Sensor Cleaning

jimbo953

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your advise - did the E2 thing today and seems to have worked wonders. Not sure why the sensor was so dirty, the camera always has a lens on and is treated better than my wife. Apart from keeping it a sealed plastic bag not sure what else I can do.....keep cleaning I suppose!

Cheers

Jim

i would not recommend a sealed plastic bag for your M8... This could contain the condensation from warm M8 used on a hot day taken inside and immediately sealed in a plastic bag and put into a dark cool place...

Edited by sfokevin

i would not recommend a sealed plastic bag for your M8... This could contain the condensation from warm M8 used on a hot day taken inside and immediately sealed in a plastic bag and put into a dark cool place...
The M8 is like a corpse it does not like being stored in a confined space:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with this advice but... if you want to play it really safe then you might as well let Leica change your lenses, or wipe your LCD, or clean your windows. If there is a menu option to clean the sensor then you can assume the average person should be able to do it.

I've seen too many people screw up their sensors Marty thinking they know what their doing. Some M8's, when new, (don't know about the M8.2) threw globs of lubricant from the shutter mechanism onto the sensor. This stuff was really hard to get off and requires a liquid cleaner and someone who knows what they're doing. Your sarcasm about lens changing and the rest is uncalled for when someone else is seeking advice.

i had some gunk on my sensor and emailed leica, they told me to use nothing more than a hand operated air blower (the type you squeeze).

it worked fine for me.

if it didnt work i would have taken it to Calumet.

thanks

ps - they recomended to go against brushes and such.

I've seen too many people screw up their sensors Marty thinking they know what their doing. Some M8's, when new, (don't know about the M8.2) threw globs of lubricant from the shutter mechanism onto the sensor. This stuff was really hard to get off and requires a liquid cleaner and someone who knows what they're doing. Your sarcasm about lens changing and the rest is uncalled for when someone else is seeking advice.

I've been on several forums for a long time, and I think I can remember only one single case of a sensor being screwed up by cleaning. IIRC the poster applied extreme pressure and the cover glass cracked. He was rather upbeat about it, as he freely admitted his fault.

There are two potential pitfalls, each very easy to avoid.

1. Dragging a small grain of sand across the sensor might scratch (never heard of it actually happening, but still). Prevention: blow out grit with the Rocket Blower first and never reuse swabs. Just straight from the packet end one time.

2. Drowning the sensor in too much fluid will give spots. Prevention: use the swabs as in the instructions. Just two drops on a swab is plenty. Don't go completely dry either.

Imo, unless one is handicapped in the motor function of the hands, the chance of doing permanent damage to the sensor is close to nil. I certainly prefer to do it myself than to give it to some commercial service. I am convinced they employ the same people that used to scratch, sand, and generally muck up my film when developing.

I've been on several forums for a long time, and I think I can remember only one single case of a sensor being screwed up by cleaning. IIRC the poster applied extreme pressure and the cover glass cracked. He was rather upbeat about it, as he freely admitted his fault.

There are two potential pitfalls, each very easy to avoid.

1. Dragging a small grain of sand across the sensor might scratch (never heard of it actually happening, but still). Prevention: blow out grit with the Rocket Blower first and never reuse swabs. Just straight from the packet end one time.

2. Drowning the sensor in too much fluid will give spots. Prevention: use the swabs as in the instructions. Just two drops on a swab is plenty. Don't go completely dry either.

Imo, unless one is handicapped in the motor function of the hands, the chance of doing permanent damage to the sensor is close to nil. I certainly prefer to do it myself than to give it to some commercial service. I am convinced they employ the same people that used to scratch, sand, and generally muck up my film when developing.

The intent of my answer to the original question about sensor cleaning seems to have been blown way out of proportion here. There are several ways and means to clean a sensor and sending your Leica in to Leica to have it cleaned is one way. That was my answer to the question of sensor cleaning if one doesn't feel qualified to do it. No more no less and no reason for forum members to get bitchy or dissect it ad-nauseum.

I'm not dissing you, as the term seems to be nowadays ;) It is just that it does not seem to be a very smart move to consider this a service action to be farmed out. What is a photographer going to do if his sensor turns out to be really dirty - and he has an assignment in some third world country with not a technician within 1000 miles?. Or on a public holiday?. A stressful situation is not a good learning environment. This is clearly a skill that is basic in digital photography.

I'm not dissing you, as the term seems to be nowadays ;) It is just that it does not seem to be a very smart move to consider this a service action to be farmed out. What is a photographer going to do if his sensor turns out to be really dirty - and he has an assignment in some third world country with not a technician within 1000 miles?. Or on a public holiday?. A stressful situation is not a good learning environment. This is clearly a skill that is basic in digital photography.

