What would be your second camera??

jimleicam3

A bit OT, but I have several very good cameras, some considered top of their class, like Nikon D700 and F6, but these days I find myself alternating between M8.2 and M7 loaded with b&w film. I will carry both cameras together from time to time. Though yesterday, I had a crave for a Nikon manual body (they do rest my ageing eyes after straining them in the Ms' VF), and went out with my trusty old-like-new FM2n, TMY and 45/2.8 P.

First body is a M8.2 and the second is a M8.2, one with a short strap and the other with a long strap so they don't bang into each other, both black.

there you go!...have same strap setup with the M8 and r-d1.

It's nice to stay within one system; you can get more intimately acquainted with the lenses, you can check bodies vs other bodies when you run into issues, etc.

I shoot a D2x as well as the M8 - the latter being used for 95% of what I shoot. I am considering swapping the D2x out for a D700 though or may just get a second M8 if the cost of the bodies here in the UK drops below £1,500.

I had thought about the X1 as an option but I think a second M8 would be more use to me.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

M8u No:1

I agree with all those that say it depends entirely on what you may use a second camera for, my second cameras tend to have been my firsts for a while, in digital I started off with a Digilux 3, that led to an Olympus E-3 with these I quickly discovered that MF Leica R and Zeiss C/Y lenses did the bulk of my studio work. Auto focus zooms were handy for just about anything else. I personally prefer Olympus colour to eith Canon or Nikon, 4/3s crop comes in very handy too.

Digilux sold - all the legacy lenses sold (pretty much paid for eBay M8) - so the E-3 is the real 2nd camera with 11-22 (outstanding lens) on it most of the time and have kept 70-300 (= to 140-600) for a handful of community events that require some length.

But all that said, for ease of use + consistent quality good enough for business blog and general net stuff the little Panasonic LX3 is very hard to beat, annoying even.

And for my pet landscape project Fuji GW67111

If I were starting out again and was looking for a friend for my M8 I'd probably choose the latest Panasonic or maybe Olympus micro 4/3s and have fun using Leica M or R and Zeiss glass on them in addition to zooms

My main camera is the M9 backed up by an M8.

For safari, telephoto and macro work I use a Nikon D2x backed up by a D700. (Handy having a FF and cropped sensor.)

I also have a Hasselblad 503CX and an Hasselblad xPan. Plus a Nikon F and Nikkormat Ftn, both of which are worn our and act as bookends.

Cheers, Tom

Believe it or not, and I know I am going to get some flack for this. My second camera has become the Panasonic GF1 4/3 Lumix. It is compact, takes great shots, has a higher usable ISO than the M8 and accepts all the M mount lenses with the adapter. I hardly ever use my Nikon D300 DSLR any more except for macro and nature shots. BTW, the G series Lumix lenses are excellent. I think that Panasonic got more out their Leica relationship than did Leica. They now know how to make excellent glass.:)

I use my M8 as my major camera, and a 20D at work. I have been looking at the 5D MarkII as a replacement for my 20D. I have 3 Canon lenses. What would be your choice for a second camera?? I don't pay the bills with my camera!! Thanks, Jim

If you want to write a book you can use a pen or a pencil and all you need to do is to write something.

Even in photography,I see it the same way... same aspect of creating an image using a Reflex and wiew finder camera.They have fifferent approach and visibility to facilitate to make an image. lot of things are limited and different in these two system. So i think it is hard to compare those thing together.

So for me m6 is my second body or m9 would be more appropriate solution.

Edited by Cyril Jayant

Sadly, my second camera at this point is the M8, and not because I have bought an M9 (which I can't afford yet), but because my daughter moves too fast, so my primary camera is a Nikon D3. Fantastic camera, and the D3 and M8 are truly complementary, reinforcing each other.