Summicron 35 portrait

VMPEOPLE

A wide lens is unmatched if you want to make the portrait more environmental; by that I mean showing enough recognizable background to provide a meaningful context for your your subject. This contrasts with the more close-up style of portraiture where the face is sharp against a blurred background. These can be shot anywhere but the environmental approach requires an appropriate location. The example you have posted is an example.

Vince, I like very much portrait taken with wider lenses. I have sometime experimented with my 12 getting surprising results and will do with the 15. The chance to take a picture keeping the camera at no more than 50 cm from the face of the model and getting as well a big part of the background with no distortion is quite fascinating.

This one is beautiful for the composition and cut as well for the tonal range and of course for the lady.

I remember working with a photographer years ago who used to do all of his portraits using a 28mm lens; vertical shot, usually sat down, three-quarter length and always with the sitter's head right in the middle of the frame. Always very powerful and moving shots. Only recently have I worked out that as well as the above, he was also very good at spotting beautiful light. I did try to emulate his style for a while and without realising the importance of light, made some pretty average portraits.

I like all the wides. Nice image, but given her beauty, why did you use such a high contrast level? All her details are missing.

Hi :)

I really can't help it....I like high contrast images....but I do pay attention not to loose any details...

cheers.

vince