I love my M5

• 2 weeks later...

Something to pass on ...  (who will find the fault? No- it's not the Planar and no- not the used filter  :) )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Leica M5 with an upgraded M6 viewfinder.

Elmarit 28 v3.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Today, I remember that my M5 has not been used for a while.

Just take it out and today I changed my mind :p the best M IS my M5, for today.

The viewfinder is what is made for photographer, just enough informations to build a GOOD picture: no flare, shutter speed show, meter needle to know under/over exposure, spot for "metering area", no secondary framelines, ISO/ASA/DIN seen on top (like M10 -_- ), and more.

This M5 is confortable in my hand, plenty room to handle with assurance and pleasure, everything is smooth.

Forgot that this has an adjustable self-timer too, in case of no cable release for low shutter speed.

:) I'am happy to have choice of fine Ms.

Taken from my reply to best film M thread.

Just to remind me that best film M (or other bests) does't exist ;).

It depend on so many parameters and situations.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this for a song. Very cool.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With black chrome 50mm Summilux ASPH. My favourite analogue combination.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

I used many different M's for work through the years. I ended with two black, three lug M5's. A friend at another paper had three M5's. For sports and other long throw events I had Canon's.

Nothing could touch my M5's mated with my Summilux lenses. Just the best M film cameras ever made (for me!!!!!)

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

They are surprisingly ergonomic in my big hands.  I had a pair of these M5s in the last decade, at a time when I was cycling out of rangefinders.  Great meters, and I've always loved the match/needle display.  I believe both the Leicaflex SL and the M5 (and later the R8/9) were developed with the idea of function over looks (form following function).  Truly an under appreciated shooter.  Now that I'm getting back to rangefinders, I'm favoring the higher magnified M3, but the M5 remains my favorite 0.72 Leica M.  

• Like 1

Funny, everyone has a favorite and reasons why they favor a specific film model.  I have bought and sold Leica's since 1975 but there was always one in my collection along with Nikon, Canon, Contax and perhaps a 'Blad.  I keep coming back to the M2 as it combines the classic shape with the best viewfinder of the lot which happens to frame my favorite focal lengths.

I had never owned an M5 until a year and a half ago.  I had wanted to try one for years but just never got around to picking up a body I knew would work etc.  Well, one day I was talking to Sherry Krauter and of course the M5 is her favorite and she happened to have an M5 she had just gone through so I said ship it. 

All the good things I read about it on the net seemed to be true.  After years of motorized SLR's with long lenses, the size was not a factor and ugliness is in the eye of the beholder (I flew CH46's for eleven years in the Marines and its nickname is "Phrog" but I thought it was kind of beautiful).  Now, depending on the day of the week or odd/even on the calendar, the M5 is my favorite film M.  But on other days, it is the M2.  I guess you will just have to call me fickle.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this over on rangefinder forum but seeing how this photographer is using the M5 says a lot about the camera.  Anyway, this gentleman out of Australia is using the M5 and Velvia in a custom waterproof housing shooting in the ocean and in the surf producing great imagines.  His comment about the meter says a lot about the M5.

This is on the Leica blog and I hope I have copied the address correctly.  http://blog.leica-camera.com/2017/10 . . . logue-aquatic/  Or just go to the Leica blog and search aquatic camera.

He fell in love with the M5 the first time he picked one up, loves the meter and his imagines say a lot.  Enjoy!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

ugly duckling ;)

• Like 4

I've been happy shooting on the 2-lug M5 that I bought in 2015. From the get-go, I've used 1.5v batteries, so i assume the camera had been modified or else the 1.5v's wouldn't work. The meter is spot-on, so I haven't felt the need to have a CLA done. Other than a tiny bit of Vulcanite wear beneath the ASA dial on the back, and the missing white rectangle on the self-timer dial, the camera is perfect. 

I've been happy shooting on the 2-lug M5 that I bought in 2015. From the get-go, it's taken 1.5v batteries, so I assume the camera had been modified or else the 1.5v's wouldn't work. The meter is spot-on, so I haven't felt the need to have a CLA done. Other than a tiny bit of Vulcanite wear beneath the ASA dial on the back, and the missing white rectangle on the self-timer dial, the camera is perfect. (Sorry about the duplicate entry.)

Edited by nickditoro
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Reading these posts about the M5 set me thinking about the only time I did use an M5, several of them in fact.

In May 1973 I had a weeks holiday and went to the Leica School in Wetzlar. At that time the M5 was the camera of the moment, along with the current Leicaflex model, not sure which.

The group I joined for the week were a mixture of young and older from across the world. We were taught to use the cameras and sent out around Wetzlar in groups to photograph what we liked, with whichever lens we liked. One day with the M5 and another with the 'Flex. The films were developed overnight and prints discussed the next day. I still have the negatives.

We saw the museum and were taken round the factory. I still have some reject lens elements given as freebees. 

In one picture you can see the display cabinet in the workroom with bodies and lenses to use and a selection of cut-away bodies to demonstrate how they worked. The other pictures show the group relaxing between sessions with M5 cameras and lenses in use.

At one point the group suggested that a third strap-lug would be useful so that the M5 could be hung in the normal manner rather than by one end. Did we set in motion the introduction of the 3 lug model? 

• Like 15

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I have not used my M5 in awhile as I got a MP240 in February and needed to get familiar with it.  My daughter is getting married in two weeks and even though she has hired a professional photographer, I figure the Leica's will make great accessories to my wedding outfit.

The M5 will be going with a 50f1.1 along with the MP240 with 35/50/90.  I cannot not take a film camera loaded with TriX or HP5.  Unfortunately, I dropped my 35f1.2 and had to ship it today for repair as the diaphragm is all messed up.  I think this is one of the few times I am glad I have a couple duplicate focal length lenses.  

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed.  I prefer the M5 to the more modern M7.  It is intuitive and more ergonomic.  Too far ahead of its time when the SLR ruled supreme.

Edited by hektor
  • Like 3

This is mine with Tele-Elmarit 90...

I think it fits perfectly!

Cheers

Michael

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

To all the M5 enthousiasts here. Owing a Q for a year I want to go back to my first love being film photography. I have the opportunity to buy a chrome M5 with a 35mm 2.8 Summaron (the lens in its original box). What are your toughts and what are the critical points I should check when picking up the camera. Thanks for all your advises.

Make sure the serial number is above 1 300 000.

Check with one of the reliable repairers.

Great camera.  I have reverted to my M5 in preference to the M7.

The Summaron is also a superb lens.  I "upgraded" mine to a Summicron 1:2/35 many years ago and have always suspected the Summaron was sharper.

Here is an example, not very well scanned from a slide:

Edited by hektor
  • Like 2

• jaapv pinned and unpinned this topic