Brian Bower M8/8.2 book arrived today

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just had the apportunity to read Brian Bowers new book.While I can understand some of the negative comments I do not think the book is aimed the more advanced M8 photographer.The target audience is probably the newcomer or less experianced owner / prospective owner of a Leica Digital rangefinder camera.Much of the information is available in Leica literature but in this book the owner has this literature in a complete package.I have used Leica M cameras for many years and enjoy using them.I enjoyed reading the book .I believe that approx 30,000 M8 cameras have been produced .Many of these cameras will be used by people who are new to rangefinder cameras and digital capture.This book will be valuable reading for many of them, as a good source of information which will enhance their pleasure of using the camera.Many of the experianced photographers on this forum ( and their are some seriously talented people contributing ) will gain little if anything from reading this book.The target audiance for this book is "not" these people.

Brian

Well I'm an experienced photographer but M novice and I see little or no value in this book. It glosses over every subject, except perhaps the amount of coverage on lenses though you'd be hard pushed to use the 'small' info and poor choice of photographs to get much that would help you decide on 28 vs 35mm or one version of 34mm cron from another.

I have to disagree, it is not a 'good source of information' though I would would have to concede that there is nothing else available.To get hold of what is from the various sources on the internet would take little time and reveal more of an insight into the camera. I had made my decision to buy the M8 from such and had hoped this book would offer a 'real insight' - it does not.

Amazon UK describes this as the definitive guide to using the magnificent Leica M8 digital camera - it just isn't. Where is the detailed information on:

• using a rangefinder
  • the M8 metering system - how it works and how to get the best out of it
  • how to focus an M8 properly/easily- bearing in mind how critical focus is with digital and how different a rangefinder is to use
  • customising and setting up the camera for your own use
  • at least an insight into PP with the M8

There is not a photograph that shows off the M8's unique ability to capture such sharp images, use of minimum DOF on fast lenses or amazing sharpness across the FOV - I could go on. There's not an image that I couldn't have taken on an EOS 350D!

The statement on the back cover 'An in depth look at the Leica M8 and M8.2 it is not I am afraid. There is little of substance and a whole lot of padding!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

…The statement on the back cover 'An in depth look at the Leica M8 and M8.2 it is not I am afraid. There is little of substance and a whole lot of padding!

Totally agree. Instead of giving a "depth look“ it just may serve as an appetizer for the Leica stuff [something that always works with me :-)]. Could have been sponsered by the markting people of Leica.

Best

Holger

I have just had the apportunity to read Brian Bowers new book.While I can understand some of the negative comments I do not think the book is aimed the more advanced M8 photographer.The target audience is probably the newcomer or less experianced owner / prospective owner of a Leica Digital rangefinder camera.Much of the information is available in Leica literature but in this book the owner has this literature in a complete package.I have used Leica M cameras for many years and enjoy using them.I enjoyed reading the book .I believe that approx 30,000 M8 cameras have been produced .Many of these cameras will be used by people who are new to rangefinder cameras and digital capture.This book will be valuable reading for many of them, as a good source of information which will enhance their pleasure of using the camera.Many of the experianced photographers on this forum ( and their are some seriously talented people contributing ) will gain little if anything from reading this book.The target audiance for this book is "not" these people.

Brian

I'm with Ian and Holger. There isn't much to the book. It doesn't give an "in depth look" at anything. Bowers should have printed the book in a larger format because it would be a great "coffee table book".

I think Brian Bower has been far more gracious about the knowledge & information he picked up here on these forums than perhaps people here are about the (only) M8 general guide book. :rolleyes:

I agree. This forum seems to be a tough audience. I don't yet have this book, but I do have Mr Bower's earlier books on 'M' and 'R' systems, and I find them both very useful. They don't try to be all encompassing manuals on every subject, but they do provide good general information, and sometimes inspiration.

There is not a photograph that shows off the M8's unique ability to capture such sharp images, use of minimum DOF on fast lenses or amazing sharpness across the FOV - I could go on. There's not an image that I couldn't have taken on an EOS 350D!

