Tested two 28's on the M8

stevem7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have seen many here in the past ask about the 28 Ultron vs the 28 Summicron. I was curious as well and being in the market for a faster 28 than my Elmarit I had the chance to try both these lenses.

What did I find? Basically, the Ultron has soft corners while the Summicron does not! Still, the Ultron, for the $$ is a nice lens and renders in an almost classic way.

If anyone is interested I have a head to head on my site, but this crop tells most of the story!

p715553939.jpg

p654116964.jpg

Has anyone else here had experience with both the latest Ultron and the Summicron? I found the color, and the smooth but sharp look of the cron appealing, but I also found the muted colors and slight softness of the Ultron made it great for portraits. Anyway, I have 5 pages on my site about it. I like both but can only keep one, so I opted to keep the Summicron.

Steve, very interesting review. Obviously the Cron is another planet, but not in all your comparision pictures it comes out as the winner I think. It depends on what you ask at your pictures.

Some Ultron pics in the comparision are much better for they warmth and colours than those of the Cron for example. I'm sure that the lady with the towel on her head would prefer the Ultron shot, more soft and with better colours than the too much sharp and cold one of the Cron IMO.

What I mean is given the low price of the Ultron, I would keep them both if I were you.

The Ultron took some pictures you could not get at all with the Cron.

The 28 f/2 Ultron (as opposed to the ASPH f/1.9) is more like the pre-ASPH 35 Summicrons in drawing - fuzzy corners, soft/sharp in the center @ f/2.

Personally I like the 28 Elmarit v. 3, which has warmer color and a mellower contrast than the 'cron, but still holds up in the corners.

But there it is - there is a nice variety of 28s to choose from these days.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good review Steve, I love it when real world images are used.

What's more annoying though is that I head to Burma, via Bangkok next week and was hoping to pick up the Ultron (f2) as the 50mm is just too tight on my M8 and has been relegated to a lens that's rarely used.

This now has given me doubts about getting the Ultron.

Which shot are you referring to (motion blur?) - The wallpaper shots were all on a tripod. At 1/125 I doubt there was any motion blur going on, but who knows? The shot of my Mom (towel lady) was taken handheld and honestly was not supposed to be used. I did that for my own curiosity but I did see a difference and actually preferred the Ultron shot there.

I agree with Enrico about the Ultron and even with its soft corners and other quirks it really is a great lens for the money.

Just realized you are most likely referring to the crop I put up here. These were done on a tripod with the M8 on self timer mode. No motion blur going on there, just the Ultron at F2 in the lower bottom left corner of the frame. By F8 it sharpens up. The Summicron is great all the way through the range.

I was thinking the same thing.

Steve,

the double lines in the Ultron shot, which could be mistaken as motion blur, result from uncorrected astigmatism I believe. Ouite a strong amount of residual astigmatism, actually.

Regards,

Andy

The new f/2 lens (M-mount) I tried, was a piece of crap at maximum aperture compared to my older screw f/1.9 version. Maybe there's wide sample variation, and I had a crappy f/2 and a great f/1.9, but those were my findings. My f/1.9 has visibly lower contrast wide open than the Summicron, but it's darn sharp. If I could get a Cron for $1500-1800 I might pop for it, but at over $2000, hell no.

Edited by Xing

The new f/2 lens (M-mount) I tried, was a piece of crap at maximum aperture compared to my older screw f/1.9 version. Maybe there's wide sample variation, and I had a crappy f/2 and a great f/1.9, but those were my findings. My f/1.9 has visibly lower contrast wide open than the Summicron, but it's darn sharp. If I could get a Cron for $1500-1800 I might pop for it, but at over $2000, hell no.

I hear ya man! That cron is way to expensive IMO at $4k new. This Ultron is a good lens, just not good for certain things. Excels for people shots IMO. Thanks!

Steve

The new f/2 lens (M-mount) I tried, was a piece of crap at maximum aperture compared to my older screw f/1.9 version.

Sean Reid's review about the 28 lenses perfectly showed the weakness of the Ultron f:2 when compared to the old Ultron f:1.9.

But giving the ability to be permanently coded and the pleasant way it draws under certain circumstances, i think the 28/2 is a very nice lens for the money it costs.

Sean Reid's review about the 28 lenses perfectly showed the weakness of the Ultron f:2 when compared to the old Ultron f:1.9.

But giving the ability to be permanently coded and the pleasant way it draws under certain circumstances, i think the 28/2 is a very nice lens for the money it costs.

Hi Enrico,

Yes - and also the strengths of the new lens.

Cheers,

Sean

The older 28 can be permantly coded using JM's LTM8 adapters. Granted it is a few more dollars, but so is sending it out to be coded. As a plus, I can still use it with my LTM IIIc's.

I tried the 28/2, compared it to my 28/1.9, and sent the f/2 back to my friend. I wasn't impressed. Now, if I had the $$$$'s to spare, I would buy the Summicron. The difference between 1.9 an 2 isn't a big deal to me.

I have seen many here in the past ask about the 28 Ultron vs the 28 Summicron. I was curious as well and being in the market for a faster 28 than my Elmarit I had the chance to try both these lenses.

What did I find? Basically, the Ultron has soft corners while the Summicron does not! Still, the Ultron, for the $$ is a nice lens and renders in an almost classic way.

If anyone is interested I have a head to head on my site, but this crop tells most of the story !

p715553939.jpg

p654116964.jpg

Has anyone else here had experience with both the latest Ultron and the Summicron? I found the color, and the smooth but sharp look of the cron appealing, but I also found the muted colors and slight softness of the Ultron made it great for portraits. Anyway, I have 5 pages on my site about it. I like both but can only keep one, so I opted to keep the Summicron.

Steve,

Just a layman's question if you allow.

I have no experience of optics except Leica, but the second crop seems unsharp isn't ?

I have a summicron 28 mm and I am very satisfied for the sharpness

Do you mean that the Voigt Ultron f 2 gives vague edges on your picture ?

Thanks for your reply

Henry

Everything I have read/heard has said the old 28 Ultron was a better lens. The F2 has its strengths, particularly its character but since the wife OK'd the cron I guess I can not argue with her :)

Steve

Flare is much better controlled with the new 28 Ultron. Both the 1.9 and 2.0 have their pros and cons.

Cheers,

Sean