Sensor Cleaning

jimbo953

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another YouTube method that I recommend and use. It is on a Nikon D3 but the principle is the same and at the end includes the cautions I've been referring to. You don't need the brush that the guy rubs his finger oils on to for the mirror but the blower is the same one I use.

YouTube - Proper Sensor Cleaning Detailed Tutorial

i had some gunk on my sensor and emailed leica, they told me to use nothing more than a hand operated air blower (the type you squeeze).

it worked fine for me.

if it didnt work i would have taken it to Calumet.

thanks

ps - they recomended to go against brushes and such.

If you email Leica they will always take the safe route and tell you to use air and nothing else. I know for sure that Leica UK use IPA and a lint free swab to clean sensors, and if you specifically ask that is what they will tell you. Air first to remove dust and any grit and then wet clean if there is oliy residue on the AA filter.

I called for advice about whether E2 was safe to use and, after being asked if I had experience of cleaning sensors (to which I replied yes and gave some background) I then had a detailed conversation about different cleaning fluids.

Unless you speak to Leica in person and they can tell that you know what you are doing, they will always recommend air only.

To address the point about not using liquids to clean the sensor, here is one of the Nikon videos (that are sold with the Japanese Only "Nikon Professional Cleaning Kit") showing how to clean the sensor (using liquid no less):

YouTube - Nikon Sensor Cleaning Video P10

So, it is safe to clean your sensor as long as you know what you are doing as as long as you follow the best practice and/or manufacturer guidance that is widely available. 120-300 USD for a clean - yeah right!

Simon

Good grief! The second cleaning video at this site shows someone pushing the nose of a rocket blower into the camera until it's within a millimeter or two of the sensor filter. Then it shows someone flipping a brush with his fingers and then brushing the sensor filter with the newly oiled brush. No spinning to charge the brush -- just brushing on and outside the sensor where the oil is. I hope no one who watches that video is stupid enough to do what it recommends.