S2 under pricing pressure

andreas_thomsen

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whoa. Peter asked for a Leica to test and they didn't send him one? I find this very suspicious. I doubt that ny reputable maker would fail to send Peter a camera if one existed. Obviously, there are no S2's in existence.

Leica knows nothing about marketing. I asked for a Ferrari to test and this girl brought me one the next day.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

It's very much like a D3 in style and handling obviously simpler controls though. Little bigger and heavier as well which is expected. That part is there for sure in a prototype. Admittedly was very nice to handle, which for 35mm folks is pretty normal feel.

Oops sounds like I was talking about the model. LOL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's very much like a D3 in style and handling obviously simpler controls though. Little bigger and heavier as well which is expected. That part is there for sure in a prototype. Admittedly was very nice to handle, which for 35mm folks is pretty normal feel.

Oops sounds like I was talking about the model. LOL

I got to handle an S2 at the Photo Expo. As a matter of fact, both were a joy to handle ;)

This pic looks a little fuzzy to me. :D

Maybe I was nervous ;) It was a 2 megapixel p&s and this was the best it could focus at night. Notice the magenta cast?

See how easily we men can forget about cameras.

Edited by AlanG

Back to work for me and yes the economy sucks the big banana and we should all forget this stuff until it is out and the proof is in the pudding otherwise it is gum chewing as someone put it. Bye

I seem to recall that my post that kicked all this acrimony off started with " I guess we will have to wait until you get your hands on one"

Isn't this a lot of passion about a system nobody has used in earnest yet?

Leica knows nothing about marketing. I asked for a Ferrari to test and this girl brought me one the next day.

Are those the new Ray-Bans?

I once wished for a Ferrari, but none showed up, so they don't exist. Just as well, really, as I prefer classic Porsches.

Guest guy_mancuso
I seem to recall that my post that kicked all this acrimony off started with " I guess we will have to wait until you get your hands on one"

Isn't this a lot of passion about a system nobody has used in earnest yet?

Guess you can tell that to the million posts about a camera that is not out yet. Go figure but my money will stay firmly planted in my pocket until this is out for some time and if it actually makes any sense. Which right now it does not but that could always change next year after it is out for awhile and it is a actual complete system that is running and working. Until than I need to make money PERIOD and not spend it on gear.

Guess you can tell that to the million posts about a camera that is not out yet. Go figure but my money will stay firmly planted in my pocket until this is out for some time and if it actually makes any sense. Which right now it does not but that could always change next year after it is out for awhile and it is a actual complete system that is running and working. Until than I need to make money PERIOD and not spend it on gear.

Seems an eminently sensible attitude for a professional photographer to me...

hey guy I thought you were a bit otp with calling the minimal pr leica has put out as hype..

granted it is still at least a few months from being released but I fail to see them going overboard with dillussions of grandeur.

I wish we would drop this medium format talk, it should have died with the film that went in them..state of the art digital backs all have smaller than 9 micron pixels, they vary in size with the S2 sensor on the smaller end of the range.

Taking into account all that the leica has going for it.. size, handling, great glass, weathersealed..etc..and comparing that to a 22mp digback doesn't make sense.

I am surprised that you don't assume, as I do, it will be better out of the gate than a 645 sized digital slr, to me that is a no brainer..and I do not underestimate the abilities of the 22mp backs either, as I continue to shoot this size back.

It is too early to really compare to anything as they have not released any raw images to see..and like the dmr the numbers don't always tell the whole picture, but unless they really drop the ball going into production and with the software, which btw is just getting better and better, I see this S2 as being right in there with the current so called mf slrs. Will it be more than I want to spend on a camera system?, absolutely!, so were my new sinars..so was my 16mp imacon back..and lots of folks thought I was really silly to buy into a r9/dmr system...well those devices sure did come through for me and now in hindsight I see I got my money's worth, I seriously doubt that this S2 will come in more than what I paid for my rollei 6008i and imacon 16mp back in 2003 dollars..and it will be a way better camera system..it would be like porsche coming out with a new top end model and selling it for what a 2 wheel drive 911 sold for new in 2003..all that could, would be rubbing their hands in delight..

