My brief encounter with Ceo Rudy Spiller

roguewave

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This morning I summoned all my courage, packed my R8's & DMR for a Safari. I ventured deep into the heart of wild territory, Allendale, NJ, the US home for Leica Camera. I crossed the George Washington Bridge in early morning fog, which amped up the feelings of entering the jungle of suburbia. I arrived at Leica before they opened & had the distinct pleasure & honor of meeting Leica's new CEO Rudy Spiller, first in the parking lot & then inside the offices, where nervous minions buzzed.

We at least have a tall, handsome & well dressed , (fashionably attired in a very well tailored modern black suit with no tie, top 2 buttons opened shirt - very NYC sheek). He cuts a fine swath & has an impressive energy level. His manner was direct & open. I told him of my affection & loyalty to Leica & how I was repaid for such: 1) for the singular beauty of the images from my R8/DMR & 2) by having Leica make the formal announcement of the demise of the production of the R system on the occasion of my 57th birthday. An ignominious end for both parties.

I praised the Lumix/D-Lux 4 camera, which I thought was a game-changer product. It is selling well & on the home front, my wife has finally taken back the one I bought her at Holidays, for her own use. The older C-Lux -Lumix version is now going to my son as a subway camera.

CEO Spiller impressed me with the pertinent questions he asked & his thoughtful replies to my inquiries. I pressed him on the need for compatibility of R lenses in any new SLR system, but he steered clear of any concrete response.

Most important of all for me, I brought my R8/DMR in because although I could take pictures, & what awesome pictures this kit delivers, my shutter was failing to cock automatically. I needed to cock it manually, which I done for some number of months, as the prospect of leaving my island home has neared shutterd me in. Oh heavens, I almost got to enjoy the feeling of having a real film camera in my hands again, but alas, progress calls.

They inspected & replaced a tiny spring that broke. Almost the thickness of a hair. All that I had to do was wait less than 1 hour, read a fine, old edition of LeicaWorld. I had 2 separate employees explain the nature of what went wrong & the repair. It was fixed immediately. All that was left was to thank them profusely & have them be rewarded by listening to my exhortations to PLEASE GIVE US NEW R COMPATIBLE GEAR!.

A fine time was had by this reporter. I got my kit back in tip-top shape & I was reaffirmed in my belief that my love & loyalty was indeed, not misplaced. I love those folks.

Hi Ben,

So you are now a "happy" man with a device which works, :)

your son also with his R4S and your wife with the D Lux : so all the family is in Leica :) !

In France, I send camera or lens to Solms and the service is also impeccable !

The delay is not as in New Jersey, a little longer, average 3 weeks - 1 month and it depends on the breakdown !

Good photos.

Henry

Nice reporting although I think a photo or two may have been well received here :) Did you look to see if he had any unreleased new camera model hanging over his shoulder?

I think it might be reasonable to assume that walking in with the new CEO did not harm your repair turnaround time nor level of customer service!

This morning I summoned all my courage, packed my R8's & DMR for a Safari. I ventured deep into the heart of wild territory, Allendale, NJ, the US home for Leica Camera. I crossed the George Washington Bridge in early morning fog, which amped up the feelings of entering the jungle of suburbia. I arrived at Leica before they opened & had the distinct pleasure & honor of meeting Leica's new CEO Rudy Spiller, first in the parking lot & then inside the offices, where nervous minions buzzed.

We at least have a tall, handsome & well dressed , (fashionably attired in a very well tailored modern black suit with no tie, top 2 buttons opened shirt - very NYC sheek). He cuts a fine swath & has an impressive energy level. His manner was direct & open. I told him of my affection & loyalty to Leica & how I was repaid for such: 1) for the singular beauty of the images from my R8/DMR & 2) by having Leica make the formal announcement of the demise of the production of the R system on the occasion of my 57th birthday. An ignominious end for both parties.

I praised the Lumix/D-Lux 4 camera, which I thought was a game-changer product. It is selling well & on the home front, my wife has finally taken back the one I bought her at Holidays, for her own use. The older C-Lux -Lumix version is now going to my son as a subway camera.

CEO Spiller impressed me with the pertinent questions he asked & his thoughtful replies to my inquiries. I pressed him on the need for compatibility of R lenses in any new SLR system, but he steered clear of any concrete response.

Most important of all for me, I brought my R8/DMR in because although I could take pictures, & what awesome pictures this kit delivers, my shutter was failing to cock automatically. I needed to cock it manually, which I done for some number of months, as the prospect of leaving my island home has neared shutterd me in. Oh heavens, I almost got to enjoy the feeling of having a real film camera in my hands again, but alas, progress calls.

They inspected & replaced a tiny spring that broke. Almost the thickness of a hair. All that I had to do was wait less than 1 hour, read a fine, old edition of LeicaWorld. I had 2 separate employees explain the nature of what went wrong & the repair. It was fixed immediately. All that was left was to thank them profusely & have them be rewarded by listening to my exhortations to PLEASE GIVE US NEW R COMPATIBLE GEAR!.

A fine time was had by this reporter. I got my kit back in tip-top shape & I was reaffirmed in my belief that my love & loyalty was indeed, not misplaced. I love those folks.

Edited by hoppyman
typos

What? No autograph on an R8 DMR brochure? What a waste of time.:D