Sign in to follow this  
aaron.tam

Please help: Weird Negatives.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These two pictures were taken with my M2. They were taken with different lenses (CV 25/4 and Summicron 40) and were developed at different labs. My question is: just what is that dark stripe at the top? Those dark stripes are also quite obvious on the negatives. I don't know what the problem is, someone please help. Thanks.

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3368/3452226014_1799de3717.jpg&key=471e1ead6ec42f7a4ca0f3c0d7059749f680e26c5bf0ba88d6dadb611a64cd88">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3407/3451409899_1d8ddeec69.jpg&key=c30337af0c20436085c670f4c25504bd2e7c2794fe7c14cc60c49c89cb863ff6">

Seems like a problem with the shutter. The blinds are not travelling evenly. It's probably in need of a Clean Lubricate Adjust. Unless it has just been done, properly.

Seems like a problem with the shutter. The blinds are not travelling evenly.

I don't think so. In the M2 the shutter travels along the long axis of the image.

Let's list what we know about the problem

- All pictures exhibit what appears to be a dark strip

- the strip is clearly delimited and of constant width

- the width of the strip is roughly one twentieth the width of the image, i.e. on the order of 1 mm on the negative.

- the strip is produced on the bottom side of the camera

I can not really tell if the problem lies in a dark strip.

I could very well imagine that the remaining nineteen twentieth of the image are brighter on account of some stray light entering the camera. I also seem to observe that there is a gradient running from the bottom of the image (darker) to the top of of the image, up to the darker strip (where the image appears to be brightest).

As far as I can see, there is quite some haze across all of the picture.

Sending the camera to a workshop seems to be a good idea.

On my screen the dark portion at top is correct and close to the exposure at the very bottom of frame, and then you have a double burn fading downwards which is effecting the print. I would jsut send the camera off with prints, negs, and an explanation of the circumstances you made the frames and and let whoever sevices determine where the light leak is.

Bimey, of course the shutter is travelling horizontally in a Leica! You guys are probably right: stray light coming from a leak somewhere, maybe from some straight horizontal slit on the bottom side of the camera.

The camera is quite useless until it's patched. I have had some light seals replaced in some swing-open SLRs and it hasn't been very expensive. It takes a little while to scratch the old foam rubbers (or whatever) and precisely cutting the new ones, though, so it's not the fastest job, if not the most tool-demanding.

I haven't had light leaking problems with a Leica, though, so I wouldn't know where they normally appear. One guess would be the bottom plate, but is there any foam rubber there? Or can it only be bent in order to leak light? What about the back "door" then? Maybe the bayonet can also leak, but could the leak be straight then? Maybe if it's "filtered" through the shutter.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ashley12234
      Hey everyone, 
      I just got my m2 off ebay and had a look through the viewfinder only to see 2 main very noticeable spots. I attached a picture and the one on the lower left looks much dimmer and looks like a dot and a hair almost? It's kind of light greyish and I think it's a particle or dust but I'm not quite sure. However, in the middle the speck seems much darker (basically black) and more prominent. Could this be separation or is it another speckle of dust (imo it doesn't seem like one). If this has happened to you or you know what it is, any input on how to fix or your thoughts would would be greatly appreciated! 
      Also the shutter curtain on the front seems a little pushed forward and I can see the whole seam on it, is that normal? The curtain works 100% fine but I'm not sure if Im supposed to see the whole seam and overlap of the two curtains. On the back it stays slightly open by 1mm or so (didn't include a pic sorry)... should it cause a light leak? The camera was also recently CLA'd.
      Lastly, the viewfinder has some "gold specks" which I think is separation, but I hope i'm wrong.  
      Please help if you can clarify, recommend a fix, or give any thoughts on ^^. Overall the camera seems amazing and none of the things I mentioned has really bothered me, but if I can learn more about them then it would be great.
      Thanks in advance, 
      Ashley

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By max.mlzr
      Hallo,
      ich bin gerade dabei mir für einen längeren Auslandsaufenthalt in Neuseeland eine Leica M zuzulegen, der Body wird wahrscheinlich eine M2 (ca. 500€) von Meiers Fotobörse, da ich mir die dort noch leisten kann (bin noch Schüler).
      Mir fehlt dann nur noch ein Objektiv, am Besten ein 50mm oder ein 35mm Objektiv. Auch hier ist mein Budget eher niedrig (~300€ +-), daher hatte ich an ein 7Artisans 35mm f/2 (nichts für Puristen), ein Voigtländer Color Skopar 35mm f/2,5 (ein bisschen über dem Budget), Summicron 40mm f/2 (passt gerade so mit den Framelines) oder sogar ein Jupiter 8 50mm f/2 mit Adapter gedacht (damit hatte ich schlechte Erfahrungen bisher).
      Welche Linse bietet sich da am Besten an? Habt ihr noch andere Vorschläge? Ich bin kein Purist, also ist mir die Marke egal.
      Ist es vielleicht sogar am Besten, wenn ich nur bei 40mm bleibe, mir eine Leica CL trotz der geringen Messucherbasis zuzulegen?
      Oder macht das überhaupt gar keinen Sinn hier bei einem solchen Budget zu investieren?

Danke für eure Hilfe!

P.S. Ich habe zwar bereits eine Fm2n, die will ich verkaufen, da mir die Ergonomie und der Stil einer Leica besser gefällt und diese kompakter ist? Ich hatte sogar schon an eine Pen FT gedacht, da sie vom Design her einer Leica ebenbürtig ist und ich die kreativen Möglichkeiten sowie die 72 Bilder pro Film sehr ansprechen finde, anderseits ist Halbformat eben sehr klein..
    • By leic.a.nik
      Moin zusammen,

ich habe seit ca. 4 Wochen das Problem, dass meine M2 manchmal den Film beim Spannen nicht richtig transportiert. 
      Die Bilder überlappen sich dann. Man merkt es beim Spannen, der Spannhebel springt dann.
      Der Fehler tritt meistens auf wenn der Zähler bereits bei 20 -25 Bildern steht. Ich habe das Gefühl, dass der Film zwischendurch die Spannung verliert oder über die Zähne rutscht. 
      Ist jemanden so etwas schon mal passiert oder kennt sogar jemand die Lösung?
      Im Moment elf ich mir in dem ich ein Bild mit Objektivdeckel mache wenn ich merke dass der Film nicht transportiert wurde. 
      Gerade bei teuren oder alten Schätzen verliere ich so meist 4-6 Bilder was ehrlich gesagt sehr schade ist.
      Gerade bei Filmen wie einen Fuji Superia Reala 100 oder Kodak Ektachrome 160t 

Die kleine ist mein Ein und alles. 
      Bitte helft mir. 

Mit freundlichen Grüßen 

Nik 

• By Stefflaurent
      Hello, actually on a trip in London , m’y m10 rangefinder suddenly stop coupling with my lenses.
      in fact, the little wheel wich get contact with the lens stays blocked on the infini. If I put it in thé right direction I can feel itsabnormaly hard to move.
      what happened ? CAN Ifix it by myself -? Is there a place in London where it could be fixed ?

thank you for your help 

• By ralle123
      Hallo,
      ich interessiere mich aktuell für das Nokton Classic 40mm f 1.4 Leica M.
      Welcher Sucherrahmen wird eingeblendet, wenn ich das Objektiv anschließe. 35 oder 50.

Ich danke vorab für das Interesse.

Gruß Ralf

-- 
      www.ralfhaun.de