Leica is to market the most sophisicated, high resolution camera that they have ever made..a new format, new AF lenses..clearly a huge step forward for them..they have simply stated what their aim and potential for the camera is and you lable it as hype..sorry, but I just don't see it as hype.

Guest guy_mancuso

Paul my idea of what this system should cost and what it will mostly be at and given what it is there is a huge gap there. I don't see Leica coming anywhere close to my reality on it. But that's me and what i think it is worth. Also like I said pick a battlefield in one area and concentrate on a area that Leica can clearly win and that is where the marketing should be but right now it is all over the place with no direction and no clear path. Also frankly SOMEONE has to speak up about what it is NOT. Otherwise no one at Leica will listen to anything of value from real users that actually have to work with this stuff and have to pay for it. Sure you can build the nicest box in the world and hell any Pro shooter would love to tell Leica how to build the greatest toy in the world but if you can't get it off the shelfs at a reasonable affordable cost to Pro's and hobbyist than it is not necessarily the best toy is it.

Just wondering where the reality is here. anyway to each his own and I stand by what I said and really don't care what anyone thinks about it. Everyone else has a opinion they share mine just is not the most popular and sorry. I like the camera and the features but it has to work and not sit in a shop for 3 months on repair. So my message has been and always will be show me a proven model. I will not go down this path 3 times without it. I did it twice and loved the end result but getting there i got a lot of grey hair. I am not doing it again, let someone else put out there 30 grand and be the guinea pig.

Paul my idea of what this system should cost and what it will mostly be at and given what it is there is a huge gap there. I don't see Leica coming anywhere close to my reality on it. But that's me and what i think it is worth. Also like I said pick a battlefield in one area and concentrate on a area that Leica can clearly win and that is where the marketing should be but right now it is all over the place with no direction and no clear path. Also frankly SOMEONE has to speak up about what it is NOT. Otherwise no one at Leica will listen to anything of value from real users that actually have to work with this stuff and have to pay for it. Sure you can build the nicest box in the world and hell any Pro shooter would love to tell Leica how to build the greatest toy in the world but if you can't get it off the shelfs at a reasonable affordable cost to Pro's and hobbyist than it is not necessarily the best toy is it.

Just wondering where the reality is here. anyway to each his own and I stand by what I said and really don't care what anyone thinks about it. Everyone else has a opinion they share mine just is not the most popular and sorry. I like the camera and the features but it has to work and not sit in a shop for 3 months on repair. So my message has been and always will be show me a proven model. I will not go down this path 3 times without it. I did it twice and loved the end result but getting there i got a lot of grey hair. I am not doing it again, let someone else put out there 30 grand and be the guinea pig.

Guy, my over-under on you buying an S2 when it is released is 30 days. No way, you will be able to listen/read as others talk about this camera/system. You'll go from grey hair to no hair in about 4 weeks. ;)

Just wondering where the reality is here. anyway to each his own and I stand by what I said and really don't care what anyone thinks about it.

Guy, this is reality - regardless of everything you say now, regardless of the price, regardless of whether it works or not, you will have one in your bag before Christmas claiming it's everything you've ever wanted. That's the reality. LOL

Guest guy_mancuso

Not a chance and we can bet a lot of money on it. I will NOT have one by Christmas. I have a family to feed and right now that is paramount. Camera's and gear have lost any priority I may have had in them are long gone. Very happy with what I am shooting. I am switching backs but at the same costs just to gain a extra ISO stop but not systems. If anything i would go backwards on gear. That maybe just hard cold economic reality if things do not get better. It sucks out here be happy you folks have real jobs. I do not know one Pro that is not taking a hit right now. If they say they are not than there lying through there teeth. LOL

I appreciate and respect where you are coming from Guy.. you have been through the revolving door of gear, changing systems is never cheap..I on the other hand, have gotten by with my older technology and the memory of what it cost is on past schedule C tax returns..so I am looking at it from a different perspective. I need to upgrade this coming year.

Sounds like you just don't want to be seduced by it..as it is a costly path to go down. and what you have at home or what is available to you is doing the job..I get it.