Capture 1 at default destroys fine detail.....

sclamb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed something in a few pictures and looked into it further using different raw processing software on M8.2 pictures. What I was noticing is that detail was looking mushy in some pictures and I thought it might be the lens, but now I see it is how C1 processes by default.

When you open a DNG file, C1 has the following set by default on the details tab:

Noise Reduction

Lunimance: 25

Colour: 40

Sharpening

Amount: 130

Radius: 0.8

Threshold: 1.0

It is the luminance noise reduction that is making much of fine detail turn to mush, and it is not really needed at ISO160 anyway.

Here is a 100% crop of a picture taken at ISO160 that was processed using the C1 defaults as listed above:

C1Defaults.jpg

Here is the default NR settings but with sharpening set to 190/1.3/1.0:

C1DefaultShp.jpg

Here is the same area cropped but with Liminance set to 0 and sharpening set to 190/1.3/1.0:

C1NoLumNR.jpg

The detail is much better and has not been destroyed by the default NR. I suggest turning off the Luninance NR unless it actually help for high ISO shots.

I know it is hard to tell with such small samples, but give it a try and you will see the difference. I can report that Aperture and RPP do not cause this mushing of fine detail as they do not set NR by default.

Simon

Luminance noise reduction destroys detail in all Raw programs and is generally a waist of time if you are creating prints. So many fine images have been ruined by the combination of Luma noise reduction and artificial sharpening that it's a wonder folks still use those functions. I guess if they give us a knob we are driven to twiddle it, but when you see a print that looks "digital" you can blame NR and Sharpening about 90% of the time.

Best wishes

Dan

You can easily set your own defaults in C4. There have been many posts on this forum advocating just that - switch off NR and sharpening in Raw conversion for M8 files.

Yes indeed. I now have some M8 settings saved as defaults so that they are set each time I open C1.

Simon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Luminance noise reduction destroys detail in all Raw programs and is generally a waist of time if you are creating prints. So many fine images have been ruined by the combination of Luma noise reduction and artificial sharpening that it's a wonder folks still use those functions. I guess if they give us a knob we are driven to twiddle it, but when you see a print that looks "digital" you can blame NR and Sharpening about 90% of the time.

Best wishes

Dan

Agreed Dan. Just seems odd that C1 has luminance NR set on by default where it should be only used if required.

Simon