Absolutely........at least with his previous books you could see what could be achieved with Leica lenses and Kodachrome, the reproduction quality was excellent.

This book has very ordinary results from an M8 with all the latest glass, I know that combination is capable of much better performance, I'm sure many people on this forum are thinking the same thing.

He also has a book "The Leica Lens Book", and Amazon shows there are 1,365,078 more popular books on its sales list. I think JK Rowling can rest easy.

As for the M8 book, good on him for coming up with a way of relieving M8 owners of their hard earned cash but I will not be among them.

Guest tvleeskr

The book is lo tech, but quite nice indeed. I'll gladly await the hi tech version as desired by the obviously very technical audience.

The M&M "Leica Manual" 15th edition (1973) is a superb book on photographic technique, with chapters by a variety of working Leica pros (yes, there were some, once upon a time). Bill Pierce on low-light photography, metering techniques and theater photography. Someone else on wildlife photography. Etc.

Amazon.com: Leica Manual: The complete book of 35mm photography [15th edition]: Douglas O. Morgan, David Vestal, William L. Broecker: Books

Heck I learned a lot from it - and I wasn't even using any kind of Leica at the time.

Archaic in terms of equipment details (the era of the SL, the M5, and Super-Angulon 21s), but still a book one can learn photography from even today.

Interesting aside: Morgan & Morgan was founded by Willard Morgan, first picture editor of LIFE, and Barbara Morgan, photographer and co-founder of Aperture. No wonder it was so good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Morgan_(photographer)

Unfortunately I awoke with a very bad back this morning and so thought as I'm laid up in bed a while I'd give Mr Bower's book a thorough read.

Well at least I tried! My opinion has worstened if anything. I don't pick up my M8 until next week but I could have written this book from the information available elsewhere AND I would have made a better job!

I don't think this book gives a decent overview of the M8. It doesn't help the novice user get more than he would get from the manual. It's not a reference book either. The images are run of the mill. He provides no real insight into M8 photography. There is no information that will help you take better pictures with your M8.

If anyone still wants a copy you can have this one of £10 plus postage! It still looks brand new mind you so does my copy of Gunthers book Leica M Advanced Photo School which is on it's 5th read! That's not for sale. Apologies for any miss spellings only I'm flat on my back and using an iPhone.

Anyway off to review something else if I can get my dear wife to get it for me!

I ordered this before I bought my M8.2 but Amazon have put back the delivery date in the UK for this book to 11 August. Should I cancel my order?

Karl

Karl, the book was written last year and, much to the author's frustration, publication was not scheduled until June 2009. Now Amazon UK have slipped delivery another two months. Unless there is a good reason for the delay, I fear it will be become prematurely dated. Such a pity, because I believe it would be helpful to prospective buyers.

You will have found this forum a mine of relevant information to help you answer inevitable questions. Then, when you have a camera in your hands, you can get on and master its simple operation. Apart from critical focusing, providing you shoot raw files, you have infinite scope in post processing to achieve truly great results.

I'd suggest a subscription to Sean's site is much more likely to help your photography...

Sean`s site at about £20.00 per year in the UK ( the same as 4 magazines) is great value for money.I would not buy a Leica lens without reading his test on it.The reviews are always well constructed and easy to understand.

Brian

I also have the book - so here's my little take on it.

It is light on serious content and it doesn't go into much detail to improve your shooting. BUT, it is a lovely book. The photos are beautiful and the printing of the book in general is 1st rate. It's a fun book to skim through once and awhile to get your M fix.

That being said, I do wish there was any "reportage" or pj mention and/or photos. Though I understand this is not Mr. Bower's interest, I believe it is a major factor for many M shooters.

I will, however, continue to enjoy browsing through this book for some time.

Best,

Ron

I ordered this before I bought my M8.2 but Amazon have put back the delivery date in the UK for this book to 11 August. Should I cancel my order?

Karl

Depend on your expectation. If you are new M8 owner and join this forum less than a week or you like to read everything about Leica. This book may be right for you.