I love my M5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

^ The thing hanging from the strap (which says Nikon, btw :eek::rolleyes:) is a Photon Microlight flashlight. It's really handy in low light, especially in a situation where you're aiming at a subject with light on it from a place with no light on you. By pressing the flashlight on the viewfinder illumination window and shining some light you can still see the viewfinder information even though you're in complete darkness.

Great idea, I suppose any micro flashlight would to the job, I must look out for one at my local electrical supplies store.

I'm not exactly sure how you do this though, do you mean in your description that the light is directed at the illumination window or just in the direction of the subject in frame? cheers

I'm not exactly sure how you do this though, do you mean in your description that the light is directed at the illumination window or just in the direction of the subject in frame? cheers

Sounds a bit too pro already :). But why not if someone is handy. It doesn't bother much as it is, though, and another gizmo would take up a bit more space and the camera would look bigger too.

Great idea, I suppose any micro flashlight would to the job, I must look out for one at my local electrical supplies store.

The light is directed at the frame line illumination window,being careful to keep the light from shining into the viewfinder window.The frame lines should light up like a neon sign.

Edited by Robert J
forgot some words.

• 4 months later...

Well I'm doing my bit for elevating the M5 to the lofty heights of iconic status. Most everywhere I go in public it hangs proudly around my neck, downways, not sideways like any other camera on this planet. Four out of 5 outings I will have someone want to know more about the M5, last weeek one dude was so impressed he asked where he could buy one. Oversized plague proportion number Japanese plastic blobs barely raise an eyelid they are so common place.

Then on Sunday just gone the whole M5 promotion went up one level when we went national in a newspaper. I didn't realise until someone text the cook to tell her that we were starring in a News Corp daily. We're slightly out of focus but there is the M5 front and centre aound my neck for the world to admire. I've scanned the shot but I don't know how to convert it to jpg, and the shot is sideways, just to stay in theme ;).

I wouldn't own another film camera.

K&C Bourke St Dec 2010.pdf

Edited by colin_d
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking for a flash unit for my M5, any suggestions?

I am partial to the Vivitar 283. Big but balances nicely on the M5. Lots of aperture selections possible with the pretty good multi-position auto-thyristor. AA batteries. Tilts through 90 degrees (no swivel, though). Fairly rugged, especially if you take off the plastic foot when it breaks and replace it with a heavy duty metal aftermarket foot. The metal ones are not "hot" so you need a cable. Makes it more convenient to use off camera anyways.

A lot of the Nikon SB's work very well. I also like the little black rectangular Rollei's (black with red dot ;). The little CL flash for the Leica CL is pretty cool if small. So is the SB-20 or 24.

• Like 1

Ok, I've found all bar the CL flash on e-bay, which one of the Vivitar 286, Rollei (little rectangular one) and Nikon SB-24 would you favour? I would use it indoor and outdoor, mostly for portrait type shots.

Does the Rollei tilt, it doesn't look like it would?

Ok, I've found all bar the CL flash on e-bay, which one of the Vivitar 286, Rollei (little rectangular one) and Nikon SB-24 would you favour? I would use it indoor and outdoor, mostly for portrait type shots.

Does the Rollei tilt, it doesn't look like it would?

Rollie does not tilt. I have a handfull of them and prefer the ones with an thyristor that you can slide open or shut. There are a lot of different models, I think they are identified by the GN number. I have a 28, 32, and 35, if I recall. I like these because they are unobtrusive - and have that cool red dot, so I keep them stricklty cause they are stylish and I am vain. I have cannibilized some to keep others running, and I don't think I have ever paid more than $5 for one. They work, though. Light is light.

I prefer the tilt/bounce abilities of the Vivitar 283. I bought mine in the early 1970's so I am not familiar with the 286. It has a test button, so you can fire off a bounced light, and the flash unit will flash a green button if you got enough light. When I need flash, the Vivitar is the one I grab 90% of the time, even if it is as big as a bird house. It's the flash I used when I get roped into photographing an event at night, either indoor or outdoor.

As for the Nikons, I usually grab the tallest one when I use one, so as to be as far away from the lens axis as possible. Less red-eye. I have an SB-E that is pretty nice. The Leica & CL flashes were all gifts and I would have never bought them on my own. The SF-20 & SF-24 are nice units, especially paired with my M7 that has ttl, but they are fairly limited for the price. The CL flash I hardly ever see offered for sale. They are not identified anywhere other than the word Leica. No model or serial number visible. They were kit flashes - don't know how many were made. Very nice, though. Very tiny. Fits easily in a shirt pocket and leave room for film. Manual only - no thyristor feedback.

As you can tell, if you need help with modern flash units, I am as useless as a caveman. Which is why I love my M5!

I'm a little crazy about the M5...I also have a third one..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

all three..

After I got my first M5 I decided to dominate the world-wide market for them. I have made my point and will be leaving in the morning ;)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Colin, I'm using Acrobat 8.x and you can save a PDF as a jpeg among many other types.

Would anyone tell me what it's like to carry the camera "on it's dide"? It seems like it would be much more balanced hanging down the long axis rather then flopping over the short side with a heavier lens.

Is that your experience? When I bought my M, I didn't see a decent 3 lugger so I ended up with a used MP. Thanks in advance for sharing your handling experience-

I went from using a Nikon F3 (which I found to be a most reliable camera) to using the M5 two lug version. I have no problems with the camera hanging vertical at all.

The perceived inconvenience of getting it up to the eye for quick use is a a non issue. I can raise it and settle it in the hand quicker than I did with the F3, but then that goes with all Ms because they are not as bulky.

It does sit neatly against the body hanging vertically which makes it feel more like part of your clothing or a large piece of jewellery.

Additionaly if you are an egotist like me, having it hanging vertically creates a lot of interest from curious on-lookers and I get plenty of compliments. :D

• Like 1

ok, here is mine.

although I find the M5 looks way different :o, it really fits well in the hand :)

Yes, i do have a viewfinder for 28mm :D

cheers, OLAF

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I had a M5 some years ago and Loved it. I can't remember why I let it go, but it was probably a case of GAS and lusted for something else.

Since then I said if I could find another M5 that was a 3 lug, Chrome and was close to Mint, I'd go for it.

A friend that I have known for 4-5 years on RFF was in need of funds to cure his case of GAS, and offered to sell me, you guessed it, his Chrome, 3 Lug M5. Better yet it was at a really fair price. Thanks Ned.

Here it Is

• jaapv pinned and unpinned this topic