Sign in to follow this  
dfarkas

M8 White Edition is real

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting! Well that is real market data that supports the view that special editions are good for business and not silly.

Come on people the look of the M8 white edition is not bad at all ...whether you are a professional Photographer or a camera maker It's all about being different. In this industry we have to stick our necks high to be recognized. Leica is doing that by introducing special edition m8's , and there are people like me who like it, and might even buy one when its available.

I'm not a dentist or doctor,I am just a photographer who works hard to be able to afford the tools I need to do my job .

I think it does not look too bad, though I think it will loose when you put a black lens on.

And is it really "only" an M8 and not an 8.2?

It is really only an M8, not an M8.2. This isn't the first time that Leica made a special edition from the previous generation camera - they did quite a few M6 specials while the M6 TTL was available.

The white color is strangely appealing, but what color Luigi case would you put it in? Black comes to mind, but sort of defeats the white. Academic, since I wouldn't buy a plain M8.

Guest Colt Seavers

I´m really frustrated. Where are the white lenses for it? I would prefer a nice little set of 3 white lenses (Nocti, WATE, Lux35 asph.) and please make me a white flashgun for it!

Limited editions also enhance a product's image as a work of art. Not a bad strategy.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I´m really frustrated. Where are the white lenses for it? I would prefer a nice little set of 3 white lenses (Nocti, WATE, Lux35 asph.) and please make me a white flashgun for it!

Right on! I think they should all come in a white-anodized aluminum case and sell for $130,000.

I guess white is the new black.

I got an official dealer memo yesterday from Leica stating that the M8 White Edition Set will start shipping at the end of June for a price of $8500. And, of course, we are now accepting pre-orders.

Leica M8 White Edition Set

Thank God! I thought I'd dropped acid again and the white rabbit had turned into a white Leica.

Guest Xing
Everyone seems to assume that collectors are the only ones interested in these special editions. Of all the Safari Edition kits that we sold, not a single one went to a collector. In fact, each and every buyer was going to actually use the camera as a daily shooter

ROFLOL! Sure they were.

I wonder how many guys while paying $8K for a camera, tell the store clerk "I'm taking this puppy home and putting it right in a glass case".

Guest Colt Seavers

It comes along with a special edition of LFI full of white pages, so one can print own pictures in it:D

ROFLOL! Sure they were. I wonder how many guys while paying $8K for a camera, tell the store clerk "I'm taking this puppy home and putting it right in a glass case".

Collectors do. For instance, we sold the special edition Noctilux (last 100) to a collector. He said proudly that he would add it to his collection.... and continue to shoot his M8.2 and 50 Lux ASPH as his regular camera kit. He happens to be an excellent photographer and just had a gallery show that sold out. Collecting and shooting are not mutually exclusive.

I know that my Safari Edition customers were not collectors because I make it a habit to talk to my customers and get to know them. They were indeed new to Leica and the Safari seemed like a good entry into the system.

David

Guest Xing
Collectors do. For instance, we sold the special edition Noctilux (last 100) to a collector. He said proudly that he would add it to his collection.... and continue to shoot his M8.2 and 50 Lux ASPH as his regular camera kit. He happens to be an excellent photographer and just had a gallery show that sold out. Collecting and shooting are not mutually exclusive.

They sure are if you believe what you read on fora. Popular [mis]conception is Collector=supercilious dilettante/poseur who keeps his cameras/lenses ensconced in glass cases and has to RTFM to remember which end of a camera to point at the subject and what button to press.

I know that my Safari Edition customers were not collectors because I make it a habit to talk to my customers and get to know them.

And people never lie to a shop clerk (or a date, or their boss, or their doctor....

)

You guys really should cut the collectors some slack, at least you know that they've paid and most the money goes to Leica so they can continue to do stuff YOU like.

Whatever you do don't read a newspaper and then pick this puppy up! This one's for OCD hand washers only....

Not a problem, cover it in black masking tape first.

My spies tell me this will be priced the same as the Safari version; compared to a base M8 and 28mm Elmarit, there's a £2000/$3000 premium.

My spies tell me this will be priced the same as the Safari version; compared to a base M8 and 28mm Elmarit, there's a £2000/$3000 premium.

Ah, so the white paint must be made from crushed pearls!

Pete.

Unfortunately I got rid of my white vinyl belt, white leather shoes and safari suit from the '70s. I can imagine John Travolta jiving with this baby.