I love my M5

• 1 month later...

Never owned one of these (yet), but I always thought the M5 was the most functional M, at least until the M7. I love those meters where you can see where you are in relation to where you have to go. Just a breeze. The Leicaflex SL is like that (one of my all time favorites).

But I'm finding the improved clarity of the modern rangefinder patch makes the older Ms really not an option (for me). I still may try an M5 someday. After all, I have big hands.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why, but I have just checked the prices of the M5 on fleabay and they have gone viral for some reason and I have no idea why. Most examples listed as being in good working and cosmetic condition are going for about $1,200+ with one listed for over $5,000.

Only a month ago I found a silver version going for about $600 and thought about buying it but didn't to keep my life in tact, that would have been cheap as it turns out and a nice investment.

Is there any reason for the sudden surge in the price of the M5 as they appear to have increased exponentially way more than the other film Ms.

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

love it....../Users/arnoudbakker/Desktop/kiekjesschieter.jpg

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like mine a lot, had it a few weeks, but a couple of questions:

1. Can I use my 135mm f/2.8 Elmarit (goggled) lens on it? The idea just occurred to me, haven't tried mounting the lens yet.

2. How long do you guys leave the shutter cocked/meter operational? I have had mine in that state for a few weeks but should I avoid that? Sure I read some users don't regard it as an issue.

Thanks

Edited by akiralx

i had mine running like this for over a year now and the battery is still working. i wouldn't really care about it. depending on what batteries you use they aren't dead expensive (i got mine converted to sr44)

oh yeah and here's a picture of mine. though you don't see to much of it:

• Like 3

akiralx

1. Can I use my 135mm f/2.8 Elmarit (goggled) lens on it? The idea just occurred to me, haven't tried mounting the lens yet.

2. How long do you guys leave the shutter cocked/meter operational? I have had mine in that state for a few weeks but should I avoid that? Sure I read some users don't regard it as an issue.

1) No problem, the M5 is the only M where the 135 Elmarit looks at home!

2) With the shutter cocked, the meter arm is in position behind the lens. Shouldn't be a problem, unless you are careless changing lenses. Are you concerned about battery life?

John

Dear all,

A new member, still hard to make a decision to chose M4-P or M5 body, any advice?

Thanks

This is easy. You asked the question in the I love My M5 thread, so your subconscious has already decided! :p

Dear all,

A new member, still hard to make a decision to chose M4-P or M5 body, any advice?

Thanks

But in all seriousness, it does not matter a whole lot which one you pick. Do you want what is arguably one of the best matched needle meters? M5. Do you want to experience the traditional M gestalt? M4-P.

Eventually, you will own both. Or more. I love them all and use them all - M3, M5, M6, M7 + a whole slew of mechanical SLR's missing the red dot.

M5 compared to the other M's is an example how design can be timeless. A mint M3 or a mint M6 looks like it could be new. But there is no doubt that the M5 is from another time. It looks like an American version of Leica. Big, ugly and trying to please everyone.

The metering is great, though.

--

Mikael Siirilä

mikael.siirila.net

Dear all,

Thanks

Hardly going to get an objective response on this thread. It is a subjective topic, M4 users will love theirs for good reasons. I love my M5 because it is a reliable, durable, precision engineered camera with some great little features such as bright view finder and frames, good metering, best ergonomics regardless of it being bigger than other Ms, and only 30,000 odd were ever made, grouse.

BTW, when I carry my M5 around my neck sideways which is unique to the M5, I always get people coming up to me to say what a great, lovely, top, beaut, nice camera I have. So it is an ego booster as well :D:cool:.

Dear all,

I have a change to buy a black body, 2-lugs, but some of dents on the top plate, outlook around 70% new condition, how to check the body? such as shutter accurate.

thanks a lot

Ask if you can put a film through it before finalising the purchase. You can roughly test the 1/2 second speed by firing the shutter and at the same time saying to yourself. "One thousand' ... it takes one second to say this. If the shutter has not closed by the time you are halfway through ie just as you say 'One thou .... ' then the shutter is likely running slow at the slow speeds. It's best to check the shutter speeds with the bottom plate removed and the rear door 'UP' so you can also observe the shutter blinds opening and closing as well as listening to them. You should be able to roughly check the other slow speeds by comparing each against the next and making sure they sound roughly half as fast or slow as the adjacent speed.

You should check the meter reading against a handheld exposure meter ... but make sure the camera has the the correct 1.35v battery installed unless it has been converted to 1.5v.

The one second speed/B setting (an unclicked B1 will appear in the viewfinder) is in effect only a 'B' setting and the shutter will stay open for as long as the shutter release is depressed ... similarly the unclicked B2 B4 B8 etc speeds.

If the top plate is dented you should check the rangefinder for alignment and accuracy ... when in focus the two images should align perfectly with no overlap.

If the meter is not working check the battery compartment to make sure a battery is fitted and at the same time check for battery leakage/corrosion. Pulling the field of view selector functions as a battery check whence the meter needle at the bottom of the finder should swing across left to right if the fitted battery is OK.

Another cause of a non-working meter could be a defective/bent swinging carrier arm ... this is not visible and is difficult to check. If defective it could be an expensive repair.

Check the field of view selector ... as you push it the three fields of view should pop up in the finder and they should all be clearly defined.

Check the film frame counter ... it should advance one frame at a time with each shutter actuation.

dunk

• Like 1

Ask if you can put a film through it before finalising the purchase. You can roughly test the 1/2 second speed by firing the shutter and at the same time saying to yourself. "One thousand' ... it takes one second to say this. If the shutter has not closed by the time you are halfway through ie just as you say 'One thou .... ' then the shutter is likely running slow at the slow speeds. It's best to check the shutter speeds with the bottom plate removed and the rear door 'UP' so you can also observe the shutter blinds opening and closing as well as listening to them. You should be able to roughly check the other slow speeds by comparing each against the next and making sure they sound roughly half as fast or slow as the adjacent speed.

You should check the meter reading against a handheld exposure meter ... but make sure the camera has the the correct 1.35v battery installed unless it has been converted to 1.5v.

The one second speed/B setting (an unclicked B1 will appear in the viewfinder) is in effect only a 'B' setting and the shutter will stay open for as long as the shutter release is depressed ... similarly the unclicked B2 B4 B8 etc speeds.

If the top plate is dented you should check the rangefinder for alignment and accuracy ... when in focus the two images should align perfectly with no overlap.

If the meter is not working check the battery compartment to make sure a battery is fitted and at the same time check for battery leakage/corrosion. Pulling the field of view selector functions as a battery check whence the meter needle at the bottom of the finder should swing across left to right if the fitted battery is OK.

Another cause of a non-working meter could be a defective/bent swinging carrier arm ... this is not visible and is difficult to check. If defective it could be an expensive repair.

Check the field of view selector ... as you push it the three fields of view should pop up in the finder and they should all be clearly defined.

Check the film frame counter ... it should advance one frame at a time with each shutter actuation.

dunk

Dear dkpeterborough

thank you very much for your help indeed

TS

• 6 months later...

Too much in advance with its time in the M world ...:(

I admire the technical work made on them 40 year ago.

• Like 5

• jaapv pinned and unpinned this topic