R8/9 "fitted for DMR"

JBA

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm considering the purchase of an R8 and/or R9 and DMR in order to have identical (or nearly so) bodies for digital and film.

I've noticed that on Ebay some auctions designate "fitted for DMR." My understanding was that all R8/9s could take the DMR, but the specific designation raises doubts. Do the cameras need to be specially modified to take the DMR?

By the way, I will not be buying from Ebay since the cameras are available locally at competitive prices (but the DMR would be catch as catch can).

The R9 works extremely well with the DMR. There have been cases where older R8's have needed small mods to the connecting pins to be carried out by Leica before it recognised the DMR back. Later R8's do not seem to have the same problem.

However, as with all digital backs the DMR and camera connections need to be kept clean to ensure good connectivity whether it is an R9 or R8.

I hope that you enjoy your R? and DMR when you get it.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

I checked out an irresistibly priced R8 this evening and fell in love. It makes my SL2 look like a venerable antique.

Finding a DMR may prove more of a challenge, though there's one for sale in the Classified section (entirely in German).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

JBA,

I remember when buying my ex dem R8, I did some research about s/no of the R8 with DMR support (i.e. without requiring a trip to Solms) and although I can't find the details, mine was OK. So as a start, any R8 later than s/no 247xxxx should work fine!

see this ...

Leica FAQ - R8 versions and serial numbers

and

Leica FAQ - Digital Module R

John

I sprang for the R8 and am very glad I did. This is my first electronic camera with program mode. Until now I've been using strictly manual mechanical cameras. My SL2 is steam-powered by comparison (except for the viewfinder, which is still better).

I haven't checked the serial # yet, but all the contacts are flat. I assume this means it would need modification to work with a DMR. In the meantime, however, this camera is just begging for a motor drive and a 28-90. :o

Incidentally, does anyone have the PDF for the R8 owner's manual? I've been reading the R9 manual and the only differences I'm aware of so far are the mode dial lock and the light in the rear LCD screen, but perhaps there are others.

Thanks. That one is better than the R9 manual on Leica's site, which starts with the diagram of the camera and instructions in German followed by English, making it a real pain to scroll back and forth to check what's where.