Happy Happy

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica seems to have a problem with the supply of filters, so I called Michael Huppert of Fotohuppert just now and he will have a 486 series VII filter with me tomorrow :)

Congratulations on the lens, enjoy it. Yes, Leica do seem to be having problems delivering filters; I've had a 46mm UV/IR on order from Robert White, for my 75 Summarit, from early March and they can't even give me an estimated delivery time.

Regards, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes congratulations, Jaap. :) There is no focus tab on this lens? Are you familiar with the f2.8 Elmarit? That lens has a tab and a very short focus throw to 0.7M. If you've used that lens, is the focus throw on the Summilux longer?

Yes- I used to have one. I sold it to my brother. This one has a much longer focussing throw and the focussing is very precise. As you can see on the 100% crop the "real" DOF at pixel level is maybe 15 mm wide open at about two meters. I focussed on the flowerbuds in the centre of the image. It is smack in the middle of the DOF.

Have fun with it Jaap! It seems to be a very fine lens! I tried it on my m8 a couple of weeks ago at Minderman. It is indeed not as bulky as I thought it would be. The 21 mm is somewhat bigger, but more troublesome I found the fact that the 21mm lens obstructs the finder for at least 20%. With the 24mm it is just acceptable. Also tried the noctilux, just for fun. That is one heavy mother, I felt it in my wrist immediately. Could not focus wide open either. Not for me, but I do want that 24mm summilux.

Rob

Yes- I used to have one. I sold it to my brother. This one has a much longer focussing throw and the focussing is very precise. As you can see on the 100% crop the "real" DOF at pixel level is maybe 15 mm wide open at about two meters. I focussed on the flowerbuds in the centre of the image. It is smack in the middle of the DOF.
Thanks very much Jaap. I was hoping for a short focus throw for my use of the lens. I have a 25mm CZJ Flektogon on an Exakta and that lens is a pain in the neck to focus because it has a long throw. Need to do some thinking...

Wait ... let me first wipe all the drool off my keyboard before I type this ...

If given the choice, the 24 Lux would claim my affection over the 21 Lux if only because one would not absolutely need an aux. finder. I do so hate non-essential "stuff" on top of any M when in the heat of battle.

Thanks for posting some terrific photos!

-g

Edited by grober

Sometimes threads need to be sensored - severely.

I've read through this thread and I've gone from being happy and content with my current Leica line up to end up as a blathering drooling GAS afflicted Leica lens crack addicted manic with a severe case of 24/1.4 Summilux lust ....

Those wide open shots & bokeh have raised my 'must find way to buy one' quotient through the roof. Thanks Jaap - job well done. :mad: I'm sure that this is just the beginning of the torture.

:D:D

Jaap, Congratulations.

Compared to the 24/2.8, does the lux obstruct more of the view finder or is this more or less the same?

I would compare the obstruction to the WATE. It is far less than I expected.

Congratulations for that buy !

I have a question though. In terms of DOF, the 24mm Lux at 1.4 basically equates the 28mm at F2 so OOF planes should be similar when subject at same distance. Looking at your great shots, don't you think you could have taken almost the same ones with the 28mm at F2 ?

Minus point of the lens: The lens cap admits a narrow band of light. Just enough to let the camera react normally when one forgets to remove it. I have three well-exposed shots of the inside of the cap already ;) I will put a yellow or red marker on it where I can see it through the viewfinder.

:D:D

Well, let's add: Different look, different bokeh, different character. I have a feeling the character is very close to the Mandler lenses, with modern-day resolution of course.

Stunning the fluitekruid shot Jaap! well done. did you do any postprocessing?

I shot some 800 holiday pics on Lanzarote with my new toy (M8), all in jpg though.

Most striking difference to me - versus M6 on film - is that exposure is a lot more critical; Quite hard to get it right on the black volcanic land.

Best thing is the immediate feedback, and evening review of the days catch.

Enjoy playing, Hein

I would compare the obstruction to the WATE. It is far less than I expected.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have the WATE, so that's no point of comparison for me (I do have the 24/2.8 and the 28/2.0 though).

I've made the comparison and it's this. If you're used to the standard lens hood on the Elmarit, the Summilux is no worse; indeed, the Elmarit lens hood cap is larger than the Summilux lens hood cap. That said, both block out the majority (say, 75%) of the lower right hand corner of the viewfinder.

For the Elmarit, I dispense with the huge standard hood and replace it with a Heavystar 46mm wide screw in hood with clip in lens cap which costs less than $10 and provides about the same depth of shading by the time you install a UV/IR filter in both. The image in the viewfinder is much less obscured. The option to use an alternative hood on the Summilux is not there of course.

I have a feeling the character is very close to the Mandler lenses, with modern-day resolution of course.

ah, Jaap! did you really have to say that?

grumble, grumble. i will just have to pretend i didn't read that. you are a truly evil man, Mr Jaap, and know how to push my buttons....

-- cam

I will even make it worse -:D After a few shots I decided that my bag should contain either the 35 and 90 Summicrons asph, or, and that is what I'm carrying now - the Summiluxes 24 and 75. I'm sure Maison du Leica will be able to help you in your plight..:P