Sensor Cleaning

jimbo953

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did a few landscape pictures last weekend and realised my sensor is due for a clean - really showed up on the beautiful blue skies. Has anybody got any tips or recommended products to use? I have in the past used Jessops' swabs and cleaning fluid on my old DSLR but it was not as expensive as my M8!!

Thanks Jim

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using swabs and cleaning fluid once in a while, say when it needs it.

Doing it gently and carefully gives no problems. I usually do it when cloning out small dirts from the pics becomes longer than post processing... :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Need to be sure what's on the sensor, dust or lubricant, or both.

First time I cleaned sensor the M8 with my Artic Butterfly I covered it in oil. When I used it on other sensors the oil transferred. Had to buy a replacement brush. :(

Shy

Need to be sure what's on the sensor, dust or lubricant, or both.

First time I cleaned sensor the M8 with my Artic Butterfly I covered it in oil. When I used it on other sensors the oil transferred. Had to buy a replacement brush. :(

Shy

I had a similar occurrence... I keep an air rocket for the first try at dust - then the wet swab - which is actually easy once you get over the fear of entry...

Edited by sfokevin

I posted a thread the same as this a couple of months ago, following the advise I received I ended up with,

Eclipse E2 and swabs for the removal of smears, Arctic Butterfly and a blower for the removal of dust, and a sensor loupe to see what I was doing.

I was very nervous about cleaning the sensor because I have read so many horror stories,

however everything worked out fine and I feel more confident in cleaning the sensor but not over confident.

I can recommend the products I bought and although not cheap I think they will prove to be worthwhile, I am anticipating that the thing I will need to do now is just keep the dust at bay.

Good luck in your quest for the right product, at the end of the day it probably amounts to what you feel comfortable in using.

Pat

I did a few landscape pictures last weekend and realised my sensor is due for a clean - really showed up on the beautiful blue skies. Has anybody got any tips or recommended products to use? I have in the past used Jessops' swabs and cleaning fluid on my old DSLR but it was not as expensive as my M8!!

Thanks Jim

Unless you know what your doing let Leica do it.

I keep a cleaning kit in my travel bag that consists of a air rocket and a bottle of the Eclipse E2 and Sensor Swabs. I use a small electronics vacuum to suck up any dust and debris when I'm at home before cleaning the sensor.

Be careful when traveling to remember that little bottle of E2 in your carryon... Homeland Security looked very dimly upon finding a high flammable (Marked in HUGE red letters) at the bottom of my camera bag... :eek:

Thanks Jim

Jim, Point your browser at The Methods - Cleaning Digital Cameras - Sensor Cleaning..

Robert White sells a Green Clean kit which comprises a small vacuum cleaner (aerosol can powered!) and sealed packs of wet and dry swabs. Don't waste your money on this kit as the pump part is ineffective. I do however like the wet/dry pads which are available separately. (Green Clean for UK purchasers is much less expensive at Warehouse Express.) In the UK E2 can also be bought from Warehouse Express although I believe delivery is via carrier as postal service will not accept this product.

Unless you know what your doing let Leica do it.

Nothing wrong with this advice but... if you want to play it really safe then you might as well let Leica change your lenses, or wipe your LCD, or clean your windows. If there is a menu option to clean the sensor then you can assume the average person should be able to do it.

Be careful when traveling to remember that little bottle of E2 in your carryon... Homeland Security looked very dimly upon finding a high flammable (Marked in HUGE red letters) at the bottom of my camera bag... :eek:

The way to carry it is in your toiletries bag, next to your, just as flammable, after-shave....

Thanks for all your advise - did the E2 thing today and seems to have worked wonders. Not sure why the sensor was so dirty, the camera always has a lens on and is treated better than my wife. Apart from keeping it a sealed plastic bag not sure what else I can do.....keep cleaning I suppose!

Cheers

Jim

the camera always has a lens on and is treated better than my wife. Apart from keeping it a sealed plastic bag not sure what else I can do.....

I'm hoping that you don't keep your wife in a sealed plastc bag? :D:eek::D