I love my M5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have recently acquired a nearly mint M5. I too have fitted it out with a Mr Zhou half case but with a redundant Leica Ultravid strap that I had to hand. At present I am using a Summarit f2.5 35mm lens. My coat pockets are a little too small for this combination. ​​

• 3 months later...

I've got an M5 coming in today (hopefully)! I have long been intrigued by them, and I managed to land a pretty solid deal on a 3-lug (provided it works of course, which I'm hopeful that it does). 

I plan to mostly use my 50mm and 90mm lenses on here, maybe the occasional 35mm usage when I take it off my MP (which is almost never).

Well that was quick! It arrived safe and sound. I cleaned it up this afternoon and from what I can tell it's in great shape. I'll test the meter out later when I get my batter adapter. It feels slightly rough on the film wind (compared to my MP) but I imagine a good tune-up from DAG or Sherry K would make it good as new. Overall I'm quite pleased with it and looking forward to using the Leica everyone loves to hate on ;)

25028599483_e7632e0dd8_b.jpgLeica M5 - The "unloved" Leica by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

• Like 7

Have a questions about the rangefinder patch on my M5. There are numerous short, fine streaks/markings that run from the outer edges of all four sides of the patch. They extend approximately 30% of the way across the patch with the center portion of the patch being completely clear of any markings. It in no way interferes with use of the rangefinder. I am just wondering if this phenomenon is normal for these cameras. I have had the camera for a number of months 5 or 6. The markings do not seem to be getting any worse.

It's probably the rangefinder patch starting to decement, it seems like mine is doing the same thing. It may worsen over time, I talked to Sherry K about a tuneup today and she can take care of it (and the whole camera!)

Thanks for the response. It is good to hear it is something that can be corrected. I have become pretty attached to the M5. The only constant aggravation is the two lugs on one end. I sprung for a, second, three lugger. When I first started looking at M5s, about a year ago, you could get three of them for the price of a TTL M6. Now it seems like it is down to two. I think the word is getting out.

Edited by Wayne

Thanks for that. It is surprising that more did not go for the modification. In looking at the M5 cameras for sale, it seems there are 9 two lug cameras for every one three lug model. I considered just buying a Luigi case and strap for my two lug camera, but stumbled across a great deal on the three lug for about 20% more than the case and strap. It was a pretty easy decision at that point.

But both the two lug and three lug are black..................now I guess I need a sliver M5. :)

• 5 months later...

After loving my M5 I was coerced into large format and traded her in. I still have large format gear but recently I bought an M3 for a fair price (1 owner, originally bought in Hamburg 1955) and for a lens I had to buy an IIIf with a Summitar lens in very good condition. I've recently lashed out and gone to the dark side getting an ME while still loving film as well. Of all the 35mm cameras I've owned, including the Pentax Mzn, Olympus trip, Nikon F3, and Leicas the M5 still holds a very special place in my camera heart. Easily the most superior ergonomic body to be held and used up to the eye, and the two lug always got lots of admirers. When I read this post it gives me an urge to find another M5, but domestic peace would not survive it so I have to just look and weep.

• 1 month later...

::

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

::

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

One more shot of my cherished 1975 50th anniversary M5.

• Like 7

I finally got my black M5 from Sherry Krauter.  She had a medical problem which she is now over.  I had her install the third lug and recover the M5 I shot with in July.  The M5 and I are headed to the Philippines in a couple days along with HP5 and a 35/90 combo.  I just sold my M9 and returning to film.  My present film M's consist of a M5 (which I am still getting to know) and a 1959 M2.

• 3 weeks later...

I am finishing up a trip to the Philippines and have the M5 with 35/90 lens along with a lot of HP5.  I did not shoot as much as I thought I would be did enjoy the handling of the M5.  Although the tropics calls for color, I have only shot b&w in the M5.  Tied with the 35f1.2 Nokton, you could easily use it as a weapon.  It is heavy but balances well.  I think a slightly smaller lens on the camera might help a lot so the 50 Summicron will be the primary lens for an upcoming trip to Mexico.

I sold my M9 just before leaving for the Philippines.  It was my last digital camera and for color digital still rocks.  So I purchased a Fuji X70 since I had the original X100 and really liked it.  The technology of forty plus years in photography is obvious.  If push came to shove, I would leave the X70 at home but for something lighter I would be tempted by my M2.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, the M5 is growing on me more and more.  I just returned from two weeks in Mexico and the M5 was the Leica of choice loaded with HP5.  I acquired a mint black 50f1.5 Nokton ASPH a couple of days before leaving and it lived on the M5.  It is actually lighter then my chrome 50 Summicron, looks great on the M5 and gives me one more stop.  

Now, I just have to leave the Fuji X70 at home and return 100 percent to film.

• Like 2

Here is a photo of my recently CLA'd M5 from Sherry Krauter at Golden Touch. I have the Zeiss Biogon 25 mm lens on the M5 with a MetraStar light meter which goes with me everywhere.

Best Leica M ever made!!! - no question.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • jaapv pinned and unpinned this topic