I wasn't taking your comment as dissing jaapv but here's another take on this. I just concluded 16 years of retail photography sales which included taking in camera repairs and doing minor cleaning and problem solving. Based on experience (I didn't keep a numerical record of this) 90% of most customer complaints about their equipment are in fact due to operator error, about 5% are due to the customer damaging their camera and about 5% are actually due to manufacturers defects. You and Marty imply that a person who can't clean their own sensor must have some physical problem and you base your knowledge on forums, but how many people who screw up a sensor cleaning are actually going to admit it publicly? I've dealt with photographers, many of them professionals, who will not attempt a sensor cleaning and received feedback about sensor cleaning experiences with the various methods on the market that are available. Even competent people make mistakes and I've heard all the horror stories of residue, spots, scratches and etc. to know that. Since I doubt the person who posted this thread is huddling in a third world country they have several choices available. Taking your advice (and the advice of everyone who recommended they clean it themselves) they can run the risk of damaging the sensor and then who's fault is it? Will you or anyone else here who recommended self cleaning stand behind your recommendation and repair or replace the sensor if the 90% OE or even the 5% customer inflicted damage happens? If this person sends it in to Leica , or a qualified Leica technician who stands behind their work, then the individual has a guarantee to fall back on. Personally, after all I've heard about the various cleaners, I use a Hurricane blower and the only other device I may get is the Arctic Butterfly, otherwise it goes to a pro to get cleaned. It's my two cents worth and certainly the poster has free will and can select the method they feel most comfortable with.:D

I've been on several forums for a long time, and I think I can remember only one single case of a sensor being screwed up by cleaning.

I've been on Canon and Leica forums for a long, long time. I can't remember any case of a sensor being screwed up by cleaning.

The first time I cleaned one of my DSLRs it scared the c#@p out of me. It's not so scary now. I just use the proper tools and some common sense.

. Taking your advice (and the advice of everyone who recommended they clean it themselves) they can run the risk of damaging the sensor and then who's fault is it? Will you or anyone else here who recommended self cleaning stand behind your recommendation and repair or replace the sensor if the 90% OE or even the 5% customer inflicted damage happens?

That is a spoof argument. If you as a dealer sold somebody a lens cloth did you replace his lens if he scratched it up? Come to think of it, anybody taking in his lens to have it cleaned professionally because he was afraid to do so himself would be regarded rather strangely. And replacing for instancea front element on the Leica R Modul is considerably more expensive than a Leica M8 sensor....No, I think " professional sensor cleaning" is a bit of a way to drum up business.

Since I doubt the person who posted this thread is huddling in a third world country they have several choices available.

So people who see sensor cleaning as a professional job will not take their camera further afield than Coney Island?

Hey offshore, you are right that in some cases (and for some people) a call to Leica may be the appropriate option. However, the way your first post was phrased it sounded like the average user should give his dirty sensor M8 to Leica. Had you explained when you believe Leica service is required, I am sure most people would have agreed.

But I second Jaap's point that for 99% of the contamination cases and 99% of the users (amateurs included) you can do it yourself. Saves not only money but time too.

That is a spoof argument. If you as a dealer sold somebody a lens cloth did you replace his lens if he scratched it up? Come to think of it, anybody taking in his lens to have it cleaned professionally because he was afraid to do so himself would be regarded rather strangely. And replacing for instancea front element on the Leica R Modul is considerably more expensive than a Leica M8 sensor....No, I think " professional sensor cleaning" is a bit of a way to drum up business.

So people who see sensor cleaning as a professional job will not take their camera further afield than Coney Island?

Ok jaapv I'll let you have the last word so you feel better about yourself.

Hey offshore, you are right that in some cases (and for some people) a call to Leica may be the appropriate option. However, the way your first post was phrased it sounded like the average user should give his dirty sensor M8 to Leica. Had you explained when you believe Leica service is required, I am sure most people would have agreed.

But I second Jaap's point that for 99% of the contamination cases and 99% of the users (amateurs included) you can do it yourself. Saves not only money but time too.

Hey guidomo maybe you can spell check my posts for me as well as recommend how I word them. Why don't you people stop being so anal about this IT WAS A FRACKING SUGGESTION FOR SENSOR CLEANING JUST LIKE ALL THE REST, THE GUY IS GONNA DO WHAT HE THINKS IS BEST!!!

If you have never done this it is most intimidating... Me included... Take a look at this YouTube vid to ease your fears... This guy does it out of the back of his SUV!..

He cleans his sensor but doesn't bother to clean the rear of his lens before putting it back on. Duh, maybe that's why his swab came back with so much crud on it. :rolleyes:

Pete.

He cleans his sensor but doesn't bother to clean the rear of his lens before putting it back on. Duh, maybe that's why his swab came back with so much crud on it. :rolleyes:

Pete.

Exactly! And did you see that he stuffed the camera into his bag with the shutter open, and did the same with his lens with no sign of a rear cap. All of that in the open back of his truck in a dusty car-park. Waaaah!:eek: