The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

I love my M5

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#181 adelie

adelie

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 04 January 2017 - 21:13

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Here is a photo of my recently CLA'd M5 from Sherry Krauter at Golden Touch. I have the Zeiss Biogon 25 mm lens on the M5 with a MetraStar light meter which goes with me everywhere.

Best Leica M ever made!!! - no question.

Attached Files

• colint544 and 105012 said thank you to this

-- People are drawn to warmth, enthusiasm, and confidence more than anger, arrogance, and impatience --

#182 coelacanth

coelacanth

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA, USA

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:59

31836949593_8838e39213_b.jpg

Love this beast.

• wattsy, wpo, colint544 and 5 others said thank you

- Sug

#183 ktmrider2

ktmrider2

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:17

I think the M5 has replaced the M2 as my favorite film Leica.  Mine came from Sherry in October with a third lug installed and a fresh cover.

• colint544 said thank you to this

#184 GaryChowHM

GaryChowHM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:55

399f8f89c70eece63395c5e0de15b89b.jpg

This is my 3 lugs version with serial number starting 136****..... Love the speed dial of all things and the film rewind crank at the bottom is cool!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
  • colint544 and 105012 said thank you to this

#185 Macdonald

Macdonald

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • City / Ort:in der Nähe von Kaputtgart

Posted 18 February 2017 - 22:27

Something to pass on ...  (who will find the fault? No- it's not the Planar and no- not the used filter  :) )

Attached Files

• wattsy, wpo, colint544 and 2 others said thank you
All those pictures will be lost in time- like tears in the rain.

#186 Landberg

Landberg

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 17:03

Attached File  GR000190-1-2.jpg   90.81KB   31 downloads

Leica M5 with an upgraded M6 viewfinder.

Elmarit 28 v3.

• thomas_schertel, colint544, Jamison and 1 other said thank you

#187 a.noctilux

a.noctilux

Just amateur

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationMontpellier, Occitanie

Posted 24 June 2017 - 15:44

Today, I remember that my M5 has not been used for a while.

Just take it out and today I changed my mind :P the best M IS my M5, for today.

The viewfinder is what is made for photographer, just enough informations to build a GOOD picture: no flare, shutter speed show, meter needle to know under/over exposure, spot for "metering area", no secondary framelines, ISO/ASA/DIN seen on top (like M10 -_- ), and more.

This M5 is confortable in my hand, plenty room to handle with assurance and pleasure, everything is smooth.

Forgot that this has an adjustable self-timer too, in case of no cable release for low shutter speed.

:) I'am happy to have choice of fine Ms.

Taken from my reply to best film M thread.

Just to remind me that best film M (or other bests) does't exist ;).

It depend on so many parameters and situations.

#188 plaidshirts

plaidshirts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationEverett, Washington

Posted 04 July 2017 - 00:25

Got this for a song. Very cool.

Attached File  DSCF0002 (Medium).JPG   230.92KB   25 downloads

• colint544, Jamison, TheGodParticle and 2 others said thank you

#189 colint544

colint544

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 738 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, UK
  • City / Ort:Glasgow

Posted 08 July 2017 - 13:10

With black chrome 50mm Summilux ASPH. My favourite analogue combination.

Attached Files

• Jamison, MarkP, TheGodParticle and 2 others said thank you

#190 OR120

OR120

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:51

I used many different M's for work through the years. I ended with two black, three lug M5's. A friend at another paper had three M5's. For sports and other long throw events I had Canon's.

Nothing could touch my M5's mated with my Summilux lenses. Just the best M film cameras ever made (for me!!!!!)

• adelie and colint544 said thank you to this

#191 TheBestSLIsALeicaflex

TheBestSLIsALeicaflex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 13:36

They are surprisingly ergonomic in my big hands.  I had a pair of these M5s in the last decade, at a time when I was cycling out of rangefinders.  Great meters, and I've always loved the match/needle display.  I believe both the Leicaflex SL and the M5 (and later the R8/9) were developed with the idea of function over looks (form following function).  Truly an under appreciated shooter.  Now that I'm getting back to rangefinders, I'm favoring the higher magnified M3, but the M5 remains my favorite 0.72 Leica M.  

