Photographer's Math - May 15, 2009

roberts2424

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Photographer's Math has a statement about the S2.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I can't imagine anyone mortgaging their home to buy an S2. An amateur shooter with lots of money can afford one and an income producing pro should be able to amortize/expense one. So, this math doesn't make much sense to me.

My concern in buying the S2 falls on two things. The price and a more philosophical thought process of: they "seemingly" have thrown my R system under the digital bus so why should I trust that in 5 years they won't throw the S system under the bus. This digital world is moving way to fast for anyone to predict what will be coming down the pike in 5 years. Is Leica going to stick me in 5 years? I am loyal but I don't like being gullible.

GD Whalen Photography

This digital world is moving way to fast for anyone to predict what will be coming down the pike in 5 years. Is Leica going to stick me in 5 years? I am loyal but I don't like being gullible.

GD Whalen Photography

I'd like to stay with a Leica reflex system, but made the decision some years ago to go to a Canon body, which is cheap enough to discard or sell for peanuts every three or four years to take advantage of new technology, using either Canon L or adapted R lenses as appropriate. (For good measure, I also have a Hasselblad-to-Canon adapter!) This arrangement has worked well and the Canons have been totally reliable. For me, Leica's "R10" digital solution is too late and almost certainly too expensive.

The median price of a single family home in Saginaw Michigan plunged 53% to $30300 recently. So surely the photographers in that town are saving so much on home expenses that they can easily buy an S2.

Kodak list the DMR sensor as now discontinued, so hopefully there's a batch of them stockpiled somewhere. Nobody has done an "Antomy of the Leica DMR" dissection so we don't know what else is in there.

The great problem is that component level repair of the boards tends to be impossible so once the boards are unavailable, even if the components on them are not, you are, techinically, stuffed.

Given the one-of-a-kind nature of the DMR, it would certainly make sense to stockpile them for spares, as Andy suggests, providing the alignment and calibration processes to fix them are retained.

I'm sure there will come a point of time where the used price/cost of repair price curves cross, making it cheaper for the user to simply by another one instead of having it repaired.

I'm sure there will come a point of time where the used price/cost of repair price curves cross, making it cheaper for the user to simply by another one instead of having it repaired.

who's serial number will be the last one standing?? I am sure there may one or two that have never been used much, stored away in that grey box..