The Grand Opening

roguewave

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Woke up, it was Chelsea Morning & the first thing on my mind was the reopening of Washington Square Park. My wife & I played hooky (YEAH!) & set off to Chelsea to see the Picasso exhibit at the Gagosian gallery. It's worth a plane ticket to NYC just for that. The largest collection of his most productive years, mostly held privately by his heirs. It's nothing short of a total knockout. Gallery open at 9:00AM, so we we there as the grill went up. Only a few souls that early, so we had the place to roam in for hours. Unbelievable.

Then off to Murray's Bagels to sit outside on the bench & do the right thing, Bagel cream cheese & lox. What a NY Jew at heart.

Then we walked to Washington Square. It's different. I think I like it. It looks too new, but I love the new view down Fifth Ave & the wide open spaces to congregate.

Here is the day in snaps. Just played tourist & admired how lucky I am to live in the greatest place on earth. Come visit us.

[ATTACH]142196[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142197[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142198[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142199[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142200[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142201[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142202[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142203[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142204[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142205[/ATTACH]

Edited by roguewave

Thanks for the tour, Ben. Must be wonderful to live in an area with so much to drink in (and photograph) on a daily basis. Just like they advise 'write what you know' ... I'm certain that there must be a corollary in 'shoot what you know'.

I particularly like the image with the dog in it.

Kurt

Ben -

Terrific tour. However, I disagree with you about the gallery. We felt that the reason why all these pieces (and their are well over 100) were on the market was that they are inferior to much of his other work.

Ben -

Terrific tour. However, I disagree with you about the gallery. We felt that the reason why all these pieces (and their are well over 100) were on the market was that they are inferior to much of his other work.

Stuart, everyone is entitled to their aesthetic choices. That makes the world go round. I don't believe any of these pieces are "on the market", at least not publicly. Almost all of them are owned by his family & regarding the ones the museums "hold", they have no real ownership in. The family is allowing them to be exhibited.

Looks like you're having the same glorious weather we're having here. I've been out and about getting vitamin D by the bucketful. One day, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow or even the day after, but sometime soon..my wife and I'll visit your fair city.

Jon

Ben, thank you for this grand tour! I enjoyed it very much. I could hear Gershwin in the background.

I've read a glowing review of the Picasso exhibit in the New Yorker; it did make me want to buy that plane ticket. And, here you are, reinforcing it. Be quiet, will you? :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing these.

Ece

Ben, you've conveyed a nice sense of a spring day in the Big Apple (not iApple).

Let's meet up when we are there in September at Murray's Bagel. Semra and I love a good bagel and the one place we find them in Istanbul cannot compare to a good New York bagel.

Hey,

You forgot a picture of the Lox, Bagel and Cream Cheese :-) !!!! Throw one in there next time! Great shots. The park looks spanking brand new. Nice to see the fountain working again. That used to be my daily walking route to work back in the mid 80's. How I miss the energy of that place living in Orange County.