used to have a bit of a thing for them but now I'm not keen on the modern Ms' orange flash sync symbol on black shutter speed dials. Its picky I know but red is a Leica's colour.