Sign in to follow this  
dfarkas

M8 White Edition is real

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unfortunately I got rid of my white vinyl belt, white leather shoes and safari suit from the '70s. I can imagine John Travolta jiving with this baby.

Hmmm

As a fashion statement, it covers at least three areas:

1. The aforementioned disco/leisure suit. Imagine how elegant against pale lime polyester, with those shoes, the belt, and white shades.

2. Back to those doctors and dentists -- add the rest of the white lab coat crowd. I can even see it those settings for stock photos.

3. Arctic warriors. Commando rises out of the snow. Snap! Spark! Fizzle. Drat -- No weather sealing!!

And maybe a 4th...How good would it have looked drifting around weightless in 2001: A Space Odyssey?

"Dave? Your camera is drifting again." "Thanks, HAL."

Great news for the fashionistas :-).

Am I hearing that most of us are concerned about our image as Leica users when Leica employs silly schemes to raise revenue? I wonder if this is one way to keep prices high on their regular inventory? I can honestly say it doesn't make me excited about the Leica brand to hear of the White Leica. Next will be the Emerald Green edition with Gold lettering and a Purple dot... and don't forget the pretty wooden box it will come in...

Oh well, happy shooting.

Putting aside the intent of this camera and I don't care if someone buys it or not...

I don't like that so much camera gear is black. It is easy to drop a lens cap or accessory at night and lose it. I put bright yellow tape on every lens cap, hood, cable, and small accessory. All of those black accessories and lenses in a dark camera bag make it difficult to spot what you want. At least Leica gives a choice of chrome and black. But I've never understood why camera companies don't partially color code each lens - maybe with a different colored ring in the middle for each focal length combined with styling them so they look different enough to quickly tell apart.

If you have a new assistant who doesn't know your gear, it is easier and better to say "grab the lens with the blue ring on it" than to say I need the such and such. Only to see him reading the markings on every lens until he finds it.

Edited by AlanG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't like that so much camera gear is black. It is easy to drop a lens cap or accessory at night and lose it. I put bright yellow tape on every lens cap, hood, cable, and small accessory. All of those black accessories and lenses in a dark camera bag make it difficult to spot what you want. At least Leica gives a choice of chrome and black. But I've never understood why camera companies don't partially color code each lens - maybe with a different colored ring in the middle for each focal length combined with styling them so they look different enough to quickly tell apart.

i do like black, partially because i do a lot of reflection shots.... but i love your idea of yellow tape on the caps, etc. (though i would refrain from the hoods). probably not the most stylish, but who cares? easily finding things -- and not losing bits -- out whilst shooting is more important! i'll be off to the hardware store to see how many colours of electrical tape i can find, and make different colour starbursts for each lens cap (end and front) for quick recognition. i think i prefer that to any colour ring on the actual lens.... anyways, thanks for the idea!

Edited by coup de foudre

I think it's great. Leica M cameras are already a fashion statement as one can see on various fashion blogs and magazines. And a way for say a young celebrity girl to take photos while making a fashion statement.

Some might have considerations that anyone of wealth of fame can't possible at the same time posses the eye for photo. And that's a wrong idea.

I think the white is a more "people's camera" than a gold camera made for kings.

Maybe this was what Leica had in mind with a white Leica, fitting all the doctors, nurses and dentists

I got an official dealer memo yesterday from Leica stating that the M8 White Edition Set will start shipping at the end of June for a price of $8500. And, of course, we are now accepting pre-orders.

Leica M8 White Edition Set

There oughta be a law...