my M8 is home again

Nicoleica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M8 has returned from it's holiday in Solms today. The Imp has been retrained so as not to try and imitate Jackson Pollock with luminous green paint. The rangefinder has been re-aligned, and everything is now tickety-boo. As soon as I've been able to get rid of the L999 folder, I shall give the Imp a healthy meal of Mr Dibblers finest (Or even a freshly charged battery.) and get out in the sunshine to make some photographs. Woo Hoo! I am one happy old bat today. :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nicole,

Very glad to hear that your imp-carrier has returned! It seems to have made friends with the new 24 Elmar too. Are they getting along well?

If you need the process for getting back to the L10x... folder just ask and it shall be posted. :)

Pete.

Thanks everyone. It had been sorely missed during it's month long vacation. :D

Pete, thanks ever so much for the offer, but I was able to find Shootist's instructions in a forum search, and following those did the trick. I've saved them on my computer as '999 Be-Gone' in case I need them again.

Yes, my Imp is viewing the world through the 24 Elmar. I think it's a lovely lens. It's very compact, and the image quality seems great. Hopefully the weather will co-operate with my plans, and I'll be able to give it some real exercise tomorrow. :cool:

Nicole, was this just a trip to fix the camera, or did you have some upgrades done as well?

Hi Mark,

It was just a repair visit. My M8 had the glowing green dots and rangefinder alignment issues straight out of the box. Leica were very good, as they did advise me that it would be delayed in it's return due to their annual stocktaking (1 week closure), and also the two short weeks caused by Easter. they've done a nice job with the repairs too. Everything now works just as it should do.

I've just been reviewing the test shots I took in the camera shop when I collected my camera today. (I wanted to be sure that the glowing dots were gone.) The new Elmar 24 is a cracking lens. there seems to be hardly any distortion or vignetting, and the image quality is great. I'm really pleased that I bought it. :)

Happy to see you've got it back again :) Are you going to show it off at the meet in Den Haag?

Hi Jaap,

Thanks. :) If you think that everyone else can stand the prospect of a strange English speaking old bat at the meet, then my M8 and I shall be there. :)

Hi Mark,

It was just a repair visit. My M8 had the glowing green dots and rangefinder alignment issues straight out of the box. Leica were very good, as they did advise me that it would be delayed in it's return due to their annual stocktaking (1 week closure), and also the two short weeks caused by Easter. they've done a nice job with the repairs too. Everything now works just as it should do.

I've just been reviewing the test shots I took in the camera shop when I collected my camera today. (I wanted to be sure that the glowing dots were gone.) The new Elmar 24 is a cracking lens. there seems to be hardly any distortion or vignetting, and the image quality is great. I'm really pleased that I bought it. :)

The Elmar 24/3.8 is indeed a cracking lens. I have had mine for a few weeks now and I know that Sean Reid has some very good early impressions of the lens. It is scary sharp wide open and the edge performance only improves a small amount from stopping down as it is already very good at f/3.8.

I look forward to seeing some pictures from your 24/3.8 :-)

Simon

Hi Mark,

The Elmar 24/3.8 is indeed a cracking lens. I have had mine for a few weeks now and I know that Sean Reid has some very good early impressions of the lens. It is scary sharp wide open and the edge performance only improves a small amount from stopping down as it is already very good at f/3.8.

I look forward to seeing some pictures from your 24/3.8 icon7.gif

Simon

Hi Mark,

Nicole,

Which is the cost of these services ?

Regards

Henry

For that price, they will not have replaced the sensor, instead put it through the process they all go through where the camera is taught where the bad pixels are. The Kodak specification makes sobering reading. A sensor is within spec if it has:

- less than 2,500 bad pixels

- less than 30 clusters of up to 10 adjacent bad pixels

- less than 10 bad or dead or saturated columns

"Bad" in this context includes pixels which work but are lighter or darker than their neighbours. Although that sounds a lot, it's very small in percentage terms of course and the limits are set so as to not be visible in the captured image.

The strategy of masking them out relies on "once a good pixel, always a good pixel" so that once the sensor is cleared of defects, that's it, it's not going to deteriorate with time. If if did, we would need some sort of function to do it ourselves - which is exactly what Epson provided in the R-D1s (and firmware upgrade of the R-D1) - I'm not aware of such a function being provided in other cameras.

Even so, it's not especially good that the camera was bad out of the box.

[it would be interesting (for me at least) to know what temperature Leica run this procedure at since leakage and other nasties will increase with temperature. The Kodak spec mentions > 20C. You can just imagine the forum discussions if Leica did make this procedure available, we'd have polls along the lines of "what temperature do you use?" - it would be a geeks paradise.

Leica most likely use the USB connection on the completed camera to read out sensor data under a series of defined exposures into a light box, use a PC to analyse this rawest of raw data from the sensor and return a table of defects to the camera which is stored in flash memory and used by the DSP after it has read the data out of the sensor to "heal" the image.

Does make me wonder where this process broke down in Nicole's case. Was it time for lunch when her camera was being worked on, did the camera forget what it was taught or is the sensor getting worse over time? I'm sure you'll keep an eye on it, Nicole, that's what the warranty is for.]

Edited by marknorton

For that price, they will not have replaced the sensor, instead put it through the process they all go through where the camera is taught where the bad pixels are. .]

Hi Mark,

Yes, that's what I thought too. Hence my stating that the Imp had been retrained instead of replaced. ;) The paperwork is a little vague as to what was done to the sensor, and only states 'CCD Pixel fault'. It's rather more detailed regarding the other adjustments that were made. Still, as you say, I shall be keeping an eye on it. But at the moment, I'm 100% happy with my camera, and with Leica customer services for the the prompt and helpful way that they have handled this whole process. This is the first time, in almost 40 years of using Leica products, that I have had to send an item in for repair, and it has been most refreshing to deal with a company that actually cares about their customers. They responded very quickly and courteously to my original email, and have kept me fully informed as to the progress throughout. :)