Leica Owners Area

erlingmm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Excuse me if this is old news, but I just discovered the Owners Area at the Leica Web site:

https://owners.leica-camera.com/en/login

After registering yourself and your products (need serial # AND purchase date), you get direct links to product and service information for each product. I assume they will keep me updated on relevant info for each product.

You also get certain benefits, I assume it is depending on how many Leica products you register. I got an extension of warranty to 3 years on my D-lux4, AND a free UV/IR filter for an M lens, sent directly home, no shipping/VAT cost!

Edited by erlingmm

Neat. I was able to register all my goodies, except my M8, whose serial number is already in their system. I think that I might somehow have an existing account there, perhaps due to the 2 IR filters offered to early owners... I have sent an email requesting clarification. Oh, and my '39 Elmar isn't on their list. It is screw-mount, of course, and I guess they don't go that far back.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Neat. I was able to register all my goodies, except my M8, whose serial number is already in their system. I think that I might somehow have an existing account there, perhaps due to the 2 IR filters offered to early owners... I have sent an email requesting clarification.

Maybe the M8 serial # is locked to the original e-mail address ?

When I registered, I first tried to give my e-mail address and clicked "password forgotten?". My e-mail address was then recognized, probably from registering for the 2 UV/IR-filters with the M8, I then got an e-mail with a link to quick registration and had no problem registering all equipment including the M8.

Nice service. A couple of glitches perhaps - where is LTM Cron 50 collapsible and how does one delete an item? (I accidently registered a lens twice by being impatient and punched submit twice.)

Alan

The Delete function is there. In the list of registered products Click on Details. Right under the picture of the product on the right side there are buttons for Edit and Delete.

Thanks for providing the link. I registered my "new to me" M8 this morning, (as well as my DL4.), and was surprised that the M8 serial number was accepted. It didn't say "already registered". A quick email to Leica followed asking if there were any benefits from registering a "new/used" M8. Probably won't amount to much but worth a quick email.

The DL4 gave me a certificate offering a 3rd year of warranty for free. Very cool.

. . . Burkey

It is nice in that you then on the one hand know that no one else has tried to register the camera, and that there is no outstanding theft on your equipment (with Leica at least), and on the other hand that if anything ever gets stolen, and someone tries to register it, that there is a lead on the thief.

There is no Super Elmar 18mm either...

I noticed that too, and the SF 58 is not listed either. I sent Leica an e-mail about it but have not received a reply yet. I wonder how long it usually takes them to add new products.

Rocky

Edited by RockyIII

I contacted Nikon US about the Super-Elmar-M 18mm lens and the SF 58 flash not being listed, and I received a prompt reply saying that the website is administered by Leica in Germany. They gave me the contact information, and I sent an e-mail almost a week ago. So far I have not had a reply, and the website has not been updated.

Rocky

I wouldn't hold your breath. The owners' area was down for several days last year having originally been taken down just for the weekend to undertake "maintenance". When it did eventually return after being unavailable for around ten days, it was not working properly and messed up my free UV/IR filter order. Leica was not very responsive about that, either. Fortunately for us, the people who maintain their website don't appear to be the same as those who design their lenses. ;)