dfarkas

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I get it that times are tough and Leica has every right to do whatever it takes to keep the cash flowing. That said it's a little saddening to see Kaufmann torpedo his great efforts at reestablishing Leica's image as a top professional brand, by engaging in the exact sort of thing that got Leica labeled as a toy for collectors, doctors and dentists. And this is just my own opinion, but aesthetically, that white M8...OMG, gag me with a spoon!

No comment on the body... personally I find it terrible for my taste... I'm only curios to see if the Elmarit 28 asph in silver is available ONLY with this set (previously, they said it was made ONLY for the Safari M8 set...:rolleyes:) ... is a lens I think of a lot... and the availability of a silver version could even make me decide... ;)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

by engaging in the exact sort of thing that got Leica labeled as a toy for collectors, doctors and dentists.

I am a doctor, and I have enjoyed Leicas for many years. As someone from a relatively humble working class background, my first camera was a Praktica which I used until I wore it out. As a medical student, I saved to buy a Nikon EM with a couple of E-series lenses, which I used for many years,

I now feel lucky to have worked hard (like many others) to attain an income level which allows me to buy and use any Leica equipment I fancy.

I have to say now, that I'll not be rushing to buy a white M8.

But is your ill-judged and rather patronising generalisation intended to imply that 'doctors and dentists' who buy Leicas are just dumb rich people incapable of using and really enjoying these fantastic cameras?

Jcraf,

My experience some what mirrors yours. I started with a used Exakta, traded it for a new Canon FX, and found that these cameras did not give me the robust reliability I wanted. I then bought a used M2 and later a used Nikon F; I still have both.

After a long career of engineering with a major corporation, I too can buy almost any piece of photographic equipment I want.

I also am not interested in collector additions. But if white Leicas get us to the M9 faster by generating cash slow, I'm all for others buying them.

While whiite usually isn't the right esthetic for a hard working tool, the world of Leica buyers includes collectors. So, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with creating special editions for collectors. Why not satisfy the market for rare and unusual products? I don't think it diminishes the image of the brand as there are plenty of standard black and chrome Leica camera bodies to satisfy professional photographers. And the white looks cool and special for those who want it. Apple has sold a lot of white laptops, so why not? :)

But is your ill-judged and rather patronising generalisation intended to imply that 'doctors and dentists' who buy Leicas are just dumb rich people incapable of using and really enjoying these fantastic cameras?

jcraf is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

I don't think that's what he is saying. Traditionally being a doctor or dentist is a profession that lets you afford expensive toys. Let's add lawyers to that list, and I really do know quite a few lawyers that shoot with Leicas. I would say that the Leica is definitely not the camera for a struggling student.

I also started out with a Praktika and always dreamed of owning a Leica. I got there via a Contax and I do get sucked into the beauty of some special editions. My personal soft spot is the M7 Titanium.

All stereotypes about Leica owners aside though, HCB wouldn't have been caught dead with that stupid Hannah Montana edition and I personally hope that thing tanks as much as all that Hermes crap. Come on Leica, let's get back to basics. The black paint and black dot were a nice aesthetic improvement but enough already with this stupidity. How about a digital CL?

I like the look of it, and if white had been a choice as well as black and chrome when I bought my M8 a couple of years ago I think I'd have gone for it. It has the advantages of looking even less like a pro DSLR and of not getting so hot in the sunshine.;)

Guest noah_addis
...HCB wouldn't have been caught dead with that stupid Hannah Montana edition...

Well done.

I just hope some of the cash from these silly collectors editions goes back into R&D for new products that are actually useful.

No comment on the body... personally I find it terrible for my taste...
Me too.

And for 7000€, they could give a pair of white glove with the camera.

I'm only curios to see if the Elmarit 28 asph in silver is available ONLY with this set (previously, they said it was made ONLY for the Safari M8 set...) ... is a lens I think of a lot... and the availability of a silver version could even make me decide...

Look Luigi, I just bought a brand new Summicron 35 Asph black paint for my MP.

This lens was made for the MP3 i guess. Maybe in some years this chrome Elmarit will be available too ? ;)

Guest Colt Seavers

I call it: Albino-M8 or Doctor´s M8

Maybe i would prefer a white dot with silver "Leica" font (or for saving developing costs the Titanium-dot or why not a fancy golden dot with Svarovksi-Leica font?).

Leica has a good chance to get back into the pro-market (private clinics).

Must be Leicas more expensive copy of this: eBay ZORKI 4K White body 35mm Leica copy Camera

I agree the white M8 should shift fast to plastic surgeons etc. the M8 medical.

When I was still a student Spectra Physics made two versions of the same Ar-ion laser. One was the research laser with a nice fake wood veneer (the one I used). For 2x the price a white "medical" version was available. As the photons no-doubt were the same color we found this markup quite remarkable.

Worth noting is that on the white M8 both chrome and black lenses should look equally acceptable (assuming you like the esthetics at all).

While whiite usually isn't the right esthetic for a hard working tool, the world of Leica buyers includes collectors. So, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with creating special editions for collectors. Why not satisfy the market for rare and unusual products? I don't think it diminishes the image of the brand as there are plenty of standard black and chrome Leica camera bodies to satisfy professional photographers. And the white looks cool and special for those who want it. Apple has sold a lot of white laptops, so why not? :)

True that Apple sells a lot of white iPods, iPhones, MacBooks, etc. Let's not forget about the generations of white iMacs, either. Seems to have worked for them, so far.

Everyone seems to assume that collectors are the only ones interested in these special editions. Of all the Safari Edition kits that we sold, not a single one went to a collector. In fact, each and every buyer was going to actually use the camera as a daily shooter and, interestingly enough, the Safari was their first Leica ever. So, perhaps special editions are a way to bring new people to Leica that may not have considered an M camera before.

I may not use a white M8, but somebody might.

David