Second hand prices much softer?

gylee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am not sure what the experience is outside of Hong Kong, but I popped into a Leica store today that had a good range of quality second hand gear in very good condition. Virtually new 35 f2 ASPH, choice of three with boxes, papers etc - US$1800 each (and I mean indistinguishable from new); 50 f2 in similar condition - US$700; 75 f2 ASPH - US$2200 (very, very tempting!), 50 1.4 ASPH (Chrome) - US$2500; MP (as new) - US$2200; MP a la carte (Chrome with blue leather - as new) - US$2400.

Compared to a year ago, these prices are very, very soft.

I also nearly bit on an R6.2 in Korea for US$900. Again - cheap.

Anyone else seeing this?

G.

Someone needs to create a LLRA (Leica Lens Resale Average), like the Dow. I guess you could have a Hang Seng version for Hong Kong prices, as well.

8^)

So far as I can tell just from scanning eBay and KEH, the prices seem to be mixed. Noctiluxes up, 75 summiluxes down, wide-angles up ($1200 for a 28 that was $900 2 years ago, $1500 for a pre-ASPH 21 that I got for $1000)

What I can't figure out is why there are NO 50 Summilux pre-ASPH lenses to be found at any price - at least in plain black anodized, and in the version that includes telescoping lens shade and focuses to .7 meters.

But that's the marketplace - a random walk.

Over 6 months ago I bought an as new 35 cron asph and a 50 lux asph demo for about those prices (once you take the conversion from Australian $ to US$).

Took a tour of your flickr site. Nice.

G.

My belief is that the dollar/euro/pound exchange ratio has something to do with it. New prices in British pounds was so good last December I purchased a new MP from England. That would drive used prices in dollars down.

When Leica discontinued the R line, many dealers were selling out of new R stuff at substantial discounts, up to 60% off list price. This should have the effect of driving some prices down.

And there just seems to be a very, very finite market for analog stuff these days.

"What I can't figure out is why there are NO 50 Summilux pre-ASPH lenses to be found at any price - at least in plain black anodized, and in the version that includes telescoping lens shade and focuses to .7 meters".

It seems that after everyone buying the 50 Lux ASPH, people have found that maybe they don't "need" that much sharpness, and the Mandler 50 Lux Pre has a wonderful signature.....while being plenty sharp enough.

I personally think that if you can afford both lenses, you have two of the best Leica Classic lenses ever made......my 50 Pre is not going anywhere :rolleyes:

The 0.7M closest focus v.3 has always been tough to find, although two black paint ones sold on RFF the last couple of weeks. Quickly. They are wonderful lenses, and at a good discount from the ASPH.

Apart from the R stock being moved try looking for anything more esoteric (fast or wide) and you may find that there is not much about and what is is pricey!

My 50/1.4M pre-asph (last version) is a superb lens - I'm more than happy with it although if it could be bettered anywhere it would be wide-open. See above, but there are few on sale as far as I can see.