28mm lens - which to buy

Jimothy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Jimothy,

I bought a 2e hand Elmarit 28 vs IV almost 2 years ago and I'm always impressed with this lens.

It seems to have a really special quality. Even better than my 35 Summilux asph and the summicron 50. On the M8 and on film. I think it is nicer than the 28 elmarit asph and a lot cheaper if you can find one.(I paid 350 euro) It is only bigger, about the same as the 35 Lux-asph. I use it without the lenshood most of the time because it is hudge and it obscure's the finder. The lens stands flare quite well.

Dont know about the 28 summicron or the other brands, exept the price of the first and doubt's about mechanical quality of the latter.

But I do know it is better than the earlier versions.

One more remark about the 28 elmarit asph, I feel it dus not have the mechanical qualty as the other (older) lenses, it feels more like the cheaper summarits. I tried 2 different copy's and came to the same conclusion.

regards Tjeerd Fonk.

I can only speak for myself, more specifically, the results using chromes, B&W, or color negatives. I have included my Leica M 28 f 2 asph on every trip to Europe. I can't comment on the other lenses as I have never tried them. As for size, I think someone mentioned that. I have found no difficulty. I'll explain, that going to Europe with all the regulations of carry on, I plan for the minimum, to achieve the best possible results. So I team my 28 f 2 asph with my Leica M 75 f 1.4. The vistas of Venice to the narrow passage ways, it produces and is hand holdable or find a friendly wall to lean against. But the decision is your's and how deep your pockets go.

Having used and tried a lot of 28mm lenses, my choice stopped on the 28mm hexanon for its outstanding built (Rivals Leica for sure!) and for its renowned optical qualities and contrast and for its low price compared to Leica, altough it has the same optical forumla as the elmarit. This says it all, IMO!

I also like my Hexanon.

You won't regret your decision. Lenses get better all the time, which doesn't mean the older ones aren't great lenses anymore. For ten years I now I use the fourth version and I am very happy with it. Recently I was lucky to receive the one you just bought and the first results are really good. Have fun with it!

Guest JoanMarianne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just bought a fourth version, ca 1992 and it is extremely good: compact, with a hood that has has a cut-out for unobstructed viewing; and with a very seductive field of view. An ideal complement to my 50mm Summicron from 1956.

I finally made a decision and found a lens at a pice that was acceptable to me.

I bought the Elmarit. It's a 1983 vintage. Yes, it's not the most compact lens ever made but, as they say, size is not important. So i'm looking forward to getting out and about and seeing what I can do with it. Pictures in due course.

Thanks again for all of your advice here.

Nice choice, for it's like mine... :)... beware, the front lens is very easy to be dismounted... ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If price is a consideration I second the CV 28/3.5. A highly capable and very lovely little lens. At f8 I doubt you would discern any difference to much more expensive lenses.

If you can afford slightly more then the Leica 28/2.8-asph is probably the best value Leica lens currently available. Build is fantastic, performance is fantastic and it is plenty fast enough.

LouisB

If price is a consideration I second the CV 28/3.5. A highly capable and very lovely little lens. At f8 I doubt you would discern any difference to much more expensive lenses.

If you can afford slightly more then the Leica 28/2.8-asph is probably the best value Leica lens currently available. Build is fantastic, performance is fantastic and it is plenty fast enough.

LouisB

The CV is smaller and lighter, and available in LTM.

If I need f/4 I'll be also using 1/60 and getting subject and camera movement so the Leica 28./2.asph lens wont do much better, or I've not noticed it better yet,

The Leica has a much better hood as standard, but if you lose the Leica hood it is nearly as expensive as the CV lens to replace...

The type IV pre asph was the best performer in its day, but it is big.

Noel

i'm in the market for a 28 as well. i love the elmarit for its size, performance and price. i have 35 and 50 summicrons and they're right on the edge of being fast enough. the elmarit would be 1 stop too slow and that is probably the only thing making me look at the summicron 28. is 1 stop worth $2000 though?? i'm still deciding.

Leicas are best. Zeiss are nice with a little different signature and less mechanical quality.

CV products are nice and are good value, very good value. Don`t compare them to a 28 Summicron or version 3 or 4 Elmarit or you will be disappointed.

The 28 .3.5 CV is a gem if you need only 3.5

Leicas are best. Zeiss are nice with a little different signature and less mechanical quality.

CV products are nice and are good value, very good value. Don`t compare them to a 28 Summicron or version 3 or 4 Elmarit or you will be disappointed.

The 28 .3.5 CV is a gem if you need only 3.5

I concur whole heartedly. I have both the Leica 28mm Cron and the CV 28/3.5 skopar. The Cron is just magic and is the absolute BEST I have used in 28mm.

The CV 28/3.5 skopar is no slouch - to the point that I have decided to sell the Cron as the CV skopar is about 1/7th the price and less than half the size.

Here's one taken on a CLE with the CV 28/3.5 - wide open on a gloomy day at the beach.

img264.jpg