when shooting festivals i'm going to need a DSLR to compliment my m8's.

j_lir

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings.

So in this music festival season I can't be chancing any tele frames to the M8's.

Bonnaroo is on the 10th, so I'm under the gun.

I was thiking about the possibility of a Hasselblad 500 series digital back and a long 150mm lens.

That seemed idealistic.

I'm going to grab a DSLR for longer (and possibly night time wide work @ high iso's).

I will be using my m8's for 21-90+mm focal lenths. I really just dont trust my 90 APO wide open, its really hard to capture a concert moment compared to the 75 lux.

Anyhow, what would be my reasons to choose nikon over canon or vice versea.

I would be aiming to get the best possible glass, and really I'd love to have a summicron 180/2 R for use on one of these bodies. Any imput in that direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jesse

Jesse,

Im confused. you feel that a digital blad with a 150mm will get you closer than the M8 with a 75lux.? Have you included the change of crop-factor in your calculations.?

Now for 200mm and similar positively pick up the DSLR, as that is the right tool for that. though the real question is what you are most comfortable shooting with, personally I would avoid having different camera bodies with me for a event shoot. pick one and work it.

I do concert with a Noctilux, a Cron 35 / Elmarit 28 and when possible an Elmarit 90. Normally eveything at ISO 640

If you are there during the whole concert you have plainty of time to know the band and their stage reaction. Not always time to focus on what they do, but yes on where they will be and what they will do, after 10 minutes, musician are quite predictable as they have some kind of gesture routine. If they have a fix microphone start focusing on it and when the singer hangs on it just adjust on his face and shoot. I've shot at 1/8s as there is always a very very short time when musician don't move, shouting with a wide open mouth is one of them, adjusting guitar strings too. Panning works too.

If there is plainty of light the Elmarit 90 is very good for close shot.

Of course it all depends on how far you will be from the stage... if only a 200mm gets there then forget about the M8, maybe with a 135 2.8 but I see it complicated.

Also take care with spot lights right outside your frame green banding is quite common then. Some lenses are more flare sensitive, my Lux 75 is a flare nightmare my Noctilux does not know the word flare LOL

If you can afford it get a Nikon D3 with a 70-200 along with your M8 and you are prepared for anything !!!

I'd advice you go to any concert before and see what material you really need. Street band are good too for focusing on the move.

Have fun,

Eric

Edited by egibaud

When I need it I (and for very similar circumstances) I get excellent results with the Canon 5D mk2 + an old 70-200 L 2.8 - VERY good for low light, high ISO work. I occasionally use a x1.4 extender on this. You could buy this combination (new body / used lens) for reasonable prices. If you need longer, I'd rent - the Canon 300 mm L series lenses are good.

thanks for the replies.

the reason i won't be able to rely on my m8 and 135 is because at these bigger festivals (100,000 + people) the stages are 10+ feet up and the pit is quite far from the performers. There is an extreme angle that the M8 just won't cover quite well.

It's either rent a nikon or a canon.

anyone have any ideas why I should go with one over the other.

thanks

jesse

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd rent a 5D2 and 70~200/2.8IS. Good high ISO performance, good IS, excellent image quality. I used to have the equivalent Nikon 70~200/2.8VR but of the 2 found that the Canon produced a higher 'keeper' rate. That said with newer Nikon bodies things have probably changed and the latest Nikons are said to have very low noise. You might need a monopod to help with the weight though;)!

That's an outstanding and flexible combination. Just be aware that the buttons on the 70-200/2.8 I.S. easily get moved from the position on which you set them. I actually gaffer tape them in place as I only need them in the "away from me" position. This way I am not surprised to find that the I.S. was switched off. Good luck!