M6 Millenium or MP BETRIEBSK

gigibond

Advertisement (gone after registration)

dear all,

I am new here as I am still not a Leica owner (apart of my beautiful Lecia D Summilux 25mm F1.4 ASPH mounted on my E-3 Olympus).

I have the opportunity now to buy a special Leica for me. I want a 35mm lens and an MP or MP like body; i have no interest in M7 or normal M6 bodies. Having budgeted no more that 3'500 € I am valuating the following:

- an M6 Millenium Black paint with a Summicron 35mm ASPH Black Paint both in very good condition at 3'500 €

- a superb NEW MP BETRIEBSK Black Paint with a discrete Voigtlander Color Skopar 35mm F2.5 at 3'200 € (2800 are for the MP)

The fact is that I really love the MP, on the other side with the first option I would get a far better lens...

What is your opinion? Is the M6 Millenium hand made and reliable as the MP? What would you suggest?

thanks for your kind advice!!!

ciao

G.

Welcome to the forum!

The MP is probably the best Leica M ever made, and the 35 ASPH probably the best all-round Leica M lens ever made. It's the lens that make the photograph.

Go for the body with the better lens.

Why are you so dead against an M7, btw?

Welcome to the forum!

The MP is probably the best Leica M ever made, and the 35 ASPH probably the best all-round Leica M lens ever made. It's the lens that make the photograph.

Go for the body with the better lens.

Why are you so dead against an M7, btw?

thanks for you advice. The fact is that I purchased this year many great lens for my E-3, which I love, but I am coming back to film in these days (I also have an OM-2 with a zuiko 50mm F1.2) and I am convincing me that the feeeling with the camera sometimes give me more oportuinities to take better shots...

That is why I am impressed of the feeling of an MP....

However I only touched a regular M6 by now, not a Millenium which seems in photo pretty similar to the MP (included the black painting..)

I am not interested in a M7 as this Leica must me a complete manual toy (I already have digital (E-3), semi-automatic film SRL (OM-2) now I want a total mechanical camera..)..

g.

Flickr: giusvio's Photostream

The M6 is not completely manual. It has a built-in meter.

You need to go back to an M4 or older to get a completely manual M.

The M6 IS completely manual. The meter does not affect the workings of the camera. They don't come any "manualler" once you leave out the battery.

Some time ago I saw an used MP on the web page of a local dealer and was set to buy it. In the shop I discovered a M6 classic (no TTL flash) in very good condition for half the price of the MP. After some consideration I decided I just need a film holder with an exposure meter and bought the M6.

Admittedly, the MP looks better than the M6, in my view the MP is one of the best looking cameras ever made. On the other hand the M6 has seen several countries now - I'm not sure, whether I would have taken the risk of scratching the nice black paint of the MP in my bag....

Stefan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M6 IS completely manual. The meter does not affect the workings of the camera. They don't come any "manualler" once you leave out the battery.

Well, that's true enough, but to my mind, a truly manual M is one without a battery compartment.

I would go for an MP.

You may want to reconsider the Betriebsk body as you are paying a serious premium for a little engraving on the top. If you look around, you can find a regular production MP and a mint 35 lens for pretty close to your budget. Just be patient.

Now, if you were talking about one of the special, solid milled titanium MP's for the Japanese market, then I'd race you to the checkout.

Enjoy the hobby.

Eric

I'll second the suggestion to be patient and find the camera you really want, along with the lens your really want.

As for usage, you can't go wrong with either body - however you're interest is for something special and you'll do best to honor that desire and get the one that's most special to you.

All the best!

-J.

The difference between the M6 and the MP is in the finder, unless the M6 has had the MP finder upgrade. As someone who owns both, I would definitely recommend the MP. But why do you want to go for special editions? Just get a stock camera.

I also agree with Andy about the MP with 35 Asph. This is a combination that will take your breath away.

Guest maddoc2003jp

The lens is what counts so I would always opt for the "best" affordable lens and the cheapest body. An M2 (which handles better than any MP and is true mechanical) + 35mm Summilux ASPH should easily fit into your budget. :)

I don't agree that the lens is everything and the body just a film holder, at least with everyone. It's true that a non-beaten, non-coca-colad, properly serviced old Leica will serve very well, but if some particular camera really "gets you in the mood", it is a very considerable gain in the photographing process. Not to mention the built-in light meter, which can be crucial for some in order to get good pictures.

That being said, all the Ms are very much the same, so I'd imagine it's easy to fall in love with any of them if you like one of them.

I don't have user experience in the M6/MP-department, but to me an MP is much more attractive. If I could afford it, I'd go for it. I might even save for it even if I had the money for an M6. But this is just personal preference not based on using.

You should also consider the special edition looks - are they restricting your use, since it will be a user camera? Both are special editions, but if one is in better condition and/or "more special" (to you), it might scare you not to scratch them. On the other hand, they just might help you "get into the mood", as I said.

I myself would go for the MP. I'd give the Color-Skopar a try. If it would turn out to be not good enough, I'd just sell it and get something else instead, there is not much to lose. Useless it most certainly is not. Voigtländer's optics in the old days were even preferred over Leica's by some... And if nothing else, it's smaller than the 35/2, I assume. If you prefer fast glass, it can be kept as a small alternative alongside, say, a Summilux.

I have a BP millennium and I am not very fond of it, it's in a banksafe, never had a film in it.Bought it new in 2000 and wil sell it in the future, but since I haven't touched it for years, I suppose I 'll have to have it cla'd before selling. I use a M6TTL, but if I could start from zero again I would buy a new chrome M6 classic, since I love the smaller body. The reason I 'm not selling it, is the direction of the shutterspeed-dial, because if I buy a M9 or R10 later, I guess the direction will be the same as the ttl. I have the 35 lux asph, but find the 35 cron more discreet and userfriendly ( not blocking the viewfinder ).

Etienne Michiels

The lens is what counts so I would always opt for the "best" affordable lens and the cheapest body. An M2 (which handles better than any MP and is true mechanical) + 35mm Summilux ASPH should easily fit into your budget. :)

Didn't someone you know have an M2 for sale last week? ;)

thanks for your kind replies...

but...

today I went into the shop and I was totally blown away by the M6 Millenium and the 35mm ASPH BP...

So...now it is mine, I am excited to try it the next days!!

I will keep you update!

thanks everybody

G.

ps: here it is...

3460853066_795ebae908.jpg

today I went into the shop and I was totally blown away by the M6 Millenium and the 35mm ASPH BP...

So...now it is mine, ...

Congrats on your new camera! Looks terrific, although I seem to remember that the M6TTL Millenium edition originally came with a BLACK Leica "red" dot, instead of the usual red one on your camera. Someone must have disliked the black one. That's how we are, I had the red one on my M7 exchanged for a black one.

Andy

I think his new darling may be correct with the red dot. I believe the black dot was released with the LHSA edition black paint M6TTL.

No worries if I'm wrong - go ahread and correct me here.

Eric

I think his new darling may be correct with the red dot. I believe the black dot was released with the LHSA edition black paint M6TTL.

No worries if I'm wrong - go ahread and correct me here.

Eric

You may well be right. I may have mixed up those two models.

Andy