Taking film to Cuba

Nick_Yoon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

airport x-rays are a non-issue IF you carry on and DO NOT check your film in the hold and do not use film over 400 or 800 ISO. I travel all over the world with film. It gets xrayed numerous times. Any working photographer who travels with film can confirm this. Just be sure to NEVER put film in checked baggage, not even once. If you must travel with really fast film like P3200, then your powers of negotiation will come into play because P3200 can be fogged by xrays. In the USA the airport security folks will recognize fast film and hand inspect it by swabbing but they will have to open each plastic film container. Outside the USA, it's a gamble, you just never know. I strongly suggest not "getting smart" and mixing your lower ISO film in with your high ISO film in hopes of getting hand inspection for all the films. If you do this, you'll have to separate them out if you're lucky - if you're not lucky they'll make you xray the whole bunch. On another matter - YOU are lucky - it's much harder for me to go to Cuba with my US passport!! But many photographers go to Cuba and shoot extensively, using film, for months at a time. Where do they get their film if they don't bring it in?

Thanks for all the advice. I leave tomorrow for Cuba - according to our local contacts, airport customs is being very fussy and they're watching out for unapproved journalists travelling to Cuba with all the rumours about Castro's condition. They advised us to bring the minimum of equipment and try not to look like a journalist. So I'm taking just an Epson R-D1 with a couple of lenses.

• 3 weeks later...