DMR Camera Back Labels

jwcane.enw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The outer back of the DMR has a number of white labels. On the left are button labels: Play, Delete, Protect, Info.

In about three years of DMR use I managed to obliterate most of these four labels. I suspect it is caused by oils (maybe acids?) or other secretions from the skin of my fingers (mainly, thumb).

Now that the entire back plate has been replaced by a new one, I want to avoid the trouble described above. I propose regular cleanings.

Please advise the acceptable fluid to use in cleaning.

Edited by jwcane.enw

My labels are not that legible now too. I had thought about repainting them, but when I looked closer the engraving is only slight and the paint seemed to be put on pretty thick, almost like it was stenciled on.

In my case, it was sunscreen on my nose that got on the labels and when I wiped it off the most of the white label paint came with it.

Robert

I'm not familiar with DMR backs but have replaced worn paint in engraved lettering with a Sharpie pen ... Staedtler permanent marker pens with fine tips also work ... and any excess can be quickly wiped away using a tissue dampened with iso propyl alcohol . Sharpies and Staedtler pens are available with white ink. Ten years ago I also used a fine black Staedtler pen to fill in the white S/N and shutter speed numerals on my M6 Titanium because I could not see the numbers in strong light. I wiped off the excess with iso propyl alcohol and the numerals now look as if they are original.

Cheers

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

My labels are not that legible now too. I had thought about repainting them, but when I looked closer the engraving is only slight and the paint seemed to be put on pretty thick, almost like it was stenciled on.

In my case, it was sunscreen on my nose that got on the labels and when I wiped it off the most of the white label paint came with it.

Robert

The labels on my DMR back were also nearly gone but mine was due to using 100% Deet insect repellant and some obviously got onto my fingers. Another photographer on the same trip lost virtually all the black paint from his Canon DSLR!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the "labels" were engravings filled with paint and depending on the base material of the camera back you could try using Tippex typewriter correction fluid to flood the engraving. Then before it has completely set use your fingernail to scrape away the surface tippex to leave the engravings filled.

I would usually use a model builders enamel paint for something like this but not knowing what material the DMR is and the possible scraping of the camera back, tippex is soft enough to work with. It may however discolour over time when it may absorb dirt and oils.

I had the same problem. When my camera came into Solms for minor repairs they restored the lettering free of charge. It is the skin oils and sweat that do it. Fairly inevitable.

Maybe the missing paint spoils the look of the camera for some people ... but to others it is good honest WABI indicative of fair wear and tear ... and all the wonderful photos created with it. If this was a camera owned by a famous or well known photographer the missing paint would enhance its provenance and desirability.

Cheers

dunk