Leica 21mm F2.8 Elmarit pre asph

dommlid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Charlesphoto99 why do you prefer your 18 Zeiss over the 21 Leitz? I'm asking because I also own the 21 pre ASPH Leitz, use it more than any of my lenses but have recently needed a bit more field of view and have been looking at the Zeiss 18. Did you code your 18 and how? Do you have a link to any of your photos with it? Thanks in advance for any help.:D

I guess because when I was shooting film 24mm was my favorite focal length. It might also be becasue I have a 24mm finder and never got around to getting a 28mm finder. :o

But i think it's mostly because when I want to shoot wide I want to shoot wide (though not as wide as say what a 15 gives you). It's also a bit more compact then the 21 pre.

I put a Milich coded bayonet on it.

Here's a sample shot. Also, the opening shot on my website is with the 18.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I guess because when I was shooting film 24mm was my favorite focal length. It might also be becasue I have a 24mm finder and never got around to getting a 28mm finder. :o

But i think it's mostly because when I want to shoot wide I want to shoot wide (though not as wide as say what a 15 gives you). It's also a bit more compact then the 21 pre.

I put a Milich coded bayonet on it.

Here's a sample shot. Also, the opening shot on my website is with the 18.

This might fall into "dumb" question but why do you need a 24 finder when the M8 has a 24 frame line built in that you could bring up by using the frame line selector. That is one adorable shot by the way the expression is priceless.:D

This might fall into "dumb" question but why do you need a 24 finder when the M8 has a 24 frame line built in that you could bring up by using the frame line selector. That is one adorable shot by the way the expression is priceless.:D

It's not a dumb question. :) On an M8, a 24mm finder for a full-frame (35mm) camera is the correct viewfinder for an 18mm lens. This is due to the 'crop factor' of 1.33. 18 x 1.33 = 24 (Rounded) :)

It's not a dumb question. :) On an M8, a 24mm finder for a full-frame (35mm) camera is the correct viewfinder for an 18mm lens. This is due to the 'crop factor' of 1.33. 18 x 1.33 = 24 (Rounded) :)

...and the rest of the equation is that the 24mm frame in the M8 indicates what you would see with a 24mm lens on the M8, not an 18mm lens. It is not actually showing you 24mm, but 32mm or so.

...and the rest of the equation is that the 24mm frame in the M8 indicates what you would see with a 24mm lens on the M8, not an 18mm lens. It is not actually showing you 24mm, but 32mm or so.

Ok, I understand now I forgot that the frame I'm looking at is not representative of the field of degree of the lens focal length but the cropped focal length. So what frame line does the Zeiss 18 bring up when mounted on an M8?

h. So what frame line does the Zeiss 18 bring up when mounted on an M8?

In terms of a usable field of view - none. You still need to get an accessory viewfinder equivalent to 24/25mm on film to use with anyone's 18 on the M8.

Another vote for the 21 f/2.8 pre-ASPH, which topped my review page here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/45854-praise-mandler-lenses.html

It's the lens that dragged me kicking and screaming into the world of Leica rangefinders.

Just a paragraph on the DoF thing: A 21mm on the M8 will have neither the Dof of a 21 on film or a 28 on film (assuming constant aperture) - but rather something somewhere in between. The focal length will produce smaller image blurs - but the extra 33% enlargement needed will blow those blurs up more. I believe the rule of thumb is that a 21 @ f/2.8 on the M8 will produce the image circles of a 28 @ f/(1.33 x 2.8) - and you still have to consider final print size to calculate what will really appear sharp and what will not.

• 6 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although this post may be a bit old, I could not resist to comment on one of my favorite lenses. Especially, I started using it on the M8, you can see the results below.  I used it on the M9 with its own hood, but it vignetted at f8.  It is a wonderful lens and I really keep it. large filter too.

9528921948_c971535f8b_h.jpgM8-21mmf2.8-Garden101-1 by Pepe Guitarra, on Flickr

9528817408_0822a77e5b_h.jpgM8-21mmf2.8-SanLuisMission7-1 by Pepe Guitarra, on Flickr

9528806114_16b665a6f5_h.jpgM8-21mmf2.8-Tractor1-1 by Pepe Guitarra, on Flickr

21 pre is a little soft in the corners on full frame. There will be no problem on the M8.  I needed to stop to 5.6 or 8 to get them sharp on full frame.  It is a typical Mandler lens, mild contrast and very good sharpness.  

On the M8, it will have the angle of view a 28 mm has on full frame.

I have had mine since they were new in say 1985.   If you want the modern look, get the ASPH.

Confusing comments above.

IMHO, 28 mm on M6/7 and 21 mm on M8 give you exactly the same shot if you stand at the same position and point the same direction. Except that DOF differs, so open up one or two stops on yr 21 to get the DOF of the longer focal.

for illustration, see pp 106-107 in the book '50 Jahre Leica M' by Osterloh. And convince yourself that the relative positions of all elements in those shots remain unchanged when focal length changes. there is no such thing as a perspective or character associated with focal length.

I find the 21 a nice lens on M8, non-coded mine is recognized as 90 mm, but I see no troubles in corners with vignetting or color (I do carry the IR filter). it may be a bit large though to fit in narrow lens bags, even without hood (which I do not use/own).

indeed pre asph 21 seem relatively cheap now,

good luck, Hein

Also illustrated in Walter Benser bool from the `60`s.

Simply put, perspective, i.e. size relationship of near and far objects, is governed by where you stand.  Angle of view determined by focal length.

Now if you move to maintain the same size in near objects,  perspective will radically change.