V LUX 1 has spots when stopped down past f8

stefmaster

Hi Pete,

Yeah, that was my first move. The shots are with the clear filter removed and the lens is spotless. I thought that about a clean room, too. Also, maybe condensation deposits on the lens, however I live in LA and we really don't have a humidity problem. I sent images to NJ, we will see what they think.

Thanks. More to follow

Most likely its dust on the sensor that becomes more visible with smaller apertures (and shorter focal lengths). Since stopping down to f8 or even beyond probably should be avoided due to diffraction issues anyway, I wouldn’t worry.

Agree, its definately dust on the sensor. You just wouldn't see dust spots in that way if they were on the lens surfaces, unless it was a huge spot of muck or something! The dust will most likely have worked its way in through the zoom lens.

Thank you Michael and James. Still awaiting a response from Leica in NJ. Just to add more information to the puzzle, the spots only show up on longer focal lengths so the size of the particulate must me very small. Also, I'm thinking that it's definitely on the lens. Dust on the sensor would probably appear as black specks or hairs. This is something that feels projected. I will pass on the response to you all when Leica contacts me. Thank you so much for your input. It is good to hear from experienced photographic minds.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Michael and James. Still awaiting a response from Leica in NJ. Just to add more information to the puzzle, the spots only show up on longer focal lengths so the size of the particulate must me very small. Also, I'm thinking that it's definitely on the lens. Dust on the sensor would probably appear as black specks or hairs. This is something that feels projected. I will pass on the response to you all when Leica contacts me. Thank you so much for your input. It is good to hear from experienced photographic minds.

Welcome to my world. :( I get these on my Canon's ALL the time. I'm often panning in broad daylight dragging the shutter at 1/30 and even 1/15. Of course this tosses the aperture into f/22 and beyond.

It is, in fact, fine micro dust. For sports and outdoor shooters it is probably the biggest issue shooting digital.

JT

The only way you can clean the sensor or the rear element is to have it done by Leica. If you notice, the lenser is PERMANENTLY attached to the camera. Leica would be the people to work on the camera. Is it still under warranty? I'd let Leica USA handle the problem. Did these spots just appear or have they been there for some time?

Hi John and USA roadracer. Bought the camera 12/07 and haven't checked to see what the warranty is. I only noticed the spots when shooting fighter jets against an open sky out in Death Valley last week, similar to what you do with your race car photography, John. I don't know how dust would have collected on the back of the lens. It is very sealed up and fixed, however there is a screw plate to access the underside of the lens. I will send it to leica if need be.

Best,

Stef

Hi John and USA roadracer. Bought the camera 12/07 and haven't checked to see what the warranty is. I only noticed the spots when shooting fighter jets against an open sky out in Death Valley last week, similar to what you do with your race car photography, John. I don't know how dust would have collected on the back of the lens. It is very sealed up and fixed, however there is a screw plate to access the underside of the lens. I will send it to leica if need be.

Best,

Stef

Could actually be dust generated by the mirror flip or a number of internal sources. When I clean my sensors on the Canon(s) ... almost a weekly ritual... I also clean the lens mounts and any surround surface FIRST. I also tip my camera face down when I change lenses to get gravity to do some of the work. I rarely, if ever, change lenses outdoors... I carry three bodies with lenses mounted.

That said, I have a sneaky hunch your spots might be from condensation... and the culprit can be air conditioning. I've had lenses fog over from being indoors with A/C to going outdoors in heat and humidity. If the lens face and rear can fog up, I'm assuming the glass over the sensor could too. Once it dries, you're going to have a "watermark" ...

JT

The VLUX is a fixed lens and isn't an slr, but I know exactly what you go through. The condensation theory makes sense in that this camera was assembled in clean room, however water molecules may able to breach the seals. Thanks for your thoughts.

SB

The VLUX is a fixed lens and isn't an slr, but I know exactly what you go through. The condensation theory makes sense in that this camera was assembled in clean room, however water molecules may able to breach the seals. Thanks for your thoughts.

SB

No, no... I understand it's a fixed lens. But it takes nothing for "atmosphere" to breach the seals.

Good luck.

JT

Leica finally replied. They want me to send it in, and I found out that it is no longer under warranty. I'm going to take it to a local guy here in LA, have it cleaned for $95, and then bake the moisture, if any, out of the silica gel I keep in my camera safe. It will cost $40 to ship it to and back to NJ, this feels like a better deal.

Thank you gentlemen for your educated opinions. It is greatly appreciated.

SB