Smallest flash with tilt?

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm new to the M8, but have been a Nikon shooter for many years. I tried my SB-800 and there is no way I can see that it will fit in the hot shoe. The SB-800 foot is too thick, which seems to be the case for just about all my Nikon flash units and the M8. Could someone explain or am I missing something?
I don't use an M8 Paul but the SB-800 fits both my regular MP and my MP3 perfectly. It must be the shoe in the M8... :confused:
and now: smallest flash with tilt AND swivel? sometimes i di sue the camera in portrait orientation
I would think the Nikon SB-800. The more recent ones now swivel 180º so you can bounce the flash off the ceiling behind you.

Why did Nikon discontinue the SB-800? Look at the used prices on eBay! :eek: The SB-900 is not a replacement model... :(

Smallest flash I've seen is the very simple, non-TTL Sunpak 1600A. Tilting head only (no swivel.)

I would never let it touch my M8 except through a Wein SynchSafe.

-g

That is the advantage of going Metz - it is always going to be safe. Jaap's SF24D is the first Metz built flash I have heard of failing. They did have a period a few years ago when their QC was not up to speed but the items (SCA modules and SCA 3000 link cords) did not work from day one. Once you found one that worked, it stayed working. I recently sold my ancient 45MZ hammerhead flash, which was still working perfectly. I bought it years ago from a friend who had done probably a hundred weddings with it but wanted something with a faster cycle time (he bought a 76MZ-5). I replaced the rechargeable cells as their life was getting a bit short but that is all. My old 40MZ-2 still works fine in spite of being dropped onto concrete, which cracked the LCD cover but otherwise no adverse effect. I hope my new SF58 is as robust and reliable.

Wilson

The SF24D simply died. One moment it was fine, the next -nothing. new batteries didn't work, so, as it was about four years old the only option was the dustbin. I agree with Wilson that Metz flashes are normally indestructable. I have a 32 Z2, a 32 MZ3, and even a L 23 BC 303B, which must be all of 30 years old and still going strong. All work perfectly with the M8, but I really want a small tilt-head for occasional use. I was offered a SF24D at an excellent price by a forum member::) (thank you, you know who you are), but the lack of tilt has put me off that flash. So I ordered a 20C2 at a price just under 30 Euro. One cannot go wrong there I think.

Jaapv

Ditto ... lookinf forward to your 1st hand experience with this little flash ... I'm also much interested but learn that it recycle time may be bit long for consecutive shots with flash.

Cheers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will. Right now I'm travelling back in time_ flash broken, one M8 and Summicron 35 asph in Solms...This is what I'm using now :( No hardship though :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I will. Right now I'm travelling back in time_ flash broken, one M8 and Summicron 35 asph in Solms...This is what I'm using now :( No hardship though :)

Look on the bright side though Jaap, when your M8 comes back from Solms, it's covering will match your flash! :D

I'm also very interested in hearing how the C20 performs for you Jaap.

Once again today I was using my Canon 430EX in manual mode with the M8, and thinking all the time that I must get a smaller flash for travel.

The SF24D looks nice and small, but is very pricey. It has TTL, but that functionality requires a pre-flash, is this right? If so, I aren't going to be using the TTL feature!

On the other hand the C20 has an auto feature that will at least give me a quicker option than manually setting my 430EX. It also takes AA batteries, which the Leica does not - very important for travel. And the tilt flash feature will allow two-handed operation of the camera if I want that rather than a more directed off-camera flash at the expense of single handed-camera operation.

I think the C20 will have enough power for me for fill flash, and even close bounce work shot at ISO360, but I'd like to hear about your experience with this Jaap.

• 2 weeks later...

C20.

Nicely built, except for the shoe. That is thin and not very precise. It won't wobble once locked, but the flash can be turned a few degrees to the left or the right.

Capacity is sufficient for fill-in flash or bounce flash at not too long range ( say up to 5-6 meters)

It has the problem of every small flash that light fall-off to the distance is quite steep, making it less suited for direct flash in dark circumstances.

The flash has a strong hot spot at 21 mm (M8) still a visible but acceptable hotspot at 28 mm (M8) and fairly even coverage at 35 mm (M8)

The results in actual use are decent, but it cannot replace a serious flash. At the price (30 Euro) it is a no-brainer to have it as an "emergency" flash in your bag, even in a small bag. It is lighter and smaller than the SF24D, but for direct flash the SF24D is the better unit.

Thanks very much for the response Jaap.

The 5-6m distance limit you mentioned must be the limit for bounce flash, at ISO160, with something like f/2.8 - correct? I think that would be enough for me. I would probably shoot at ISO360 or 640 indoors anyway so that I could get some ambient exposure when dragging the shutter.

Do you find the metering to be accurate for fill flash? I am particularly interested to hear how well the "auto" feature works with strong back-light.

If you have any sample pictures, please direct me to them. Otherwise, thanks again for your response.

I realise that for 30 Euro I should probably just go buy one myself and experiment a little .... but my priority is to try to save enough money for a wide anlge lens right now before the summer holidays - the flash would be an "extra" :o

Yes that is the limit for bounce flash. I would not recommend the flash for evening shots with direct flash, as it will produce a strong "startled rabbit" look, due to its limited strength and strong falloff both in the disatnce and towards the edges (on anything wider than 50 mm equivalent)

The Auto feature works reasonably well with fill flash, but it needs quite a bit of correction, at least one stop with strong backlight, as the sensor seems to have quite a wide angle of capture.

"...the sensor seems to have quite a wide angle of capture." - thanks Jaap, this was exactly what I needed to know. I think I will continue to save for the wide angle and at the same time to learn to make best use of my 430EX in manual mode, as it sounds like manual flash will be the way ahead with any of the flash systems discussed so far.

Once again, thank you very much for the information.