Sekonic L-608 lightmeter

atournas

Hi Paul,

I have the 758 and the 208. I use the 208 frequently (always when I am not using a digital camera) and find the incident light reading the most useful. The 758 is used occasionally for flash and even less frequently for spot meter reading.

I guess it all depends upon your subject, but it is very rare I cannot take an incident reading either from the subject or from an area close in exposure to the subject.

Ravi

I had a 608 (is that the zoom one?) until someone nicked it from my bag somewhere in Florence. It is a decent bit of quality kit that worked absolutely fine though I didn't see much point in the zoom feature (it's not difficult to take a couple of steps forward or backwards to adjust what you are taking a reading of). I replaced it with a marginally cheaper model (558?) that works just as well for me.

Can I add a question to users of the Sekonic light meters. I would like a hand held meter for both interior use (not flash btw) as well as urban landscapes. I know this is a really broad question but what is the lowest cost entry point which is going to satisfy me in the range. I've looked through the Sekonic site but they keep on talking about controlling flash and that is not what I'm intrested in.

LouisB

Hi Louis,

I think the 208 may fit your bill - especially if you liked the old Weston meters (the Sekonic 104 was a rebranded Weston IV Weston Meter). It is ambient light only and has a diffuser for incident readings (I rely on this 90% with my film shots). The 308 is digital and wil do flash for you too - but you didnt want that.

Jacobs stock it, but so do quite a few shops in Tottenham Court Rd and its about £70

Ravi

Guest liesevolvo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In my opinion the L-208 is as small as it's 'great'. For more difficult jobs I prefer an old Gossen Lunasix 3, much more sophisticated, but the more versatile lightmeter is the Sekonic for me.

One 'problem': It's soooo smooth and lightweight, that you sometimes may think it#s not still in you pocket....

Lenn, Cologne, Germany

Excuse my English, please.

I got the L-758DR as well and haven't used the spotmetering. I got this meter because of the possibility to program each camera/lens and then because I wanted to see what the spot-metering would do for me. I find it of very little use because it require the right background of reflection to measure the light any precise.

But in actual fact, I use it as I used my Minolta IVF, only ambient light metering. And it's a bit big for most pockets why I miss my Minolta IVF :confused:

While not directly applicable, I have used an L-508 for years and think it's terrific. Feature-wise, the 608 is like one of these on steroids. I've used it primarily as spot meter, but the incident and flash features have been just the ticket at times as well.

One thing to be aware of, and this may be different on the newer meter, is that while the backlit display is super in low light, it chews through batteries in a hurry.

Can I add a question to users of the Sekonic light meters. I would like a hand held meter for both interior use (not flash btw) as well as urban landscapes. I know this is a really broad question but what is the lowest cost entry point which is going to satisfy me in the range. I've looked through the Sekonic site but they keep on talking about controlling flash and that is not what I'm intrested in.

LouisB

I'm not sure the L-208 would be sensitive enough for your interiors. The spec sheet says EV3 at ISO 100, which is two to three stops less sensitive than the M8 meter at f/2. The Gossen Digisix is about the same price and less fragile - but not as easy to use.

I would say the main thing about a meter is digital readings (numbers on a display) and that you can handle everything in one display without having to shift display mode for ISO and such.

And then size. It has to be compact or at least smooth to go into a pocket. The L-758 is not smooth and will go stuck in pockets (because of the spotmeter lens and viewer on the sides of the meter).

As an example, in the Minolta III you had to change display mode for ISO why you had to shift between to screens to get the overview. In the Minolta IVF (and Seikonic L-758) you have all things in one display, so all you have to do is press the READ LIGHT button and then scroll the wheel to see different F-stops/shutter times.

While not directly applicable, I have used an L-508 for years and think it's terrific. Feature-wise, the 608 is like one of these on steroids. I've used it primarily as spot meter, but the incident and flash features have been just the ticket at times as well.

One thing to be aware of, and this may be different on the newer meter, is that while the backlit display is super in low light, it chews through batteries in a hurry.

My L-608 doesnt get through batteries very quickly. I don't think that battery usage need be a concern.

Guest maddoc2003jp

I have and use both, the L-608 and L-208. The L-208 is good in daylight but the low-light capabilities are limited. From experience, EV 5 is the lowest "usable" value, at lower EV the needle position is almost indistinguishable from the stand-by position.

The L-608 is very precise and easy to use but large and heavy. I use it only for my Hasselblad 500C/M / tripod, when I need some exact readings and use the average function of the L-608. Unfortunately also the L-608 when using the spot-meter only goes down to EV2 (from memory), so at night I have to use incident metering.

Unfortunately also the L-608 when using the spot-meter only goes down to EV2 (from memory), so at night I have to use incident metering.

Are there any spot-meters that measure below EV2? The only one I can think of is the old SEI Exposure Photometer.