Super Elmar 18 UV/IR Filter

Seeingeye

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, there are regularly traces of this when shooting at night. It is rarely really bad, but it is a bit unpredictable, which isn't good for confidence. I presume that cutting a black piece of plastic to size would help here too. I should try it.

The size of the 49 mm filter would dictate the outside size and the size of the inner circle of the ring, supplied with the Leica Wate adapter, the inside size?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The size of the 49 mm filter would dictate the outside size and the size of the inner circle of the ring, supplied with the Leica Wate adapter, the inside size?

It's a 49mm filter but that's not the size of the glass which is more like 45mm and the inner diameter would need to be 39mm, so a ring of around 3mm.

Edit: Since Leica now appear to acknowledge that this type of filter adapter is useful when a FF wide-angle lens is used on the M8, I think they should produce a corresponding one for the WATE, especially as there has been comment in the past that the firmware is optimised for the characteristics of the 67mm UV/IR filter, not the 49mm filter which is used in the Milich adapter. How much substance there is to that idea, I do not know - I'm more than pleased with the WATE IQ.

Edited by marknorton

Also just received this filter, and noticed that it doesn't mount as tightly to the lens as the hood itself does. When the filter is completely screwed on, it easily screws back counterclockwise. The hood in contrast does not move once it is completely on. Anyone else observe this?

Not a big deal just surprised that the hood and filter behave so differently.

Well, this unexpected problem with the WATE and the Milich adapter. Which strangely enough only surfaced now.

What would the solution be? Black out the lettering with a Sharpie? Or paste a thing ring of black tape on the lettering - with the risk that it comes loose and sticks on the lens surface.

Mind, I had a good look at many of my WATE pictures, and you really have to shoot into the sun, or a sharp light, and also overexpose, to get these ghosts.

Hi Sander,

I'd have to have a WATE in hand to try it out. Its a phenomenon which I haven't experienced myself yet. I suppose blacking out the lettering might be worth trying for those who don't mind marking up their lenses.

Cheers,

Sean

I received my 13422 filter today. It mounts snugly on the 18mm lens, but when I put the lens hood on it is very loose. I see in the closeup photo that David posted of the filter that it has a black gasket, but mine has none. I called the store where I bought it and they are gong to let me know if I should send it back, or perhaps they can just send me a gasket.

Rocky

Edited by RockyIII

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received my 13422 filter today. It mounts snugly on the 18mm lens, but when I put the lens hood on it is very loose. I called PopFlash.photo and they said to return it so they can check it out.

Is there supposed to be a red gasket on the front of the filter like the one on the front of the lens? On my filter there is no gasket, but there looks like maybe there should be.

Rocky

I just got mine delivered from PopFlash too... I will try it when I get home from the office... I guess a dab of screwlock would solve the problem (I will not need to be removing it or the hood).... But given this is Leica we should not see this kind of fit/quality issues...

I just got mine delivered from PopFlash too... I will try it when I get home from the office... I guess a dab of screwlock would solve the problem (I will not need to be removing it or the hood).... But given this is Leica we should not see this kind of fit/quality issues...

Home now... Tried it on and it fits nice and snug... No looseness whatsoever.

Now this means (correct me if I'm wrong) that whenever we want to use the Super-Elmar with a filter on a FF camera, and I mean one for FILM dammit,--and that could mean a simple UVa for protection--then we have to use a monstrous adapter for a 77mm thread.

This, if true, is grotesque. My ZM Distagon 18mm uses a perfectly normal 58mm screw-in filter, and it does NOT vignette on my M4. Have Leica gone completely bonkers? None of the latest five lenses introduced uses standard E filters. Even the 0.95 Noctilux is said to need a filter adapter--for the same E60 filters that its predecessor uses! Miserere, miserere nobis!

The old man from the Age of E39 Filters

Now this means (correct me if I'm wrong) that whenever we want to use the Super-Elmar with a filter on a FF camera, and I mean one for FILM dammit,--and that could mean a simple UVa for protection--then we have to use a monstrous adapter for a 77mm thread.

This, if true, is grotesque. My ZM Distagon 18mm uses a perfectly normal 58mm screw-in filter, and it does NOT vignette on my M4. Have Leica gone completely bonkers? None of the latest five lenses introduced uses standard E filters. Even the 0.95 Noctilux is said to need a filter adapter--for the same E60 filters that its predecessor uses! Miserere, miserere nobis!

