New ideas for Leica forum

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to the stats, the Leica forum has 43,505 members, of which 6,448 are active members. That's a pretty good number! It's also a relatively untapped market. The Leica forum is surely the perfect place to share ideas, viewpoints, and of course, pictures. I think we all share a passion for this iconic and historic brand, would like to see it do well, and feel we have a stake in its future.

So it occurs to me why not expand the forum and add a few new features? Andreas's video on the future of Leica analog cameras has already been a huge success. Perhaps new ideas could be explored together with Leica's marketing department. Here are a few for starters:

1) Special offers on Leica products for Leica forum members. The introduction of paid subscriptions offering extra features and bonus offers.

2) Publications available for purchase featuring prints of Leica forum members' best photos.

3) Regular online Q & A sessions with top Leica people, eg: Future of Leica M, R, the new S, and compact models.

4) Regular surveys and competitions.

I have no idea if most people would like these suggestions, or would prefer the forum to stay pretty much as it is. But the internet definitely offers instant feedback, and is also a unique method for savvy companies to communicate with their clients. What do you think?

All the best,

David

David Killick, Freelance Journalist and Photographer, New Zealand

Edited by NZDavid

How about an area which could be used as an 'official' resource with Leica's documentation available as downloadable pdfs - especially the pdfs no longer available from Leica (eg discontinued lenses)?

According to the stats, the Leica forum has 43,505 members, of which 6,448 are active members. That's a pretty good number! It's also a relatively untapped market. The Leica forum is surely the perfect place to share ideas, viewpoints, and of course, pictures. I think we all share a passion for this iconic and historic brand, would like to see it do well, and feel we have a stake in its future.

So it occurs to me why not expand the forum and add a few new features? Andreas's video on the future of Leica analog cameras has already been a huge success. Perhaps new ideas could be explored together with Leica's marketing department. Here are a few for starters:

1) Special offers on Leica products for Leica forum members. The introduction of paid subscriptions offering extra features and bonus offers.

2) Publications available for purchase featuring prints of Leica forum members' best photos.

3) Regular online Q & A sessions with top Leica people, eg: Future of Leica M, R, the new S, and compact models.

I have no idea if most people would like these suggestions, or would prefer the forum to stay pretty much as it is. But the internet definitely offers instant feedback, and is also a unique method for savvy companies to communicate with their clients. What do you think?

All the best,

David

I think David has some good ideas here, and with 43,505 members this site has huge marketing and networking potential.

As a new member here...one who is still finding his way around...I assume all the administrators and those responsible are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts and passion for Leica....ie: not getting paid.

So all of the ideas mentioned take extra administration and logistics. Are there people willing to do this for nothing? Are there volunteers happy to step in? I know how much time it takes me to work on my little web-site, blog etc. I can only imagine the time involved, daily...in maintaining this site!

Peter

http://www.petermartinphotographer.com

Occasionally one of the sponsoring advertisers has a special offer for forum members, but any substantial offer needs to have the support of the supplying dealer or Leica themselves. We already have a paid subscription model here, if you choose to support the forum in a financial way, for which you get a nice warm glow feeling, as well as more and bigger albums etc. Whether Andreas has more plans for the sponsors, I don't know.

What sort of publications were you thinking of?

I am sure that most members would be willing to sell you a print of any of their shots if you asked them nicely :) I would.

Andreas, Rona|d and others have very good contacts within Leica, as evidenced by the recent video. However, as you know, Leica are one of those companies that like to keep their future model plans pretty close to their corporate chest, so whether they are willing to engage in that kind of manner, I don't know.

This would be an interesting proposal, though.

We have surveys every now and again, and there is always a competition running somewhere on the forum.

For example, there is the annual "One Challenge", to be held this year in Malta in October. This is now in its 6th year, and has a mirror challenge in San Francisco on the same day. The European competition usually has a prize generously donated by Leica UK, and a couple of years ago had a 4 page feature in LFI

There is also the Barnack Challenge, for people using screw thread Leicas, and the new D-Lux4 competition, the first round of which is being judged now.

A "film only" competition will be arranged in the (UK) summer, when I get round to it, for those of us who still do things with film.

We also organise special "days", such as the "Post where you are on January 1st" threads, or the "Leica Day - Feb 29th"

If you wish to organise a competition, or have a suggestion for a challenge, please let Andreas (admin) or any of the Moderators know, and we will see what we can do.

Finally, certainly in the UK, and I know in Germany, we organise regular "get togethers", either at a coffee shop (read "pub") in various cities, or at events such as Classic Car Rallies, salsa festivals on the beach and so on. In London, it is even alleged that they got outside the pub once, but there is scant evidence of that available :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Andy for your detailed reply.

"We already have a paid subscription model here." Sorry, don't know about it. Where? What does it offer for members? Discounts on products from selected stores would be nice. :)

Publications: I am thinking of books, calendars, or magazines published by Leica (or a third party with Leica approval), containing images taken by forum members. A ready market would be forum members themselves. What do you think?

Competitions are great; the more the better. Get-togethers would be nice, too, but of course they are all in Britain or Europe and I am on the other side of the planet. Next time I'm over...

A "Leica pub", now there's a good idea...

Interactive: Specific questions directed to Leica, within a specified timeframe, on a specified subject. Having a look at some other fora, eg German Watches, the company interacts frequently with the forum. It's a smart marketing move. I guess I am saying I would like the company to be more involved with the forum.

Sponsor membership details are available on the tab next to the Buy and Sell section

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/payments.php

Until about 3 years ago, Leica owned this forum. They decided that it was no longer core to their Customer Service or Marketing needs, and, thank goodness, Andreas took it on himself.

Dr Kaufmann is a member here, as is Stefan Daniel (plus, no doubt, other Leica employees and management in various guises).

Thanks, I just saw it. The main bonus seems to be bigger albums, but I'm afraid I have scarce time to post pictures as it is, so the incentive is not there for me. What I was meaning was as above: extra products and services (eg discounts) for members who pay a subscription. A win-win for sponsors, the company, and consumers.

Plus, I think that was a dumb move by Leica, no doubt under the previous management.

It should be a no-brainer for Leica to take an active (if restrained) part in the forum because it is a large and eager market.

Stefan Daniels' reply on the future of analog Leicas was welcome -- I wonder if he knew how passionate people were about them! -- and it would be good for the company to become more active again.

Hi,

thanks for your great suggestions - some of them are already running (but should be extended), some are already in the pipeline.

I'm writing this from Vienna where I'll tomorrow attend the Leica auction of Westlicht. Yesterday I discussed some interesting ideas going in a similar direction with Peter Coeln (owner of Westlicht / LeicaShop.at). With these as with your suggestions - they all take a lot of time, work and some money upfront before they can contribute something financially to the forum. But I'm on it...

Plus, I think that was a dumb move by Leica, no doubt under the previous management.

Yepp, Dr. Kaufmann expressed exactly this opinion when we met last year during the photokina...

Regards

Andreas

Thanks for the update Andreas, good to hear that you have some developments in the pipeline.

Could I ask you to take a look at the 'Suggestions for digital forum' thread in this section, which has been resurrected with posts from a similar thread in the digital forum.

Excellent, Andreas. Happy to help further -- just let me know.

There is certainly a lot of commitment here, most of it unpaid, so it's good to know there are moves afoot.

Have fun in Vienna! (where my M3 came from)

David