what is this cr*p

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been shooting with the M8 (FW2.002) and a VC15 (f8 or f5.6) with IR filter in a few assignements recently. When I came home these were the results, simply horrible and unusable. As you can see the center is more red, while the corners are more green, over-all the white-balance is way, way off. There is no way I can sell this to a customer and getting it right will be a horrorjob. The 3th pic is from a D200 in the same circumstances as the 2nd. White ballance dead on and only some curve adjusting required

I wonder when the point comes I had enough of this and sell the stuff, I simply do not trust it anymore...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by imported_reinierv

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had experience with my CV 35mm f2.5 with a large green rectangular area in my pictures,

And for 3 days all my pictures took in Paris are not usable, the right edge on the photos all distorted and blurred, showing strong double shadows. nearly 700 pictures.

I send it back to my dealer and waiting for a solution, I don't trust it anymore either.

Did you try using the CV lens on the D200?

Seriously though - the M8 needs a UV/IR filter, furthermore it needs colour vignetting correction for wide lenses when using a UV/IR filter. This means your lens needs to be coded, and for a CV lens the correction will always be approximate.

You should already know this.

Perhaps cornerfix would help to remove the cyan vignetting. That's what it was designed for.

You can find it here: Download CornerFix 1.0.0.0 - Free and open source devignetting application for Leica M8 digital cameras - Softpedia

Was the CV lens coded? These look like what I'd excpect if a filter was used on the wide angle lens without coding.

As mentioned above use Cornerfix to correct the issues, otherwise buy a codable adaptor from John Milich and use that.

It isn't a case of trusting it, it's a case of knowing how to use it. If the whole filter/coding thing is too much for you then move on.

Edited by stunsworth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, my CV 15 does exactly the same in high-IR light. Even with filter and coding. Make a layer with the right vignetting and feathering, apply Lab colour mode, change the contrast curve in the "a" channel to the correct colourbalance, switch to aRGB again and merge. Three minutes work, if that. Hardly a horror-job I would say. You can even turn it into a mask and use it on all shots, cutting your time down to 15 secs per image. Next time use the WATE.

Edited by jaapv

I really think the lens is to blame here. Firstly, I always had these kind of problems with my CV15 even though I had a Milich adaptor and had it coded as a WATE. In a lot of cases I would have to adjust the colour drift and vignetting. Jaapv is giving you good advice about post processing.

Secondly, I do not have these problem with my WATE but there again it is approximately ten times the price (new) of a the CV15 and properly coded. I'm sorry but if you are a professional then you need the tools for the job and wonderful as the CV15 is, you are taking chances using it for professional work - unless - you are willing to put in the effort in PS/CS3.

LouisB

It looks like both failures here (imported_reinierv and LotharZhou) could have been easily avoided, simply by doing some test shots before leaving. In the case of imported_reinierv, a little previous research would have revealed the need for an IR filter and CornerFix in advance. This is not professional behaviour. And incidentally, with a Leica lens and IR filter, there would have been no problem. The tools were poorly researched and poorly chosen for the given task.

What ever happened to due diligence?

1) Download CornerFix

2) Shoot a reference image with IR filter using a white or uniform subject.

3) Load the reference image into CornerFix and create a CV 15 correction profile.

4) Run these NEF files (I assume they ARE raw btw) through CornerFix using the profile you created.

5) You may need to tweak & repeat 4 by adjusting the strength of the correction.

Karma should return at some point after this ... hopefully. :rolleyes:

It looks like both failures here (imported_reinierv and LotharZhou) could have been easily avoided, simply by doing some test shots before leaving. In the case of imported_reinierv, a little previous research would have revealed the need for an IR filter and CornerFix in advance. This is not professional behaviour. And incidentally, with a Leica lens and IR filter, there would have been no problem. The tools were poorly researched and poorly chosen for the given task.

What ever happened to due diligence?

Carsten, you are perhaps being a tad severe. We all make mistakes.

BTW, this is what is possible with an uncoded, unfiltered CV on an M8. You'll notice some redness in the corners which I could not be bothered to fix:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/architecture/56644-euston-building-underpass.html

LouisB

odd things is that is many other situations there was no problem at all, maybe some vignetting but the color was ok

this means that making a standard improvement process will not work

As I understand from jaap is that this will be depending on the IR levels at the time. In the first pic I can image that, bright sunlight present, but the 2nd, between the wood should have been no problem imo

Yes, Reinier, that is a correct observation. The amount of IR present in the light is of influence, these were outside, maybe at noon, and on a beautiful clear day -IR splashing over everything. In the woodwork, look at the ground: clear sand and concrete, the perfect IR reflector...The rest of the colour being off may well be the AWB trying to compensate for the corners. Btw. your annoyance is quite understandable, athough not really justified. ;) I would be hopping mad as well....

Edited by jaapv

here is a more straigh-forward example

It is the highest (38mtr) and fastest (I know ;-)) wooden rollercoaster in western-Europe, located near Venlo, in Tover(magic)land

Well...explain this...

the first pic is with Lens detection ON+IR, on uncoded lens VC 15

2nd pic is Lens detecton OFF, on uncoded lens VC15

both of f8 so vigneting should be close to none

both images look horrible

Yes they look awful, but they look awful because you really do need to code wide angle lenses on the M8. So the optical vignette is affected by aperture (you say there should be none, and there isn't), but the colour vignette will be there regardless of aperture, because that's inherent to the M8's design (a microlens / angle issue, IIRC).

The easy solution is to code the lens (as an 18mm) and then the camera will compensate for the cyan corners. Or Cornerfix will fix them; or you can do it yourself in LAB mode in PS, where you will only affect the colour and not the luminance.