M6TTL & Metz Flash

Thomasru

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi :) This is my first posting as I only joined yesterday . I am looking for advice from the many Leica users around the world on this new subject for me. I have used my M6TTL for many years and once or twice used my Leica SF20 flash. But now I have a new(the first ;) )

grandson and would like to take regular photographs of him and my family. I have been advised that a studio flash is not the way to go because of size etc.so I have looked at metz flash, but also want to use it like studio flash with side flash guns controled from the camera but a few feet away. I'm not bothered about TTL but would like the option if possible. I have contacted Metz and looked at the web site. It seems clear then it gets muddled. :confused:

Has anyone used this type of set up before with M6TTL/Metz if so can you advise me what to buy.

Thanks TomR:)

I'd look into a Quantum Q-Flash and Turbo Battery. It's not TTl, but its Automatic thyristor mode is pretty accurate. It's made to be used on a flash bracket or light stand though--no on-camera action. I've had mine for years though and am real satisfied with it.

Troy

I have just recently been experimenting with off-camera flash. The problem with finding clear answers in the Leica Camera literature regarding off-camera flash using the controlling flash's TTL meter reading is that Leicas are always thought of as an available light camera. If you buy Metz units like I have (54 mz-41 digital and 28 cs-2), most of their literature and manuals go to great lengths how to use them with Nikon and Canon. The first time, I really saw any treatment of Flash photography worth mentioning is in Sean Reid's Part 3 review of the M8.

I have bought SCA-3083 to place the 54mz-4i unit in slave mode., of course the 28-cs-2 is a slave and bpth can be configured to calibrate to any pre-flash features in an on camera controlling flash.

When you're controlling remote flashes you can do it by connecting cords, that seem out of fashion and expensive. Most of the new fun stuff for enthusiasts like ourselves seems to be flash-activated remote control. That works when you don't have alot of other photographers with flashes around.

One sure way to get positive and powerful control is to use multiple Pocket Wizards, which are radio controllers for your flashes.

I found this blog entitled the Strobist does a good treatment of the subject: Strobist: Lighting 101

Thomas, I am giving an answewr 'out of left field' and suggesting you try available light instead, for two reasons.

1. Leicas are best at that.

2. New babies don't like flash.

3. (O.K. - I know I said 2!) Too much gear to control will detract seriously from your creativity and 'focussing' on the subject, which is NOT easy with babies.

If you insist on trying flash, make sure it is bounced if possible. (a) for softness. (B) for comfort for the baby. Using the flash on 'auto' (thyristor control) is every bit as good as TTL in practice. A second unit set on 'auto' @ f8, say on a tripod 45Deg "off axis" while the main unit on camera is set @ f5.6 either 'auto' or 'TTL', will usually give a good balance of side light effect. You DO NEED to experiment to establish a balance between the two flashes.

From the above, you will realize the benefit of available light shooting. You can concentrate on the subject, not the gear.

Shoot heaps, frequently! You never get a second chance with growing children.

Cheers,

Erl

Hi Thanks for all the advice. Looked at the blog left and its good for info.I will certainly be shooting through softeners so no problem with flash for baby. I think I'll still do this as the light inside is not good enough in the UK for the film I'm using 100 asa and I don't want to use anything faster. This will take me some time to set up as I hope to use flash guns such as 40MZ3i which seem a reasonable price 2nd hand for this work.Once I have some results I'll post a note.

Thanks TomR