Leica III(a), usable?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thanks,

I agree with you, there are enough modern lenses to reach near perfect sharpness* (*and I am sure that many of us are looking after "something else" ), so I may keep it anyway but I'm afraid of highlights with all this haze (I'll try to do a closer picture of it).

PS: I found a funny Leitz "exposure table" (not sure of my translation) either from 1934 in the everyready case: no need of lightmeter now :)

150-200 E would be a steal for such a good looker. I paid 300 for a similar set a couple of months ago. And with a little bit of care, these summars clean up pretty well. Most haze will be at the inner surfaces of the front group that you can unscrew and the inner surface of the element behind the aperture. Take care with the aperture blades! The glass is very soft, but there's no soft coating that could be damaged. Lens cleaning fluid, like you use for spectacle glass, works really well.

So, the lens look like that before cleaning...

As it's in near crystal clear condition now, I can see many "hairlines" visible on the front lens...As you said: glass is fragile

(Huubl: french market for "oldtimers" reveal cheaper prices than in US, Asia or UK: look at that...: Materiel photo labo eclairage Image & Son Vaucluse - leboncoin.fr )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...

I' ve finally tested the Summar (only one shot on a colour film)... very surprised by the quality of this 75 years old lens (even if I missed to use the RF:D)...

(scanned with a KIS dks in high resolution without any color/light/contrast compensation)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest flatfour

The Summar, if in first class condition, is a wonderful lens giving the original "Leica look" to a picture. The contrast of these pre-war lenses is not so high but the tones are superb. The only weakness of the Summar was the relatively soft front element. It can be polished. None of the originals were coated so there is nothing to lose so long as any marks are not deep scratches. Good luck.

Guest flatfour

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry - I left the picture off. this was taken 23 years ago with my LeicaIII and 50mm Summar

• 8 years later...

I have just bought today, a 2 owner from new, IIIa with Summar in tribute to my late father, who used this combination for thirty years. It comes with its original ERC,  a hard cover Morgan & Lester Leica manual and receipt from Wallace Heaton of New Bond Street in London. My father was a far better photographer than I will ever be and never used a light meter, even with the limitations of 10 ASA Kodachrome, which had a paper thin exposure tolerance. He could never explain to me how he did it, jumping from HP3 at 200 ASA in one camera to 10 ASA Kodachrome in the other and virtually never making a mistake. Now I just need to find a good MOOLY winder to complete the outfit he had. He was so upset when it was stolen, along with his Contax IIa, that he gave up photography completely and passed on his virtually unused IIf and Summitar to me. My father had his Summar coated in 1948 and I had it re-polished and recoated in 1964/5, strangely enough also by Wallace Heaton, who also added bulb flash sync. I will have to hide the IIIa from my other half. She just does not understand why any man needs 20 Leicas plus other cameras  :) It could be worse - it could be drug addiction. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 4

Lovely old Leica in apparently excellent condition, with provenance papers and a perfectly good reason to buy it.

I hope you find the right MOOLY and have pleasure using the outfit "in burst mode" to the amazement of observers - who may capture the event with their "radio phones" as I call them.

Lovely old Leica in apparently excellent condition, with provenance papers and a perfectly good reason to buy it.

I hope you find the right MOOLY and have pleasure using the outfit "in burst mode" to the amazement of observers - who may capture the event with their "radio phones" as I call them.

The one I have that really gets folks reaching for their iPhones, is my 70mm film huge Combat Graflex rangefinder. Its motor drive, film advance and massive shutter blinds running are about as subtle as a 0.50" Browning Ma Deuce machine gun firing  :D Here with its tele 8" Kodak Ektar lens. To get an idea of the size, compare with the tiny looking Leitz table tripod supporting it.

Wilson

• Like 1

Take a good look at the shutter curtains by unscrewing the lens. Make sure they are “flat” without wrinkles or gaps at the top or bottom.

You can also slide a thin bright white card into the film slot to check for pinholes. Will not find really tiny ones but may spot gross damage (usually from fungus growing on the natural cotton of the blinds). Take a photo at shutter setting B with the card in there and check carefully as you recock the shutter with the wind on knob. 

Wilson

It’s odd how the F2 Summar was the miracle lens when introduced, then got the reputation as a dog, now is back to beloved status. It’s amazing the price level they have reached on eBay.

I still prefer the Summarit - it is even wackier  :)

Wilson

All this talk has made me go dig out the summar that came attached to my IIIa. It has a little etching on one of the inner elements that can soften the image but I like the effect it produces.

I hope one day to find a summar with serious cleaning damage but good interior elements so I can try parts swapping to improve mine.