No Aperture from Aperture on M8.2!

Actually it IS written to EXIF. C4 reads it out and so do a number of EXIF readers. The guesstimate is remarkedly accurate.

Yes. but not where normal applications look for it, as it's a guestimate. CaptureOne 4.x re-writes it into the proper field, just like CornerFix.

Cheers

Ivo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually it IS written to EXIF. C4 reads it out and so do a number of EXIF readers. The guesstimate is remarkedly accurate.

It is written to the Maker's Notes section of the file, not the public section. I wasn't aware that C1 wrote it to the regular EXIF location. Interesting.

Informative thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/39117-secrets-blue-dot-revealed-other-m8.html

C1 figured out how to extract and include the Maker Notes information into the EXIF because they were pointed to Carl Bretteville's memo on the subject. Someone should write to the Aperture team and make the same observation. Perhaps they will add this feature.

scott

Of course, rather than try and convince numerous software companies to change their product just to suit one camera, it might be easier to persuade Leica to populate the standard exif data field?

However, as this is not an exact measured value, but only an estimate, they may be unwilling to do this for various non-technical reasons.

My sense of Leica's conservative engineering approach is that we should be glad that they haven't removed or encoded this imperfect infornation, which they know we can read with a little effort. And I doubt that Apple or Adobe are very concerned about competition fronm C1. So I guess the best strategy is to start a rumor at Apple that Adobe will show the estimated aperture and a similar rumor at Adobe about Apple's plans...

Good luck,

scott

There was a thread on the accuracy was there not? Iirc, the were correct to within plus or minus one stop in about 90% of the cases, depending on the focal length of the lens.

The camera used to record the temperature of the sensor too I think, I seem to remember seeing it when reading out the complete data.

So is there no way to get Aperture to get the estimated aperture from where it's listed and rewrite to the normal place in the EXIF data the way C1 does it — even using a utility program?

—Mitch/Bangkok

Flickr: Mitch Alland's Photostream

As noted above, CornerFix can write the aperture estimate (either the Leica one, or CornerFix's more accurate version) to the approporiate place for Aperture/Lightroom/Photoshop or whaetever else to display it. There isn't a way within Aperture.

Sandy

An interesting result from the study of hidden Leica MakerNotes secrets, is that everybody who tries their hand at this comes up with different estimated apertures. What is actually saved is two exposure readings, expressed in EV-like logarithmic (base 2) units. One reading is from the sensor inside the camera chamber, the other from the blue dot.

Leica and CornerFix choose different estimates, as Sandy points out above. And C1 does still another. Leica and Cornerfix are never more than half a stop apart, I beleive. C1's output is a little stranger, since they like to quote all apertures as ending in .0 or .5, and tend to report estimates of f/8, f/11, and f/16 as the numbers 8, 9, and 10. For those of us who don't stop down that far, this is not a problem.

scott