First efforts with M8...

soulman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And a rangefinder of any sorts for that matter.

Looks like I need a lot of practice! Some of the shots show promise and I like the change of speed in shooting, in fact the whole experience, I hope, will eventually make me a better photographer. For the moment though I'm just messing about and learning what does, and doesn't, work with the M8.

Be gentle but constructive criticism and advice will be gratefully received.

3551938463_83090a362f_b.jpg

3552744860_60502a629b_b.jpg

3552708378_eca2ab75af_b.jpg

3551895313_478e01a8cd_b.jpg

All are out of the camera jpegs, I'll do some RAW conversions at a later date...

Thanks for the encouragement, these were shot with CV 28/1.9 and 50/1.5, I did something I've never done before and spent on a body ahead of glass, need to start saving for some Summarits and Summicrons now....

Any advice on a good lens setup for a newb to aim for over time? Probably limited to £1k per year for a while so will have to choose carefully. I was thinking o getting the CV15 f4.5, CV25 f4, CV35 f2.5 and CV75 f2.5 to give me a selection in lots of focal lengths and then, over time, replace the most used with leica glass. Does this sound like a plan?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the encouragement, these were shot with CV 28/1.9 and 50/1.5, I did something I've never done before and spent on a body ahead of glass, need to start saving for some Summarits and Summicrons now....

Any advice on a good lens setup for a newb to aim for over time? Probably limited to £1k per year for a while so will have to choose carefully. I was thinking o getting the CV15 f4.5, CV25 f4, CV35 f2.5 and CV75 f2.5 to give me a selection in lots of focal lengths and then, over time, replace the most used with leica glass. Does this sound like a plan?

Yeah - Or get just one good lens as use it.

That 28/1.9 should a lot of all around work.

The work looks good. :)

Only advice there is to work in RAW as soon as you can - A. you get better results, B. you'll find that the M8 is a much more responsive tool when it's not having to process JPEGS - MUCH quicker writes to card.

re lenses - My experience has been to reduce the lens range but to build up the quality. If you can get it a pre-asph 35mm Summicron series 4 might become your go everywhere lens with the M8. They're not too expensive. Ditto - the pre-asph 90 elmarits are exceptional value. Other thing to consider is a 24 - I don't own one, but it would be nice to have something wide enough for most circumstances without needing an external viewfinder.

Ideal combinations always depend on style, but I suppose if I was forced to make a choice from the lenses I own I'd stick with my 28 summicron asph and the 75 cron asph. It's amazing what you can cover with these. You could then stick a 135 at one end and a CV 15 (or Zeiss 18) at the other and have a very good line up.

Although I like them, on the M8 the lenses that I use less on the M8 tend to be the 21 / 50 / 90. All GREAT lenses, but they don't come out so often.

Enjoy...

Very few criticisme or none have to be done here. Very good pictures for tones, colours, composition and selective focus. I wasn't half good as you are when I first got my M8 and maybe I still don't.

My only advice is don't get caught in the lens frenzy that would just take you to have a lot of glass you never use. I spent a lot of time on eBay in the last year and collected several lenses often at a very good price. Then, when I,ve realized I was always using the same two or three started selling them out. So, this is my advice, choose a couple focal lenghts you are comfotable with and try to buy the best you can.

As for shooting in RAW format, Chris already told you that.

Thank you for all of the advice concerning lenses...

I think I'd like a 35 and 15 so maybe will try and get a 15 first and then save and get the 35 cron series 4 as suggested....

epand56 - thank you for the kind words concerning the picrures, I am spending a lot of time choosing focus (and still getting it wrong sometimes) and metering, the slower speed of shooting is really nice after the Nikon D300.

I think I'd like a 35 and 15 so maybe will try and get a 15 first and then save and get the 35 cron series 4 as suggested.....

Soulman,

thank you for the encouraging comment about my pictures.

If you're intended to buy the new CV Heliar 15mm in M-mount, just do it. This little lens is astounding, very amusing and versatile. Properly coded and with the UV/IR filters any problem of vignetting and cyan drift is almost totally solved. It is a very creative lens when used in street shooting and allows shooting without taking the camera to the eyes being sure the focus will be ok.

If you'll get it, you'll let me know.

re the CV 15 - you'll need to add in to it the cost of coding + a filter holder (which a very clever guy called John Milich can provide). IR cut filter + coding are IMHO essential with this lens on the M8. You'll also need to get a finder which covers 21 mm (or a bit wider). Some of use the Leica Wide Angle finder that goes with the WATE 16-18-21 lens. I like this - others swear by Voigtlander finders.