28mm lens - which to buy

Jimothy

I 'strayed" to the new CV ULTRON 28 2.0 and find a a terrific lens. Its is my only non leica glass ( all older ) and am hard pressed to see the difference in my prints ( 17 x22 ). search the forum for some of my pics with this lens. good luck. CH

I am considering the purchase of a 28mm lens for my M6.

What different lens variations are out there (on the used market), and what are the preferences of members here?

Ta. :)

Having used and tried a lot of 28mm lenses, my choice stopped on the 28mm hexanon for its outstanding built (Rivals Leica for sure!) and for its renowned optical qualities and contrast and for its low price compared to Leica, altough it has the same optical forumla as the elmarit. This says it all, IMO!

Guest kirkmingle

Leica Summicron-M 28 f/2.0 Asph is the winner. You will not regret if you get that lens. I have it on my M6 everyday and it's absolutely amazing. You can't get a better 28mm.

... until Leica create a Summilux-M 28 f/1.4 Asph :D But that is wishful thinking and it would costs a ton of money if they ever created a lens like this.

I now use the 2.8/24 ASPH which is a terrific lens and heartily recommended, but I have also used the 2.8/28 pre-ASPH, which is certainly no slouch, and good value. Example of a pic with that lens below.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having used and tried a lot of 28mm lenses, my choice stopped on the 28mm hexanon for its outstanding built (Rivals Leica for sure!) and for its renowned optical qualities and contrast and for its low price compared to Leica, altough it has the same optical forumla as the elmarit. This says it all, IMO!
Have to agree with NB23 here. I was also trying Leica 28s but after I got the Konica 28/2.8 Hexanon I sold the two Leicas I was using. The Hexanon draws beautifully and is incredibly well-built. The pic below was shot either at or very close to wide-open and it shows how the lens renders an image especially the OOF areas both in front of and behind the point of focus. Sorry about the blown highlight, that's my lousy scanning technique... :o

All the above options are exceptional, and would produce magnificant results.

But I tend to prefer a physically smaller lens, and use the VC 28/3.5, it has exceptional optical performance, is distortion free, and makes for a real svelte package.

I normally use LTM bodies, hear it is an my Standard (E):

I had the Zeiss 28/2.8, and it was razor-sharp, but maybe already too sharp, at least too contrasty and a too slow for me... I have also heard about some focus issues or something according the Zeiss ZMs, but I didn't have any problems as long as I had it. As far as I'm concerned, the lens was very well built and also thought about. With the hood bayonet also. Although it would have made possible also rectangular hoods, but it seems they ran out of ambition...

Thanks for all your replies, guys.

So many recommendations that I don't know if this thread has been a help to me or not:)

I still have a little more saving up to do, so I have time to ponder a little longer.

Thanks again.

Hi Jimothy. I wish I'd thought of that name when creating myself.

I went through something a bit like this (though with almost no money) and slowly came to the rather obvious conclusion that whilst one clearly wants to get the "best" one can, the lens itself is always secondary to the decision-making that has to occur in order to take a photo of a subject - whatever lens is on the camera.

There are almost too many choices for the Leicas as all one really needs is for a lens to put onto film the image that one sees and it seems clear to me that any of these lenses is fine and will do the job. The only possible caveat to this is that one might want a particularly wide f-stop, but I would think all these are wide enough for general use.

Which is great as with this philosophy one can relax about the gear; just buy something and use it! In the non-pixel-peeping real world this works for me.

Am I being too simplistic?

Jim.

Be careful with the Leica 28mm Elmarits - I didn't do my research properly before buying my first one (secondhand) and I expected it to be similar sized to all other 28mm lenses I'd seen. However, it turned out to be substantially larger and longer than expected and I never really took to it. The quality of the lens was beyond reproach but the dimensions were off putting. I now have the 28/2.8 asph Leica lens which meets all my expectations for being both diminuative and a gorgeous lens.

In my mind, there are 4 options. The 28 Summicron is awesome and relatively compact for what it is. It's expensive though. It's my favorite lens. If a bit slower, smaller, and cheaper appeals to you, go for the 28/2.8 ASPH. Looks like a good lens that people really seem to love, though I've not used it. The Zeiss 28/2.8 also seems like a nice lens, bigger than the Elmarit ASPH but cheaper. Lastly, the CV 28/3.5 is a great lens. I recently got one as a small lens to go with my Summicron. It's incredibly small, cheap, and pretty damn sharp. A great daylight lens and really makes the camera pocketable.

While there are other 28 options, and I'm sure they are nice lenses, the 4 I listed seem to be the obvious choices to me.

Guest darkstar2004
Leica Summicron-M 28 f/2.0 Asph is the winner. You will not regret if you get that lens. I have it on my M6 everyday and it's absolutely amazing. You can't get a better 28mm.

... until Leica create a Summilux-M 28 f/1.4 Asph :D But that is wishful thinking and it would costs a ton of money if they ever created a lens like this.

Agreed.

Another reason that I like the 28/2 is because on my 0.72 MP' date=' it is the widest lens you can get that does not require a shoe mounted viewfinder. It uses 98-99% of the viewfinder, which is a feature that I like.

The only regret you will have is when you have to fork over[b'] four thousand smackers U.S. [/b]to pay for it. :D

Edited by darkstar2004

if you don't need the extra stop the Elmarit-M 2.8/28 ASPH is a great lens too !

regards

Ruben

Agree with that. I just bought a new elmarit 28 ASPH for my M6 a week ago, the reason I went with it is because (here in Jakarta) it's about $2000 cheaper than a 28 summicron and I don't really need the extra stop, cause I usually use flash in low light.

Bob

• 7 months later...

I finally made a decision and found a lens at a pice that was acceptable to me.

I bought the Elmarit. It's a 1983 vintage. Yes, it's not the most compact lens ever made but, as they say, size is not important. So i'm looking forward to getting out and about and seeing what I can do with it. Pictures in due course.

Thanks again for all of your advice here.

Edited by Jimothy