Scanner questions

phovsho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi again

The price of the Nikon scanners in NZ is just crazy - about 55% more expensive than the USA. I'm thinking of importing one from the USA, but have some questions.

Questions:

1. How reliable are these units? I won't have a guarantee or the ability to return the unit if it has a fault. Anyone had to return one that they bought? Comments?

2. If I went the 5000 route, should I get the SA-30 roll feeder? Sounds sensible.

3. If I went the 9000 route, how convenient is it for scanning 35mm film. I've heard this scanner produces slightly superior scans than the 5000, but doesn't offer a roll feeder. I'm predominantly a 35mm film shooter - hence posting on the leica forum.

4. The specs say that the unit accepts 100-240 volt. NZ is 220/240v, so I shouldn't have any power conversion troubles. Correct?

Would you take the punt?

Best

M

1. I have a Coolscan V that just stopped working, out of warranty. It cost me £250 to have a board replaced by Nikon UK. Whether that is a common problem, across all Nikon scanners, I don't know, but if they go wrong, they're not cheap to fix.

2. If you are a 35mm user, who processes himself, then that would be a good idea if you want to scan every frame. If you pick and choose your frames, then it's less useful, I'd say

3. Pass

4. Your voltage will be fine.

I've had the 9000 for some 5 years now. It still scans like new even though I've scanned a lot of images. By a lot, I mean 5 35mm negative albums about 50 pages each x 35 images per page, 3 35mm slide albums about 25 pages each x 20 images, and 2 120 albums about 30 pages each x 12 images per page. You can do the math. The results are still excellent. I still use Nikon Scan, although others recommend VueScan. I tried ViewScan but could see no practical advantage to it. Almost always, I take a full, unprocessed 16 bit tiff scan and leave any image processing to later work in PS.

To scan 35mm negatives, you can do 12 at a time. Once you get the hang of it, it takes about 3-5 minutes to set up and then about 15-30 minutes to scan the 12 images depending on how you set up the scans. During the scan time, you can do other things, coffee, surf the internet, or whatever. After 12 scans, it takes about 2 minutes to change the two six image strips and get it going again. So in about an hour, you will have scanned an entire 36 image roll.

120 scans with the original holder are ok if the negative is flat. If you have some curved or otherwise unruly negatives, out of focus edges are likely to occur. The glass holder is a useful accessory for these negatives, and also for badly curled 35mm negatives. Of course, the unruly negatives and glass holder will slow down the scanning process.

The one problem I've had is when I failed to close the negative carrier properly, and it got stuck in the scanner. This problem is easily prevented by making sure the carrier clicks surely closed before inserting it. If you fail to do this and it does get stuck, the remedy is easy but a bit time consuming. You have to disconnect the scanner, put it on a handy work area, and remove the ?20+ screws that hold the top cover. Once this is done, you can remove the cover, manually hold the carrier closed and gently pull it out. Then back with the cover, 20+ screws, and re-connect.

Hi see below:

HAD MY 5000 FOR 3 YEARS:

1. How reliable are these units? I won't have a guarantee or the ability to return the unit if it has a fault. Anyone had to return one that they bought? - HAD FEEDER PROBLEMS ON THE 35MM FILM UNIT - NIKON CHANGED PART UNDER WARRANTY. USE MOSTLY FOR 35MM SLIDES AND THATS IS VERY, VERY GOOD - I HAVE WON AWARDS FOR PRINTS FROM SCANNED SLIDES (VELVIA 50/100)

2. If I went the 5000 route, should I get the SA-30 roll feeder? Sounds sensible. - I SCAN NEGS A STRIP AT A TIME

3. If I went the 9000 route, how convenient is it for scanning 35mm film. I've heard this scanner produces slightly superior scans than the 5000, but doesn't offer a roll feeder. I'm predominantly a 35mm film shooter - hence posting on the leica forum. - DONT KNOW

4. The specs say that the unit accepts 100-240 volt. NZ is 220/240v, so I shouldn't have any power conversion troubles. Correct? - DONT KNOW

ONE THING THAT IS A PAIN IS THAT I CANNOT RUN SCANNER INTO CS3 WITHOUT RUNNING CS3 IN ROSETTA EMULATION MODE. THIS LOSES ME PROCESING SPEED. MAKE SURE IT WORKS WITH YOUR FILM WORKFLOW FIRST!

IN SUMMARY A GOOD PIECE OF KIT BUT AS ITS MECHANICAL ALWASYS PRONE TO THE ODD PROBLEM.

From what I hear, the scanning quality of the V, 5000, and 9000 are basically the same. The 5000 and 9000 offer multi sampling that helps with shadow noise a tiny bit, but dramatically increases your scan times. The 9000 supposedly has a version of ICE which is a little bit better with Kodachrome. It also has a more diffuse light source that makes it appear a tiny bit less sharp on 35mm, but also de-emphasizes the grain a tiny bit.

My take: If you shoot mostly 35mm, get the 5000. It's faster than the 9000. If you think you'll be scanning whole rolls at a time, get the roll feeder. I have the V and scan strips of 6. I find that I rarely need a whole roll scanned - at best, its 5-10 negs off of a roll. So it's not a big deal to insert a couple of strips.

• 4 weeks later...

2. If I went the 5000 route, should I get the SA-30 roll feeder? Sounds sensible.

You can also modify the SA-21 which comes with the scanner to behave like an SA-30. I recently did that. For taking up the film which comes out of the rear of the scanner I fixed a cardboard box with plastic foil padding so that the film stays clean.

It is raining outside so i did a little scanner comparison.

So,...here you have Fuji Fronter minilab scanner used in practicly all minilabs. It is used when you say: i want this film scanned on CD. Bad side is, ...that you are unable to control colors. You can just hope that kid at minilab know what he is doing. But what you get on the CD is, when we are talking about sharpness and DR, worth every €c.

Dedicated film scanner for cca 400€, Plustek 7500i. Since today i tought that this is decent scanner,...but,....it is not. I has just little more DR than Epson v350....and it is faster, but that is practicly all. Benefit here is, that it ships with SilverFast AI software which is mama of all scanning software. Yes,...it is really that good.

And finaly Epson V350. This is flatbed scanner with special film scanning device. It is simply awfull from all point of views.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Coffe was boiling,..so i forgot to tell the point.

If you want good home scanning you need few 1000€ worth of equipment and few months of education. It is also very time consuming. Be preaperd to scan each frame and manage it in PS for hours. It is just not worth it and it is better to find good photolab and give them few €.

Maybe later this week i will try to scan some Velvia and show you that too,..

-Andrej

I think you made the right choice with the 5000.

I've used pretty much all of the Nikon scanners since the original coolscan. The only problem I had was with the 8000, the transport mechanism broke within a few weeks. It was repaired under warranty and worked fine from then on.

I have the 9000 now but I'm actually thinking of downsizing to the 5000 since I don't shoot MF. The roll feeder would be nice as would the space savings on my desk.