R 35-70mm F4 macro ROM

bono0272

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The place of production is not very relevant for this lens. Are you not confusing it with the 28-70 which was a Sigma design ?

Someone told me there is another Germany made version which is exactly the same configurations, however I cannot find any information about the Germany model.

As far as I know this lens is a Leica design, just manufactured in Japan. But which factory fabricates this lens indeed?

Someone told me there is another Germany made version which is exactly the same configurations, however I cannot find any information about the Germany model.

As far as I know this lens is a Leica design, just manufactured in Japan. But which factory fabricates this lens indeed?

I'll look into Erwin Puts' book tonight.

Someone told me there is another Germany made version which is exactly the same configurations, however I cannot find any information about the Germany model...

The only made in Germany 35-70s i know of are the Vario-Elmarit-R 35-70/2.8 (code # 11275) and the Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/3.5 (code # 11248).

None are the same lens as the latest Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4 (code # 11277).

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

• 9 years later...
  • jaapv changed the title to R 35-70mm F4 macro ROM
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 12:30 PM, Metin Colak said:

Dear friends,

Does anyone use Vario-Elmar-R 35-70 f4 (11277) lens on Leica M240? What is your view on using this lens on the  M?

Agree it’s a good lens and, while it might be (reasonably) small compared to modern zooms, it’s big enough and awkward enough that I would sooner just pack a Zeiss C-Biogon 35mm F2.8 and a Voigtlander 75mm Color Heliar F2.5 to cover that range adequately.  You can buy both of those used for about the same price as the 35-70 F4.

In addition to the size, critical focusing of an F4.0 lens in this focal length range with an EVF or LCD screen is not pleasant.  It just doesn’t snap.  (You might argue critical focus is not critical at F4, but it matters to me in many shots.)

I still use mine on a Sony A7 at times, but mostly stays home.  Usually bring it when I need some close focus capabilities.  I don’t know if I’d quite call it “macro” but it’s reasonably good in that regard. 

Edited by mdemeyer

On 12/16/2018 at 6:35 PM, mdemeyer said:

Agree it’s a good lens and, while it might be (reasonably) small compared to modern zooms, it’s big enough and awkward enough that I would sooner just pack a Zeiss C-Biogon 35mm F2.8 and a Voigtlander 75mm Color Heliar F2.5 to cover that range adequately.  You can buy both of those used for about the same price as the 35-70 F4.

In addition to the size, critical focusing of an F4.0 lens in this focal length range with an EVF or LCD screen is not pleasant.  It just doesn’t snap.  (You might argue critical focus is not critical at F4, but it matters to me in many shots.)

I still use mine on a Sony A7 at times, but mostly stays home.  Usually bring it when I need some close focus capabilities.  I don’t know if I’d quite call it “macro” but it’s reasonably good in that regard. 

Thanks a lot for your helpful comment Mdemeyer. Appreciated!

One of my favourites.
No holiday trip without; the travel zoom. When you want to take just the body and one lens in places where you have not been before and you have no special purpose what to shoot. I would not call it a "macro zoom", its rather a "close focusing" zoom.
Beats my cron 50 in terms of IQ.

I use it on Sony Alpha for digital with Novoflex adapter.

• Like 1