summilux 21/1.4 DOF

alexc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know it was covered before. Just wanted to clarify.

When I use aperture stop 5.6 from distance 3m according to DOF chart DOF is: 1,424 to ∞

However due to the crop factor of M8 the correct DOF is under aperture stop of 4 which is: 1,670 to 17,48.

Am I correct?

I know it was covered before. Just wanted to clarify.

When I use aperture stop 5.6 from distance 3m according to DOF chart DOF is: 1,424 to ∞

However due to the crop factor of M8 the correct DOF is under aperture stop of 4 which is: 1,670 to 17,48.

Am I correct?

I'll trust that you're reading off the lens correctly and not check that. But yes, you are correct that a good rule of thumb given the M8 crop factor is to read the depth of field as if your lens were one stop more open than it is.

David

Mmmmm. I don't get it. According to summaron 35 lens markings at f/5.6 it is 2.1 - 5.2 (not 1.46 - ∞). This is the same for all 35 mm lenses.

Using my spreadsheet I get for CoC = 31 micron 2.22 - 5.23 metres which coincides with the lens barrel. For the M8 it would then be CoC = 23.3 micron and 2.27 - 4.44.

The f/4 lens markings on the barrel indicate 2.3 - 4.5 which is close enough. So the rule of thumb to use 1 stop correction with the M8 is pretty much OK.

However the numbers listed by Alex© are completely different to my lens markings (& the calcuation). Weird.

Mmmmm. I don't get it. According to summaron 35 lens markings - snip -

Weird.

Blind as a bat it should have been 21 mm.

For 21 mm, f/5.6 @ 3m using my spreadsheet I get for CoC = 31 micron 1.38 - ∞ metres meaning the DOF chart (1.46 - ∞) is roughly OK. For the M8 CoC = 23.3 micron and the spreadsheet gives 1.58 - 33.35 metres.

This calculation includes diffraction, unlike the DOF calculator, explaining the slightly different numbers.

All is well after all.

Edited by SJP