Smallest flash with tilt?

jaapv

Not likely, Maurizio. For that kind of thing one would have to look at SCA flashes. I think it is a handy little flash, and for the price which is similar to one SD card, I am tempted.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not likely, Maurizio. For that kind of thing one would have to look at SCA flashes. I think it is a handy little flash, and for the price which is similar to one SD card, I am tempted.

Thanks Jaap,

have you already seen a specific model?

I keep on searching... I'm tempted too.

I know it has been chewed to the bone, but since my SF24D died I am looking for a no-nonsense miniature auto-flash with a tilt head, small enough not to notice in my bag.

Just how did your flash die? Completely dead or just the flash bulb?

I know it has been chewed to the bone, but since my SF24D died I am looking for a no-nonsense miniature auto-flash with a tilt head, small enough not to notice in my bag.

Jaap,

Down at the economy end of the market, there is the Jessops 300 at £34 in the UK (now so little in €, it is not worth mentioning). See it here Jessops 300AFD Digital Flashgun for Nikon - Jessops

Wilson

That Metz seems like a nice flash. The Nikon SB-800 is roughly the same width and depth but 20mm bigger in height. The SB-800 is a really powerful and flexible little flash...

I'm new to the M8, but have been a Nikon shooter for many years. I tried my SB-800 and there is no way I can see that it will fit in the hot shoe. The SB-800 foot is too thick, which seems to be the case for just about all my Nikon flash units and the M8. Could someone explain or am I missing something?

Paul

I'm new to the M8, but have been a Nikon shooter for many years. I tried my SB-800 and there is no way I can see that it will fit in the hot shoe. The SB-800 foot is too thick, which seems to be the case for just about all my Nikon flash units and the M8. Could someone explain or am I missing something?

Paul

I use a SB800 on the M8 and it fits fine, tight yes but it does slip in.

There was another thread on this a while ago, specically on how far in the Nikon flashes slide into the shoe especially the newer SB900, and what some have done is file a notch in the front of the flash plate to go around the front pin on the M8 hot shoe.

I have done the same on my SB800 just so it fits better.

OK, when I get my M8 back I will try again. It just seemed that the plastic part at the opening of the hot shoe was quite thick and it seemed the flash would not slide into it even with some force. I tried a few others too. BTW all my flashes fit the M7 hot shoe with no problems.

Jaap, sorry that your SF24D died on you. Maybe your best bet would nevertheless be another one, and a Nikon SC-17 or SC-19 'system' shoe-to-shoe extension cable. This rig gives me even more flexibility than a tilt-and-swivel flash unit.

I did in fact use it with an older little external auto only Metz flash (a 34 CS-2). I bounced extensively with the flash on manual, using the M8 histogram as a flash meter. It worked, but the SF24 is of course more convenient.

The old man from the Age of Flashpowder