Happy Happy

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great service by Steven from ffordes:) He sent me a mail as soon as he got a Summilux 24 in, and prompty posted it to me. The packing of the lens is incredible and way over the top imo: Huge silver box, velvet lined inner box etc. Quite apart from being great optics I'm sure, this lens is the best made Leica lens I've ever seen - and I have seen quite a few. First test shots suggest the focus is spot-on, and focussing is easy.The size is a lot smaller than I was led to expect. It is certainly less lumpy than my Nokton 35/1.2, even if the physical size does not differ that much. Be prepared to be bored by 24 mm shots in the fotoforum the coming weeks;)

Btw, I think, by careful reading, that the Passport Warrantee is for goods bought in the UK, not just UK residents. If that is true it is an added incentive to cross the pond to buy.

Edited by jaapv

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Certainly afree with Jaap about build quality - the back of the lens inside the bayonet mount is completely black, no exposed shiny brass parts to create unwanted reflections. Leica are on a roll with their new lenses at the moment - 24/1.4, 24/3.8, 18/3.8 and (presumably, 21/1.4 and 50/0.95); whatever pain they have with electronics and software, they are masters of lens production.

Every announcement of a new Lux 24 owner is a great relief to me meaning I move up one place on the waiting list :) Looking forward to a picture.

Did you intend to replace another lens with this one or is it just an addition?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Every announcement of a new Lux 24 owner is a great relief to me meaning I move up one place on the waiting list :) Looking forward to a picture.

Did you intend to replace another lens with this one or is it just an addition?

No-it is an addition :) I'm surprised you have to wait. I mailed ffordes on the 9th of April and the lens was in last week

Leica seems to have a problem with the supply of filters, so I called Michael Huppert of Fotohuppert just now and he will have a 486 series VII filter with me tomorrow :)

I the few test shots I did I have already spotted one definite issue :D with this lens.

It has such a high resolution and microcontrast that the LCD of the camera is unable to cope and frequently reacts with moiré. It is the LCD and *not* the sensor because the moiré gets replaced by detail as one zooms in....

Btw, I think, by careful reading, that the Passport Warrantee is for goods bought in the UK, not just UK residents. If that is true it is an added incentive to cross the pond to buy.

Congrats on your new toy Jaap!

Before I bought my 24/2.8 from ffordes last year I checked the pasport rules with Leica UK. It is indeed valid for non-UK (and like me; non-EU) residents. If something happens we have to ship the bits to Milton Keynes, but that is the only drawback. Just send the filled in form and a copy of your sales slip and you'll get the passport back in a couple of weeks from Leica UK.

Cheers,

- Carl

Well, here it is on the M8. I think it is quite a nice sleek lens for the specs.:)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Unfortunately the light was failing as I drove home and finally found some time to try a few quick shots. Evebn then I found the results quite convincing: a razor-sharp plane of focus and a creamy out of focus rendering wide open Just look at that 100% crop...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaapv

Well, Luigi, it was a soul-searching decision. One one hand the character of the 21 lux would have been more pronounced, but on the other hand it is more bulky, and the angle of view more extreme. All in all I think the 24 will see a lot more use than the 21 would, making it the more universal lens. Seeing what this lens does makes me think I made the right decision for my style of shooting. :)

I would like to add that the focussing is accurate to within one millimeter. In the 100% crop above I focussed on the unopened flowers on the stalk.

Edited by jaapv