• 105012 said thank you to this

#192 ktmrider2

ktmrider2

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:53

Funny, everyone has a favorite and reasons why they favor a specific film model.  I have bought and sold Leica's since 1975 but there was always one in my collection along with Nikon, Canon, Contax and perhaps a 'Blad.  I keep coming back to the M2 as it combines the classic shape with the best viewfinder of the lot which happens to frame my favorite focal lengths.

I had never owned an M5 until a year and a half ago.  I had wanted to try one for years but just never got around to picking up a body I knew would work etc.  Well, one day I was talking to Sherry Krauter and of course the M5 is her favorite and she happened to have an M5 she had just gone through so I said ship it. 

All the good things I read about it on the net seemed to be true.  After years of motorized SLR's with long lenses, the size was not a factor and ugliness is in the eye of the beholder (I flew CH46's for eleven years in the Marines and its nickname is "Phrog" but I thought it was kind of beautiful).  Now, depending on the day of the week or odd/even on the calendar, the M5 is my favorite film M.  But on other days, it is the M2.  I guess you will just have to call me fickle.

#193 ktmrider2

ktmrider2

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 22:55

I posted this over on rangefinder forum but seeing how this photographer is using the M5 says a lot about the camera.  Anyway, this gentleman out of Australia is using the M5 and Velvia in a custom waterproof housing shooting in the ocean and in the surf producing great imagines.  His comment about the meter says a lot about the M5.

This is on the Leica blog and I hope I have copied the address correctly.  http://blog.leica-camera.com/2017/10 . . . logue-aquatic/  Or just go to the Leica blog and search aquatic camera.

He fell in love with the M5 the first time he picked one up, loves the meter and his imagines say a lot.  Enjoy!

• colint544, TheGodParticle, M9reno and 3 others said thank you

#194 Macdonald

Macdonald

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • City / Ort:in der Nähe von Kaputtgart

Posted 18 February 2018 - 17:52

ugly duckling ;)

Attached Files

• adelie and eddds said thank you to this
All those pictures will be lost in time- like tears in the rain.

#195 nickditoro

nickditoro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 14:48

I've been happy shooting on the 2-lug M5 that I bought in 2015. From the get-go, I've used 1.5v batteries, so i assume the camera had been modified or else the 1.5v's wouldn't work. The meter is spot-on, so I haven't felt the need to have a CLA done. Other than a tiny bit of Vulcanite wear beneath the ASA dial on the back, and the missing white rectangle on the self-timer dial, the camera is perfect. 

#196 nickditoro

nickditoro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 14:48

I've been happy shooting on the 2-lug M5 that I bought in 2015. From the get-go, it's taken 1.5v batteries, so I assume the camera had been modified or else the 1.5v's wouldn't work. The meter is spot-on, so I haven't felt the need to have a CLA done. Other than a tiny bit of Vulcanite wear beneath the ASA dial on the back, and the missing white rectangle on the self-timer dial, the camera is perfect. (Sorry about the duplicate entry.)

Attached Files

Edited by nickditoro, 22 February 2018 - 14:50.

• 105012 said thank you to this

#197 Pyrogallol

Pyrogallol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 18:24

Reading these posts about the M5 set me thinking about the only time I did use an M5, several of them in fact.

In May 1973 I had a weeks holiday and went to the Leica School in Wetzlar. At that time the M5 was the camera of the moment, along with the current Leicaflex model, not sure which.

The group I joined for the week were a mixture of young and older from across the world. We were taught to use the cameras and sent out around Wetzlar in groups to photograph what we liked, with whichever lens we liked. One day with the M5 and another with the 'Flex. The films were developed overnight and prints discussed the next day. I still have the negatives.

We saw the museum and were taken round the factory. I still have some reject lens elements given as freebees. 

In one picture you can see the display cabinet in the workroom with bodies and lenses to use and a selection of cut-away bodies to demonstrate how they worked. The other pictures show the group relaxing between sessions with M5 cameras and lenses in use.

At one point the group suggested that a third strap-lug would be useful so that the M5 could be hung in the normal manner rather than by one end. Did we set in motion the introduction of the 3 lug model? 

Attached File  Leica School May 1973 - 001sml.jpg   127.41KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Leica School May 1973 - 004.jpg   125.24KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Leica School May 1973 - 003.jpg   106.11KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Leica School May 1973 - 002.jpg   92.04KB   1 downloads

• colint544, Graham (G4FUJ), rob139 and 4 others said thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic