Flash and the D2.... FZ30?

elansprint72

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone using a BIG flashgun on their D2 or FZ30? I could do with some advice on what works well. Currently I have the "Leica" SF24D which came with the D2 but I don't really regard this as man enough for the job.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the old Metz Hammerhead but I'm not sure how the synch would work with modern digicams which don't have the socket.

Any advice? :)

Pete,

A Wein safe sync gizmo goes in the hot shoe, has a PC socket and keeps the old flash gun from frying your camara's circutry. Wein Safe-Sync HSHS Hot Shoe Voltage Regulator - CALUMET You will not get flash control from the D2, but the flash's auto mode should work.

Personally I use a Metz 44MZ2 with an SCA3502 Mod 4 adapter when the internal flash or the SF24D isn't enough.

- Carl

Carl,

Thanks- does one need both the Wein gizmo and the SCA 3502 gizmo or is the Wein just for "older" flashguns?

Am I correct in assuming that with the SCA then the Metz gun would be fully controlled by the D2, i.e. not simply in manual mode?

I'm watching a Metz 45 CT5 gun om eBay, which looks to be suitable for the D2 using the SCA adapter.

i have a panasonic LC-1 which as you know is very similar

the manual states the following

Leica SF 24D : TTL, Auto-GNC

Leica SF-20 : AUTO

Metz 54MZ-3 : AUTO

Metz 44MZ-2 : AUTO

Metz 70MZ-5 : AUTO

(all Metz need the SCA 3502 adapter)

Now if you look at the hotshoe on LC-1, it clearly has a similar footprint as the Olympus TTL flashes. for comparison an Olympus FL-36 flash shoe fitting is shown. However the flash will only work in manual or auto mode. Even in auto mode, it does not recognise what iso or aperture the camera is set at.

Riley

Carl,

Thanks- does one need both the Wein gizmo and the SCA 3502 gizmo or is the Wein just for "older" flashguns?

Am I correct in assuming that with the SCA then the Metz gun would be fully controlled by the D2, i.e. not simply in manual mode?

I'm watching a Metz 45 CT5 gun om eBay, which looks to be suitable for the D2 using the SCA adapter.

The Wein adapter is for older guns that have high trigger voltages. I can't say about the 45CT5 for sure, allthough from the shots of it I see on the bay it isn't part of the SCA system and as such can't be controlled by the D2. (Metz dosen't list it on their site either). In this case you'll need the Wein gizmo to be safe and get a PC plug.

- Carl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can no longer find the web site with the voltage listings of different flash units, but I use an HSHS shoe with my Vivitar 283's on my digital cameras. My M4 and M6 can take anything, of course.

You can find HSHS adapters for about $55 on the web. I carry a pair with me whenever I do flash stuff.

I also have a Metz 54 with the 3502 shoe. This does NOT need an HSHS shoe to protect the camera. With the D2, it knows the focal length of the zoom. I put it on auto and set the D2 to 1/250 and shoot away. the Metz knows when there is enough lilght and shuts down the light.

Pete,

I don't think you can go wrong with the Metz.

Like Bill above, I have the D2 and use a Metz 54-3, with the Mod 4 adaptor. No doubt the last flash I'll ever buy. Set the flash to auto and bang away. The 'reach' on the Metz has to be seen to be beleived, and the exposure is always bug on. On the negative side, it is big but not that unwieldy in use.

The SF24D also is not a bad flash (BTW also made by Metz), but doesnt have bounce capability.

For short distance interiors, the D2s internal flash is surprisingly capable.

Best,

Jerry

Anyone using a BIG flashgun on their D2 or FZ30? I could do with some advice on what works well. Currently I have the "Leica" SF24D which came with the D2 but I don't really regard this as man enough for the job.

Sorry, you also asked about power. That's the main reason I bot the Metz. I use it with the Quantum Turbo 2x2 battery and don't have a worry about light. This rig costs about $1k, but over x years that's not much and it really does the job.

What a great community this is! Thanks for all the advice, guys.

I've now found another Metz 45 on eBay where the seller says that it will work in dedicated mode with Leica (and others) and in fact comes with an SCA adaptor for Nikon, so I guess I'll bid on that and purchase an SCA for the D2.

Thanks again,

What a great community this is! Thanks for all the advice, guys.

I've now found another Metz 45 on eBay where the seller says that it will work in dedicated mode with Leica (and others) and in fact comes with an SCA adaptor for Nikon, so I guess I'll bid on that and purchase an SCA for the D2.

Thanks again,

Pete, I believe you will be looking for the SCA 3502 mod 4 for all Leica's.