Prior to getting this new stock filter I used Maurizio's work around of getting a 58/55 step down ring a 55mm filter and a 55/58 step up ring... I noticed no vignetting... I would guess this would work for your FF/Film scenario... (I would not recommend that clashy/grotesque silver colored filter)

136397d1239792416-super-elmar-18-uv-ir-filter-l1012894.jpg

Edited by sfokevin

Well, if it is a dealer with a 'Red' and a 'Dot' in the name I do believe there are one or two in stock.

Sounds like the rubber o-ring may be missing from the filter, which is where the grip comes from.

Simon

Prior to getting this new stock filter I used Maurizio's work around of getting a 58/55 step down ring a 55mm filter and a 55/58 step up ring... I noticed no vignetting... I would guess this would work for your FF/Film scenario... (I would not recommend that clashy/grotesque silver colored filter)

136397d1239792416-super-elmar-18-uv-ir-filter-l1012894.jpg

No vignetting on the M8. I did not expect any. The question is, what happens without the M8 cropping to save the day? This is where the oversize filter adapter comes in, as I understand.

Concise answer: No way!

I got the 13422 filter from Popflash today and have a different tightness problem. The hood fits tight on the filter (and on the lens). But the filter is not tight on the lens when it is screwed on to the stop. My lens does have the red o-ring. I sent a message to Popflash to see if they had heard of this happening with any other filters.

If Leica had to use o-rings I suspect a difference too small to see between the treads on my filter and hood may be enough to keep the filter from being tight. One thing I noticed is that the o-ring on my lens seems not to stick up as far as the o-ring on the lens in sfokevin's photo. If I don't hear about a solution I will send a message to Leica to see if they know about the problem or if they made a small change to the o-ring.

I can stick the filter to the lens if I have too, but I thought I should post this in case there is a common problem. I've been using Leicas since the CL but I've never posted before because everything's been all right up to now.

I got the 13422 filter from Popflash today and have a different tightness problem. The hood fits tight on the filter (and on the lens). But the filter is not tight on the lens when it is screwed on to the stop. My lens does have the red o-ring. I sent a message to Popflash to see if they had heard of this happening with any other filters.

If Leica had to use o-rings I suspect a difference too small to see between the treads on my filter and hood may be enough to keep the filter from being tight. One thing I noticed is that the o-ring on my lens seems not to stick up as far as the o-ring on the lens in sfokevin's photo. If I don't hear about a solution I will send a message to Leica to see if they know about the problem or if they made a small change to the o-ring.

I can stick the filter to the lens if I have too, but I thought I should post this in case there is a common problem. I've been using Leicas since the CL but I've never posted before because everything's been all right up to now.

The reason the red o-ring showed in my photo is because the 58-55 step ring does not have the stop notch that is designed into the lens/hood... if you could see the other side of the lens you would see why it can not turn flush on the lens and hide the red completely.

Now that I have the 13422 filter (From Popflash) you can see none of the red o-ring.

Laboone - Did your filter come with the black plastic inner ring?... Mine came with black plastic ring that sits loosely inside the filter on the filter/camera side and when put on the camera hides all the white lettering on the end of the lens.. If you do not have that ring (I believe another member said his was missing from the filter too) the filter may not fit tight to the camera...

You can see the inner insert ring here:

!BR1u7jwBmk~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmbku,BK!HPv2mJg~~_1.JPG

Pic complements of PopFlash

Edited by sfokevin

The reason the red o-ring showed in my photo is because the 58-55 step ring does not have the stop notch that is designed into the lens/hood... if you could see the other side of the lens you would see why it can not turn flush on the lens and hide the red completely.

Now that I have the 13422 filter (From Popflash) you can see none of the red o-ring.

Laboone - Did your filter come with the black plastic inner ring?... Mine came with black plastic ring that sits loosely inside the filter on the filter/camera side and when put on the camera hides all the white lettering on the end of the lens.. If you do not have that ring (I believe another member said his was missing from the filter too) the filter may not fit tight to the camera...

Thank you for the reply. I should have mentioned that I have the plastic baffle.

When it looked like the o-ring didn't appear to be sticking up as high as yours I was looking at it without the filter or hood on. In part of the circumference it’s barely visible when looking at the lens straight on. I still haven't figured out the difference in the threads on the hood that fits tight and the filter that doesn't.