R7 and beyond II - advice sought!

bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, I am using and enjoying my recent R7 acquisition with the 50mm Summicron it came with. This is far from being my only camera (or indeed, system!) so it is very much a "fun" item for me.

My question, for you to mull over in an idle moment, is what lens(es) I should look at next. I'm thinking prime, and I'm thinking tele- rather than wide. My M and LTM cameras are ideal for standard to wide use, with a clutch of lenses from 15mm upwards meeting my needs in that regard. I do have a 135mm for the M, which gets used occasionally, but it would be nice to have something longer for film use sometimes.

My past foray into the world of Leica SLRs included using a 180 f4.0 on an SL2. I found it sharp and contrasty, but slow to focus.

I'm thinking something in the 90-135-180mm range, and tending (again) to the 180. That would be a good complement to my M-mount lenses, while not duplicating. I'm also thinking that this is probably about the best time to buy, between the announcement of the end of the R-system and the concrete announcement of the R10 I cannot imagine prices will be more depressed than they are now.

So what would be your advice and why? Before responding, it may be worth you following the links in my signature to see the sort of images I take.

Finally, and alongside what I have said above, I am also considering a 60mm Macro. I could see this being a useful "walkaround" lens with the very handy macro capability. Again, your thoughts would be welcome.

Regards,

Bill

i enjoy the elmarit 180 and the elmarit 60. a doubler is helpful as is the extension tube for the 60 that takes it to 1:1; it also works with the 180 and is useful for some applications.

as an aside, i'm curious how many others replicate what they have in their m lens inventory?

Guest Posto 6

I can highly reccommend the Angenieux 70-210mm, which is light, extremely sharp, and very good value at present. Additionally, I find the (much larger) Leica 280mm f2.8, especially matched with the 1.4 adaptor, very good value and thoroughly underrated as well at the moment.

Another indispensable R-lens would be the Summilux-R 80mm- absolutely without equal!

Edited by Posto 6

Bill,

In that range, depending on budget, here's my recommendations

80-200/4ROM - OK it's a zoom, but it's an absolute steal at the price. Performance wise, not far short of the 70-180 APO. It's not too big and you can find one for £600-700.

80 lux - R version of the 75 M lux - not cheap at about a grand for a used one

180/2.8 APO - stunning lens ( I prefer the 180 summicron, but that's even more!)

Personally in term of value for money, I'd get the 80-200/4 ROM.

Charlie

Bill

The 180/2.8 Apo is simply splendid. If you are also considering doing some macro work, why not also consider the 100/2.8 rather than the 60, since you already have the 50 Summicron? It has a lovely look apart from Macro work, though it's a bit more cumbersome for general use, partly because of its size, and partly because of the relatively low fucus gearing, compared with, say the 90/2 Apo.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My slight concern with the later R cameras is the complexity of electronics built into them meaning that there is more to go wrong, as I can testify to when I tried out an R8 some time ago. The earlier R models are less dependent on electrics and would be my choice if I were going down the R path. The M path, on the other hand allows you to purchase a camera body totally free of electronics, and battery free which might be an environmental consideration however, which path you choose could well be governed by the type of photography you participate in.

I was a Nikon user for a good many years but ceased to be so with the demise of the F3 and FM2n. I now use Leica M6

Bill,

Just to remind you, you could buy a Tamron SP zoom - I have one and it is excellent. I've recently bought a Leica zoom but not had a chance to compare them yet. Also the Tamron 90mm macro is highly rated and sought after.

Indeed, James, and thanks for that thought. I have had Tamron in the past - I was particularly fond of a 135 2.5 that I had for years and, as you know, I have no hang-ups about putting non-Leica glass on to the hallowed mount ( :D ) but, in this instance, it's Leica glass or nothing. I already have an Olympus DSLR with a couple of the pro-spec zooms, so want for nothing in that respect. This is more about rounding out the R with a second, sensible, longer lens that will give me a tad more flexibility when out and about.

Regards,

Bill

Many thanks for the kind lens advice and insights. Particularly interested in the thought of a 100 2.8, maybe with a doubler. I'll let you know the outcome!

Regards,

Bill

Bill

Just to say that the instruction booklet for the 100/2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit says that the 2X Apo Extender is "especially suited" for this lens. (Of course it should be the Apo Extender and not the earlier non-Apo one.)

The booklet also posts the usual caveats of (a) put the Extender on the camera first and (B) don't try to use the 1.4 Extender with this lens.

Bill,

I am surprised nobody mentioned the 3.4/180 Apo-Telyt so far. Arguably, it is as good as the later Apo 2.8/180 optically, but you are likely to pay only half, maybe even only one third of what you will have to pay for the newer lens. There is plenty of them out there to be found.

One word re the 60mm: I would have never bought one, but there was one attached to the SL2 I aquired late last year. And I must say, I do like this lens a lot so far. Much more versatile than the Summicron 50 that also came with that camera. I am now at even at the point where I think I should sell the Summicron...

Regards,

Andy